dental-sinkOur quest to Save the Pink Bathrooms received another nice boost week, when realtor.com did a story, “Can the pink bathroom get a little love, please”. Heck to the yeah! Over on our Facebook page (where we posted a link), reader Ashleigh responded by showing off her pink-tiled vanity and lookie her rare and wonderful dental sink! The story inspired a bunch of new readers taking the Save the Pink Bathroom pledge. For example, Joy said:

Hey, what a totally nifty site to stumble across! In fact, I just now walked back into my bathroom to see if I could see all that pinkitude with new appreciation — and I already can! Wow, it even looks like I might be ahead of the fashion curve, if this color scheme really is making a comeback.

…. This, by the way, is not an early- or mid-century house or bungalow, but a New York City apartment. It’s in a building about 100 years old, of the so-called “old-world family” type, with quite large apartments. During the 50s and 60s as far as I can tell, the big 8 room (maybe more, if you count the maid’s room!!) apartments got divided up, and some bathrooms added. My bathroom, in fact, got carved out of part of the original kitchen. I guess they couldn’t resist the unremitting pink scheme!

I used to wish like anything I could afford to rip it all out. But, now — I’m getting some new appreciation for it already! So, I’m taking the pledge… and since reading this charming site, it’s not just because I can’t afford to do anything else about it! Thanks very much!

gladding-mcbean-tiles
Ashleigh’s also is quite special: Made by Gladding McBean — oooooh!

More pledges at Save the Pink Bathrooms:

vintage pink bathroom
Nanette and Jim built their pink bathroom from scratch, and their guests think it is original to their 1945 home.

Robert — owner of three pink pathrooms — said:

Although much of the house was renovated about 10 years ago, the wonderful, (mostly) thoughtful homeowners decided to leave the bathrooms (mostly) in tact. All 3 have the original pink tile; counter tops, bath and shower surrounds, and back-splashes. (Did I mention it continues into the kitchen?)

At first, I hesitated, I mean THREE PINK BATHROOMS? But I love ‘em and pledge to keep ‘em pink!

vintage pink bathroom
We advised reader Diane on what color to paint her vintage pink bathroom — and she surprised us by putting a Lilly Pulitzer spin on the space.

Kimber — an unremuddler — said:

I have a 1940s townhouse that was “updated” within the last 10 years. Everything is in nearly new condition, but I’m ripping a lot of it out and returning to the charm of yesteryear. I lucked upon a building material salvage company that had vintage pink tile: I paid $45 for 600 sq feet of it. So I guess I’m taking the pledge to save pink bathrooms!

vintage-pink-trailer-bathroom
Shelly and Greg spent days carefully removing white paint from the vintage pink bathroom in their 1958 Universal Terra Cruiser trailer — affectionately named “The Love Shack.”

Lisa — in a prewar mill house — said:

My 1938 mill house has pink tub, toilet and bath! I am currently ripping off 1980’s wallpaper border and then painting to accentuate the pink! My bath’s shade of pink has undertones mauve and brown. Thinking of chocolate brown on my walls! I am so happy that so many are committed to restoring and saving these old homes and styles! :)

pink black bathroom
Sarah and Steve chose to “embrace the pink” and use a black and white color scheme to refresh their vintage pink bathroom.

Kathie — yes, we will all become “retro” — said:

Well, it took time for me to become retro myself, but as I get older, I love the look of anything that matches my age. A few years ago, I would have looked at the retro style baths and kitchens and thought this needs a total reno. We’re currently house hunting for a vintage style home and would go for the jugular if anyone suggested such.

pink-bathroom-remodel-37
Mike and Lindsey freshened up their two pink bathrooms — taking one from French Provincial to modern and saving an estimated $14,000 by working with the pink in their master bathroom.

And this very encouraging report from house-shopping Libroslibra:

House shopping in a late 40’s/early 50’s neighborhood. Lots of pink bathrooms on offer!!!!!

Hip hip hudee ring hurray for the continued pink bathroom love! Long live the pink bathroom!

Take the pledge on Save The Pink Bathrooms

***

See all of our stories about pink bathrooms on Retro Renovation here

CategoriesPink Bathrooms
  1. Renee says:

Thank you! I have read some of the articles on redos – hence my concern about reglazing – obviously not optimal due to care factors, but in this case may be a last resort. Tub removal not an option. Love the old size. But thank you for the Kohler Sink Cleaner recommendation – it sure won’t hurt to start there.

Would prefer to stick with the peach sink/toilet/tub theme – I currently have biscuit for the toilet – peach would be way cooler.

Thanks so much for your help! This site is great – I am really learning a lot.

2. Amber Dawn says:

For three years I’ve wondered, DOES MY BATHROOM COUNT AS “PINK?” The wall tiles are definitely a light peach, but the toilet and the sink are a darker shade which looks pink against the peach, but if it were against a more classic pink tile instead, it would probably have the opposite effect and it would look more peach than pink. So I’m not sure!! I’d like to say I saved a pink bathroom, but might be out on a technicality. The stickers on the bottom of the sink probably date it from 1951 – 1967, but I’m not sure what the exact color is. Maybe coral? https://flic.kr/p/uwnVja

3. kathleen says:

Pink and black bathrooms come from Mamie Eisenhower putting one in the White House in the private quarters.

4. Mary Elizabeth says:

Hi, Amber Dawn! I am looking at the Bemis toilet seat color chart and your online photos. American Standard had two colors that your sink and toilet might be. One is called “Venetian Pink,” which is the same color as my 1959 bathroom and is right around the same age as your bath. The other color is in the same color range but a shade darker. It is called “Coralin.” If you have to replace your toilet, or if you need a new toilet seat, you would have a hard time telling them apart. You need to consult the color chart in person, but I think you could could order Venetian Pink (or Bahama Pink in some manufacturers), and no one would know that it didn’t match your other pieces.

But by the definition of Pink Bathrooms on this site, yours is definitely one!

5. pam kueber says:

Yes, we have lots of stories on the history of pink bathrooms — I believe we were first on the internet to profile Mamie Eisenhower’s important role. (All the info in the realtor.com basically comes from our research.) How do you know the White House bathroom was pink and black, though? I’d love to connect to the primary research on this!

For example, see our 2009 story: https://retrorenovation.com/2009/09/30/mamie-eisenhower-and-mamie-pink-more-from-gettysburg/

And our first one, in 2008: https://retrorenovation.com/2008/03/30/mamie-eisenhower-unwitting-creator-of-the-iconic-color-of-the-50s-mamie-pink/

6. Amber Dawn says:

I took some more photos of our master bathroom today, and comparing them online, I think the color may be called Candlelyght. But Venetian Pink is VERY close. I took 4 colors and put them into one of my photos for closer comparison. https://flic.kr/p/uBD6fX

I like to think it’s pink, but really…..not exactly. Probably because I suspect it was built in the 60’s instead of the 50’s. The house was built in 1948, and the original bathroom is super tiny with white fixtures. Apparently it had AMAZING turquoise(?) Tile when it first debuted. Maybe someday we’ll tear out all the additional layers and let the original tile show, but it seems like a BIG project. My parents have several pedestal and wall-mount sinks (possibly even dental sinks) that the previous owners just tossed in the woods when they remodeled in the early 1980’s, so I’m gonna take one of those and use it to create some much-needed space.

Here’s the Original 1948 aqua(?) colored tile, if you look at the bottom below the mint green paint. https://flic.kr/p/uzjind I wish I knew what it looked like before it was renovated!

7. Wendy K says:

So glad to see realtor.com doing a feature on the pink bathroom. Also, they had a feature on those who don’t like the open kitchen concept. I could relate to that, too!! So glad there are so many of us not sucked in to a trend!!!

8. betsy says:

My sister in law wants to paint her pink tiles and change out the pink sink and tub. I have seen the tiles painted with a paint designed for them. I love the pink and and any color vintage baths really. I have a mint green and a cool blue.
    Not gonna change it at all.

9. mikey Renn says:

I love pink retro bathrooms- and kitchens. Right now I am looking at housing in the Youngstown, OH area and there are tons of midcentury and earlier homes on the market- with lots and lots of pink bathrooms! And all for under $50,000. Just type in Homes for sale and any city up in that area and go to the real estate sites- it’s so fun to look at all those pink bathrooms nobody knows about!

10. Myra Horn says:

Two years ago my identical twin sis and I bought a 1962 rancher. To our chagrin, baths had been totally remodeled to current “bleige” trend – white and beige equals blah/beige, bleige, to us. Wish the baths had been left alone cause they must have been pink or turquoise or seafoam green, betcha. Wish we had the money and ability to take them back to what they were meant to be. We love being together again as Medicare-card-carrying oldies and spending the rest of our days together. We also love, love, love this website!!!!! Keep the retro coming!