T

Two affordable porcelain-finish-on-steel shower bases from Bootz – starting at $159 at Home Depot

Are you looking for an appropriate retro or midcentury shower base — but (1) don’t have a big bathroom, (2) need to fit a shower base into the spot where an original tub was, and/or (3) are budget-conscious? At KBIS 2016 we spotted a new, porcelain-finish-on-steel shower base aka shower pan from Bootz. It’s just 30″ wide, and just $159 at Home Depot. Continuing our research, we discovered they also have a slightly bigger version that’s 32″ wide — a little more elbow room if you have the space for it — and it is listed as $215 at Home Depot.

The 60″ x 30″ Bootz ShowerCast model

Showercast_lineBoth widths look like they have similar features. See all the specs for this design on the Bootz website.

And the press materials include:

All Bootz plumbing fixtures are proudly “Made in the USA” and comply with the following standards: ASME A112.19.1/CSA B45.2 Enamelled Steel Plumbing Fixtures, ASTM E162 Surface Flammability, ASTM E662 Smoke Density, ASTM F462 slip-resistant bottom for safety, and the Buy American Act.

Since 1937, Bootz Industries has strived to become the industry leader in the manufacture and delivery of “porcelain-on-steel” bathtubs, lavatories, and kitchen sinks. Careful attention to detail includes: on- time delivery, product quality, handling and carton design.

Contact your nearest plumbing wholesaler or Home Depot Store.

The 60″ x 32″ Bootz ShowerCast Plus model bootz showercast plusThe ShowerCast Plus model is two inches wider. See specs on this design on the Bootz page.

ShowerCastPlus_lineI offer these additional thoughts, though:

• The good news about these two shower bases is: These are compact. They can fit into existing tub alcoves or in bathrooms where space is at a premium.
  • The bad news is: These are compact. Elbow room is limited by overall dimensions once a shower door is installed. You’d have more elbow room if you put in a shower curtain rather than a glass door, but then you risk splashies outside the shower.
  • If you want more width, have the space, and can afford it, see our stories on Kohler cast iron shower bases. You could also go with something like a preformed terrazzo shower pan (not sure if this can still be obtained and at what sizes) or with a wider base made with a material like Swanstone or fiberglass. That said, I think I really prefer the idea of the porcelain enamel steel or cast iron bases, or the terrazzo — for historical authenticity. Of course, this latter stuff can chip if you drop something sharp on it. A solid surface material may be able to be sanded down. Decisions. Decisions.
  • Hey, remember my video that went viral when I first published it? I talk about my Swanstone base and why I wish I’d gotten an even wider one.

How to install a Bootz tub or shower base — fun video!

Howdy, hudee!

Okay, so now a funny story, in case there is anyone left reading this far. Kate and I walked the floor at KBIS and that’s when we discovered this shower base. I was quite excited to see this product, and we went up and talked to the team that was running the display.

porcelain enamel shower base
The shower base at KBIS

We introduced ourselves, and explained how Kate had just installed a Bootz sink with a hudee ring. The Bootz team perked up right away — they said that they had heard me on the microphone (the Wilsonart display was right next door) talking about hudee rings when I gave a media presentation about our new laminate collection with Wilsonart. [I say ‘howdy, hudee’ a lot.] Well, you can imagine how pleased we were to talk hudee rings with the pros at KBIS. We feel so… retro geeky insider! Howdy, hudee!

Link love:

CategoriesShower Bases
  1. Kate says:

Yes! An this is why I try to do as much as I can myself. Because contractors sometimes are not careful enough and cause damage while they work! When I do the work myself, it may not always be exactly perfect, but I only have myself to blame if it isn’t!

2. pam kueber says:

My DIY skills extend to: Painting walls, wallpapering — and writing checks. Alas. You rock my world, doodle!

3. ineffablespace says:

I think in the decision matrix you have to decide where you are going to spend or save.

If I am going to use a really budget-friendly materials I consider the reversibility of the installation, how easy it is to retrieve whatever it is, how easy it is to replace it.

Inexpensive sink, sink faucet —easy to replace as a DIY.
    Inexpensive toilet–easy to replace as a DIY.

Inexpensive bath tub–harder to replace, requires removal of at least two rows of tile, new water proofing if it also has a shower, and retiling.

Inexpensive shower valve or shower pan/receptor–essentially requires a gut job, and not easy, even for a plumber to retrofit into an old build.

Just something to think about.

4. Jackie says:

That’s why if I want something “unusual” installed, I buy it myself and tell the contractor to put it in. I’ve found out just by talking most have NO IDEA what midcentury is, and can’t fathom why anyone would want a room to look 60 years old as opposed to putting in the newest and trendiest.

5. Joe Felice says:

This would worth considering for an old fart like myself, who someday, won’t be able to step over and into a tub. Following the diner, I’m NOT eager to begin any new projects however. All the disappointment and cost overruns just take all the fun out of it.

6. Jay says:

Yeah, $$ for the labor and time. I had to have mine tiled because of the small stall shape and size. The tile guy I hired did a tub surround in my last house so I didn’t hesitate to use him but I think building a stall shower was a little out of his element. The end result is so so, tht entrance was not square so it precluded having a glass door. I wonder how long the job will hold up. So was swanstone the custom material?

7. ineffablespace says:

The custom material in this case was Corian, in “Silver Birch” which has a terrazzo like appearance. The fabricator made a shower base which has one corner clipped out of it, and an asymmetrical drain, two big reasons I could not use an off-the rack receptor.

Subsequently he has fabricated a vanity top, which is installed in an alcove and has a short, coved tiling lip around three sides and a matching sink, and a shower shelf all in the Silver Birch. Then he made me a custom waste-basket that fits into a spot in the vanity in white. The hardware on the vanity is white Corian from Rock Solid

This bathroom is tiny which is why it required a number of custom things, but the work is so nice, I am considering more of the same in the hall bath, which starts next.

Corian is soft and can scratch, and I would probably not use it in a bathroom where people dyed their hair, but scratches can be buffed out and the entire surface reconditioned if necessary.

8. Melanie says:

Wow! Thank you for this post and info!
    This is the missing piece for my proposed bathroom remodel. Hubby is going to need a walk in soon and I’ve been scratching my head about what I want to do about a shower pan. This is IT. Currently living in 500 sq ft home that was built in 42. Was a rental for many years, so has no character left. I’m trying to take it back on a tiny budget.

9. Lynda says:

Great find for a budget and a DIY job. About 12 years or so ago we used a 32″ x 60″ acrylic base by Americh. It was the smallest width we could find to replace a cast iron tub. I think the acrylic is a nice material. It has held up and still looks nice. The fiberglass is not a good choice, in my opinion. However, I would have used the above base or the Kohler cast iron base if they had been available at the time. Thanks for the info, I will pass this along to remodeling friends!

10. RangerX says:

Have been trying to purchase the Bootz ShowerCast plu 60″ x 32″ now for several weeks with no success. Special ordered thru Home Depot here in Boise Idaho (who carries the Bootz in 60″ x 30″) and after three week of being told the shower pan is on it’s way… was just informed that this item is not available!???! Tried calling the sales rep for this area and got the same response.

The contractor who is doing may bathroom remodel has been on hold now for several weeks waiting for this shower pan to arrive and now we must go with another option.

A shame because Bootz is made in America (Evansville IN) and I really wanted to go with their steel pan (the 60″x 30″pan is just too small for a big guy like me).

Not sure when Bootz started making this larger size shower pan, perhaps it is so new no one carries it yet.

11. Sweetbriar says:

This is a Wonderful list! I want to take out my bathtub and put in a walk in shower in the same footprint. I expect to stay here forever and sitting in the tub will probably never happen again. It looks like the Bootz is just right for me.

12. Art says:

where can I find a flange that will fit the existing pipes I’ve looked in home depot and lowes they don’t have I ordered a bootz shower pan