S

Susan’s vintage wood doors with a sliding six-pane window

vintage-wood-door-window-drops-down-screenDid Grandpa make these interesting doors, or were they mass-produced? Here’s a woddity to wonder about and to ask — has anyone else ever seen a door like this before — and is there a particular name for this nifty wood design other than the rather blasè ‘sliding storm & screen’? Susan is the lucky owner and writes:

We own a 1956 Texas Ranch home, and the house has these really cool exterior doors. I’ve looked all over the internet, but can’t find the door. It is a wooden door, with the top half with 6 glass panes. That part drops/slides down to expose the screen, thus making it a 1/2 screen door! Any idea what this style of door is called? Thanks!

1. Susan says:

I have the same door going into my garage in my 1956 built home in Tx. Doors were most likely made at William Cameron a local mill company, which has not been in operation for quite sometime.

1. Oscar says:

I have this door as well. I have No clue Where it comes from. I fished it out of a construction dumpster in North Miami Beach. I little bit aways from Texas if you ask me. I love it I’m just wondering how to lock the window in place and unlock it when I need too

2. Louise Dodson says:

I have a door like this that leads from the kitchen to the garage. Our house was built in 1958 and remember the wonderful breeze coming in, especially when the attic fan was on, pre air conditioner years. My parents had this home built and it is an original door. My home is in Muskogee, Oklahoma.

3. Martha P. says:

I live in a 1933 Rock House in West Texas. It has this door, exactly, leading from the kitchen to side porch. I love it. Mine does not look home-made, but more manufactured and finished. But it is part of the original home. Great for a quick breeze blowing through after I burn a piece of toast. lol.

4. Jennifer says:

I live in a ranch home in west Texas. We currently have that same door between our laundry room and our garage. From the other comments, this appears to be a Texas thing

5. Danica says:

I live in South Texas. Family built home in 1953. We have this door leading out from the kitchen to the garage.