Over the past year or two, at least seven of our readers have created their own midcentury modern retro ‘painted wallpaper’ using homemade stencils, templates and stamps. This snazzy solution may be a bit on the time consuming side, but it is also an affordable project — with endless possibilities. We gathered all the examples into this one, easy-to-check-out story.
1. Above: Karen used gold starburst stencils in the budget remodel of her pink bathroom.
Above: Karen’s idea was so fantastic that reader Nancy generously made a stencil for anyone in our retro community wanting to create a similar treatment on their walls.
2. Above: Readers Jim and Kathleen used the stencil pattern on with silver paint in their 1960 pink bathroom.
3. Above: Starburst stencils aren’t just for the bathroom — reader Pati created an accent wall in her bedroom using Nancy’s stencil pattern.
4. Above: Readers Jon & Trixi created a starburst stencil for their bathroom that mimicked the motif on their retro light fixture.
5. Above: Reader Lori did a fantastic job renovating her kitchen and devised a way to make her own hand painted Franciscan starburst wallpaper based on the popular vintage Franciscan dinnerware pattern.
6. Above: Jeff used painter’s tape and a little creativity to create his geometric retro modern accent wall design in his living room — an inexpensive way to decorate a large, empty wall.
7. Lindsay stenciled bees onto the walls of her gorgeous pink bathroom.