F

Flooring for a 1970s kitchen or living area: Moroccan-style Filigree luxury vinyl flooring from Mannington

Nosing around flooring websites for what’s new, I spotted this new Moroccan-style “Filigree” luxury vinyl flooring just out from Mannington — note, it’s sheet flooring incorporating a 6″ tile design. This tile reminds me of sheet flooring from the 1970s — hurray for pattern finally coming back to vinyl floor tile!

Moroccan- and Cuban-style tiles are a very popular contemporary look today. But — designs fairly similar to this were also all the rage in the 1970s, albeit there were real color-colors then. If you have a 1970s house, I think this tile would work given its faded look. (The full-strength colors in another Mannington line, Deco, make that tile too contemporary for a 70s restoration look, in my opinion.)

Filigree comes in four washed out colors. The other two:

Above: Hey, beige!

Mannington luxury vinyl sheet flooring: here.

CategoriesFlooring
  1. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Norman, I don’t think I’ve showed any images on the blog. I should also say: Vinyl AND tile. Here’s a book that heads in the 70s direction: http://amzn.to/2oYMLDz (affiliate link) These Armstrong books are great resources for decorating ideas — they really pushed the envelope

2. Norman says:

Thank you, Pam. I thought maybe you had something specific in mind. I guess maybe you just meant “feel” like the 1970’s. ;^)

3. Karen says:

In the 70s my parents replaced worn linoleum in our eat-in kitchen with sheet vinyl (Armstrong?) in a tile pattern similar to what you have posted, but they chose a rich color palette that was not too common then– a deep teal was the primary color, and there were many other shades incorporated if you got down and looked closely. It was low luster, looked brand new forever and never had to be replaced even for our family of 4 kids and a dog. I remember that the design hid crumbs, etc. so well that if you dropped something on the floor, you had to get down on your hands and knees and lay the side of your cheek on the floor to get a 3-D effect of whatever you dropped to find it. It always looked good and people raved about it for many years.

4. Freda Simpson says:

Info for 50s flooring 6 inch square vinyl squares. Greenish color. On old doctors and elementary school flooring. Where to purchase replace tiles. Still good on some areas of the building

5. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Freda, See this story, Armstrong or Mannington VCT might be your best bet, but you’ll have to cut the tiles down.

Be Aware: The materials, layers and products — including flooring, adhesives, etc. — in our old buildings can contain hazards — such as asbestos and lead. Consult with properly licensed professionals to assess what you are working with so that you can make informed decisions. For more info see my Be Safe/Renovate Safe page here >> https://retrorenovation.com/renovate-safe/

6. MSH says:

Sigh. Of course the beige (Brass, they called it) is discontinued. I’m having a heck of a time finding something for my bronzy/brown/gold tiled bathroom! Even the salesperson I spoke with at a big flooring showroom laughed…yep, everything is gray, gray, gray right now.