colorful rug dining roomPam has been in the mood to share some of her new house goodies — like her Geneva Kitchens banner and her ‘new’ NOS Live Better Electrically Medallion Home doorbell, and she invited me to play Show ‘n Tell, too. What’s new at my house? My colorful, cheery dining room rug. Believe it or not, it took me quite a while to find just the perfect rug for my space — I must have looked at thousands of rugs before deciding on this one — but I had some stiff criteria for my search…

colorful rug dining roomPrior to this new rug, I had a solid orange rug made of carpet tiles (Flor). I liked the look of the solid orange rug, but I had used it under the dining room table for many years — including since my dog Leo was a puppy in our last house — and it was looking quite tired and stained from all the dropped food stains and doggy dirt that had collected on it over the years.

colorful rug dining roomFor my new rug, I wanted something that was colorful, primarily warm hues since that coordinates well with the other colors found in my dining room, would hide future food spills and doggy dirt better than a solid color, and was not too high contrast and patterned. I came across loads of extremely bold, graphic, high contrast rug patterns in my search — many of which would have made me feel dizzy standing on them. There were so many greiged out options and muted colors that just wouldn’t have fit well into my Crayola bright interior decor. And then there were still more that were close, but had too much purple, blue or green in them to be to my liking. I also didn’t want to spend a fortune on a rug likely to have food dropped on it. Finding a new rug is hard work!

colorful rug dining roomFinally, I found the Pop Abstract multi-color rug on Overstock.com and decided to give it a try. (Note, I purchased the 7’10″x 10’2″ size, which is no longer available on Overstock, but the same rug in that size — called the Splash Rug Multi-Colored Brushstrokes — is still available on Wayfair.)

colorful rug dining roomI liked how the rug seemed to pull together all of the different colors going on in my dining room and adjoining living room — the aqua from the walls, green from another wall, orange from everywhere, white from the tulip table and chairs, etc. and make everything come together nicely. Even though the size of the rug (7’10″x 10’2″) was a little larger than I needed, I preferred going with a slightly larger rug under the dining table instead of one that felt a bit too small.

colorful rug dining roomThe extra added rug space is also now a favorite relaxation and napping spot for our resident pup, Leo, too!

1. judy H. says:

Kate! Love the room! The table and chairs look fabulous on that gorgeous rug and china cabinet are the icing on the cake. You did a fantastic job on your dining room, please come and help me do mine!
    Oh…how could I forget…LOVE the doggie…the cherry on top!!

2. lynda says:

I think the rug looks perfect for your space. I can spend way too much time looking for rugs for myself and others. I have found Overstock to be quite a deal compared to other sites. Sometimes they call the rug a different name than everyone else, but when you get the rug, the name on the label is the same as the others. Maybe they have agreements with certain manufacturers, not sure. So glad you found just the right rug, not an easy job!

3. Vince says:

Wow! that looks good! It’s so bright and colourful, and in a way where it would go well with a lot of different décors. If you put it in a room with an entirely different colour palette, the rug would still match, and it would probably look like a different rug!

4. tammyCA says:

Pretty rug..it reminds me of a vintage multi-striped one my in laws had that I liked. I just love your house & the refreshing wall colors & how you combined & balanced them so well.

5. Carolyn says:

My mother in law has the same china cabinet, along with the table and chairs! Do you know anything about it? Where did you get yours? You room looks great and I LOVE the rug!

6. Joe Felice says:

That is pretty. Leo approves. Oh, finding the right rug is very-hard work and time consuming! I finally gave up and went with Flor squares, which, as you know, can be mixed and matched in an infinite number of patterns. It’s actually fun designing with the squares, and, if you don’t like the end result, you can simply change squares, which I had to do with my living room one, which was also all orange with a brown border.

Besides all the “usual” constraints and criteria, I had to get a rug that works for the kitties (3). Turns out, they are attracted to the texture of Flor, and LOVE to scratch on it, which is great, because they cannot harm it, and it doesn’t move across the room, no matter how hard they try. (What they do is actually more like kneading than scratching.) With my old throw rugs, I came home one day to find both of them piled in the middle of the living room. I wish I had film of how they did it! It just evoked love from daddy, as do all the antics that our house companions perform.

7. AlsoCarolyn says:

Great space! the rug is awesome. I might need to buy it… I just don’t know where I am going to put it, but I feel like there is definitely a floor somewhere in my house in need of it!