V

Vintage style medicine cabinets with rounded metal frame edges — we find a source

vintage green and pink bathroomJane was attentive to every details in her new vintage style bathroom — including installing a medicine cabinet with rounded framed edges trimmed in metal. It looks like it’s always been there — sans rust — and it’s affordable, too.

vintage medicine cabinetThe source: Ketcham Medicine Cabinets and Accessories. According to Ketcham’s website, these rounded corner mirrored medicine cabinets are available in 16″ x 22″ or 16″ x 28″ sizes with left or right handed swings.

vintage medicine cabinetJane purchased her Ketcham mirrored cabinet at Zoro.com, which currently has the 16″x 22″ size in left hand swing for $89.76 or right hand swing for $114.60, though they can also be purchased by calling Ketcham directly.

vintage medicine cabinet

Ketcham also has a variety of other styles of affordable medicine cabinets which you can see in their online catalog.

Thanks, Jane, for the awesome research!

See all our stories about vintage style medicine cabinets:

1. Kathy says:

Very nice and straightforward design that can be used in a lot of bathrooms.

Signature Hardware has some rather nice mid-mod type medicine cabinets, some with shelves and integrated lighting and stainless steel construction. Prices vary widely depending on size and features. It also stocks narrow corner medicine cabinets and a wide range of hard-to-find corner, wall mount and extra small bathroom sinks at pretty reasonable prices.

For something a littler more funky in sort of a rounded trapezoidal shape, but unfortunately with plastic shelves, I picked up this at Home Depot for only $50

Home Depot also stocks some decent budget MCM light fixtures.

Jelly jar lights have been used for a long time. This one is wall-mounted and is outdoor rated, so good for damp locations inside and outside:

wall-mounted jelly jar style $9 nickle/$4 black http://www.homedepot.com/p/Design-House-Satin-Nickel-Outdoor-Wall-Mount-Jelly-Jar-Wall-Light-507806/202636899

A search for closet and vanity lighting at Home Depot offers basic mid-century styles, which of course can be used elsewhere from $13-$20 (not outdoor rated):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-1-Light-Chrome-Interior-Wall-Fixture-6640200/204712483 and $13 A really useful wall-mount light with completely enclosed turtle shade and pull cord and integrated outlet. I have them in my bathroom with a GFCI breaker in the box.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Design-House-2-Light-Chrome-Ceiling-Mount-Fixture-with-Prismatic-Glass-501999/202500746 $15 basic ceiling light fixture suitable for kitchen, bath, hallway

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-2-Light-White-Drum-Flushmount-FL903/202022562 $20 slightly larger in white, no chrome

These utilitarian type fixtures are sometimes not on display, so it takes some looking, and you can find similar fixtures at other stores as well.

2. Paul in CT says:

Now I feel absolutely awful that when I renovated my two half baths, I replaced the vintage 1961 medicine cabinets with new wood composite units.

They looked just like this except with the glass shelves and the slot in the center to dispose of old razor blades.

I should have sold them. They were in mint condition.

Oh well……….

3. Kat says:

This looks just like the medicine cabinet in my bathroom! I was hoping that the inside would have glass shelves…at some point in my home’s history, one of the shelves broke and was replaced with an extremely thick piece of glass. I’d love to know where I could purchase a replacement.

4. Steve and Tara says:

THANK YOU!!! We have been searching the world for a vintage round-cornered medicine cabinet (or even just a mirror) that’s under 18 inches wide and isn’t all rusty and scratched up, and nobody seems to make them anymore (except for a couple of expensive and “modernized” designs that only kind-of look vintage). We were just about to give up and order one that would work OK but that we didn’t really like much, when we stumbled upon this article – and the vintage medicine cabinet we’ve been looking high and low for! Just bought it from Zoro. This is the final piece of our historically-accurate remodel, and we couldn’t have done it without you – thanks Jane and retro renovation!!!

5. Brenda says:

Hi there! Your bathroom is beautiful! I love your medicine cabinet with the rounded corners. I went to Ketcham’s website. All the rounded corner cabinets specify surface mount. But in your picture it looks like you have the cabinet recessed. Could you please tell me if it is indeed recessed. Thank you so much!

6. Lisa R says:

I called ketcham yesterday. There is now a recessed unit in the 16×22 size only. Model 105RSTW-REC. You need to specify right or left swing when opening. I was told ketcham does not sell direct to customers. Go online to find a retailer.