fed ex-1-2griswold-symbol-lidI am pretty darned excited. Yes, The Carnegie Museum of Art — which is mounting an exhibit on the work of industrial designer Peter Muller-Munk — accepted my offer to donate my New Old Stock Griswold Symbol pots, brochure and packaging to their collection. Mark your calendars: The exhibit opens in late November this year. For sure, I plan on jetting to Pittsburgh for opening day activities to bask in the glory of my name on a museum wall cover the story. Of course, it was boo to the hoo to say goodbye at FedEx — so before I sent my sexy sixties dutch oven and sauce pan on their way, one final photo shoot.

Farewell, my Griswold Symbol Pots by designed Peter Muller-Munk c. 1964:

peter muller munk-2I was really happy to make the donation…

peter muller munk-6Once I understood the history of these pots… and because they were New Old Stock…. I couldn’t imagine ever actually using them. Way better that lots of people get a chance to see them, than to have them malingering around my house.

peter muller munk-5Seriously, I get to have my name as donor on one of the those informative museum placards perched next to the item on display! How cool is that! Probably one of the top-ten coolest things to ever happen to me! I will be many years gone, resting under a granite (argh!) headstone that recalls, “She saved some pink bathrooms,” but for eons everlasting my name will live on in the art world beyond, adorning an informative museum placard next to two kitchen pots. Immortality — and its color is orange!

peter muller munk-7And ya know what else: Something left the house. I have too much stuff. Just too much. Yay! Something left the house!

peter muller munk-8See you, my lovelies, in November!

1. Sara of WA says:

Very cool! Congrats and good for you Pam. My dad donated his dog tag cord he braided from the remains of a parachute from the kamikaze who hit his ship during WWII to a museum. It’s important to show history to future generations, whether it’s war or design.

2. Shawn says:

Pam, I grew up in Pgh and in fact I took drawing classes at the Carnegie Museum when I was a child. I just want to say as one Pittsburgher (now living in London but hey, my whole family is still there!) we thank you for your sacrifice and donation!! Pittsburgh will be richer because of it!! 🙂 Thanks and while you are in Pgh, don’t forget to check out the Andy Warhol Museum downtown.

3. Ginene Nagel says:

Pam,
    I really enjoyed this post and your beautiful donation. I would be just as excited as you and now you know how a Vanderbilt or a Carnegie must feel with their belongings in museums.
    Ginene

4. Amy says:

“Immortality in Orange” Really, Pam, although it’s fun and it’s your passion, you DO work hard at finding & preserving this lifestyle & design history – and connecting people to things – you deserve recognition of this kind. Congratz!

5. Marc says:

Thank you Pam. Sometimes the best gems are best in places where they can be enjoyed by so many. I have family in Pittsburgh so now I have another excuse to visit!

6. Cara says:

I’m a longtime New Yorker but I grew up in Pittsburgh, and I have fond memories of the Carnegie Museum. This is wonderful news, Pam!