L

Le Creuset reissues 1958 Raymond Loewy designed Coquelle dutch oven

1958-Raymond-Loewy-CoquelleWe’re already groupies of famed industrial designer Raymond Loewy, so how wonderful that Le Creuset is offering a limited edition reissue of the Coquelle — the cast iron dutch oven that he designed for the company in 1958. Mega thanks to reader Saundra for the tip!

1958-Raymond-Loewy-CoquelleLe Creuset is offering two vibrant colors of the sleek, oven to table design — a bright reddish orange called flame and turquoise. The reissued Coquelle retails for $375, which is spendy for sure, but golly — a fresh chance to own a simply gorgeous and well designed piece of kitchen history. Pam says she has a couple of pieces of Le Creuset — gifts from her Mom, who is a fan of the brand — and both Kueber women like them a lot, especially for slow cooking navy bean soup  and beef stews and other winter comfort foods yummy in the tummy. (They are also both #1 fans of cooking with vintage Club Aluminum.)

1958-Raymond-Loewy-CoquelleLoewy was the most influential industrial designer of the post-war era — designing products ranging from home goods like furniture and kitchenwares, packaging and logo design, industrial designs for trains, cars and other transportation. See his career highlights — and lookie that client list! — here.

• Of particular interest here in Retro Renovationland, in 1954 Loewy redesigned colorways for the groundbreaking Formica Skylark boomerang pattern, originally conceived by Brooks Stevens four years earlier. Loewy also worked with architect Stanley Klein and Andrew Geller through his firm Raymond Loewy Associates to help design the American Brand steel kitchen — a longtime favorite on the blog for its easily recognizable curves.

From the Le Creuset website:

In 1958, acclaimed industrial designer Raymond Loewy created a new and unique shape to add to the world-renowned range of Le Creuset cast iron cookware. Internationally famous for his designs for some of the most well-known consumer brands, Loewy created a striking, evocative design called the Le Creuset Coquelle. To celebrate this iconic design, Le Creuset is introducing the Coquelle to a new generation with a limited release.

1958-Raymond-Loewy-Coquelle

In addition to being a symbol of mid-century design, the Coquelle delivers the same outstanding cooking performance as every other piece of Le Creuset cast iron, ensuring that everything you stew, braise, simmer or bake will taste delicious.

1958-Raymond-Loewy-Coquelle

Features

• Colorful, long-lasting exterior enamel resists chipping and cracking; interior enamel is engineered to resist staining and dulling
  • Sand-colored interior enamel makes it easy to monitor food as it cooks, preventing burning and sticking
  • Wide handles provide even weight distribution and a secure grip
  • Phenolic handle is heat-resistant to 500°F
  • The lightest weight per quart of any premium cast iron cookware available

We always love to see companies launch a vintage reissue, and this Coquelle from Le Creuset is no exception.

1. Ryan Seeley says:

I have 4 different sizes of Cuisinart knock offs, in flame orange (they work great!) and several vintage pieces of Le Crueset in flame. Use them all the time! I will gladly spend the money on this pieces versus plunking down $349 for that clunky Apple Watch so many people are going crazy over!

2. hannah says:

Hi Phantom Pam!!! Hope you’re doing much better!

I have two of my Grandmother’s somewhere around here. A HUGE orange one Mom used to make spaghetti in. And, I have a smaller one (also orange) – both round though. The large one’s lid has gone missing for eons (or is it the bottom that’s gone missing?), the small on is intact. Well loved, but intact.

Now, I know what they are, and to treasure them even more than I already do.

These are a really beautiful design – but way off my price point as I need to focus on a sofa and chair (hopefully from Joybird) with the next work bonus. 😉

3. Jay says:

Considering the original and I are the same age, well I should look as cool and suave as this pot. Oh Well!
    They are definitly heirloom pieces to be handed down to the next generation.
    Pam, glad you are on the mend. Take it easy as if that’s possible.

4. Debbie says:

I MUST HAVE THIS IN AQUA!!!!!!!! I am so excited….this makes my heart happy!!!!! We are rennovating an Atomic Ranch Home and this will fit right in the Big Chill Kitchen!!!!

5. Laurie Louise says:

If it weren’t for the price, Mario Batali would seriously have to worry that I was about to throw him over for Raymond Loewy. Hope your arm is healing nicely, Pam! Thanks for the great post, Kate!

6. Mary Elizabeth says:

I agree! Well, if the apple watch would cook a stew as well as the other apps, it might be worth it. 🙂

Welcome back, Pam. Don’t wear yourself out. Just read and enjoy.

7. Amy Dietz says:

Gorgeous! I take a minimalist approach to cooking and the idea that I could cook, serve, and then refrigerate leftovers in one dish appeals to me. And the design is sigh-worthy.

I use cast iron for almost all my cooking, but I’m afraid I couldn’t afford to stock my whole kitchen with Le Creuset. Lodge has cast most of my cookware at their foundry right here in the USA. A few I got estate sales, presumably they outlasted their owner.

That said, my cast-iron dutch oven doesn’t get moved very often or very far. 🙂 I wonder how light Le Creuset’s version is?

Happy healing, Pam. Best wishes.

8. Iris Vank says:

Thanks for the compliment JP! The funny thing is: I have a light yellow Creuset vintage one, found at a fleamarket in the Netherlands for only 1 euro. It’s a shame it isn’t in the pictures at the links above. It doens’t have a lid though!

9. Jos says:

Hello,

If you like vintage Le Creuset pots like this Raymond Loewy, then please have a look at
    LeCreusetVintage.etsy.com

Authentic Le Creuset from the 50’s till the 90’s available.