O

Outrageous vintage pagoda lampshades — my latest treasure

vintage pagoda lamp shadesWhat’s (old) new to my hoard? These crazy silk lampshades make quite the statement: They are large — 16″ tall and 21″ wide at the bottom and super decorative — with crazy swoopies along the top and bottom; the swoopees are all metal-construction underneath the braided trim. I call the pair lampshades “pagoda style” — they look like they should be topping tall chalkware figural lamp bases.
$20 for the pair at a recent estate sale. The old fabric smells funny, so I am going to strip it and replace it with something that will look good in my Mahalo Lounge. I’m pretty sure I can save the shiny gold braided trim, it looks it goes on independently.

Lamp shades are Very Important. Like fabric window treatments, they seem to often be a last-, or forgotten-, or afterthought-, or simply scary- frontier.

What’s (old) new to your hoard? T

Categoriestiki and bars
  1. Kathy says:

I find that putty anything musty in a garbage bag with a lot of charcoal briquettes works well. I usually put the briquettes in paper lunchbags punched with holes and stapled shut to keep the items clean. Close up tight and check on them in a week or two. Swich out the charcoal if needed. Also works to demustify inside old drawers and cabinets and trunks.

2. Marie Gamalski says:

Pam if you want to keep the fabric and lose the “smell” place some charcoal in a brown paper bag w/the shades, place them in a box and leave them in your garage, basement for a bit… the charcoal absorbs and neutralizes smells. Ive done this to remove moth ball odor as well as stinky gym smell????

3. Linda says:

I’ve gotten rid of some musty smells by just leaving the items on my coved patio on a dry, breezy day.

4. Mary Elizabeth says:

Love the bell shades. I found a similar one in an off-white, complete with scalloped trim, in a not-to-be-named discount department store. It is on a 1960s cylindrical china patterned lamp that looks similar to one my grandma had back then. I got it at Goodwill and DH rewired it for me.

I love the comments on how to get the musty smell out of the shades. Since you likely will replace the fabric anyway, I’d like to hear that you tried some of them. My favorite from tent and trailer camping days–put the object in a large pillowcase or laundry bag with organic, nice smelling fabric softener sheets and leave for several weeks. But I want to try spraying vodka on stuff. Sounds like fun!

5. linoleummy says:

It will be great to see those shades in the wild of the Mahalo Lounge. And to see pictures of the things everyone has mentioned because yep, uploaders are too much fun. I’ll send a pic of a lamp I’d only seen on your uploaders until I found this one needing an overhaul.

6. MJ says:

Works for me, too,Linda. Sometime outdoor sunshine will do the trick, too.
    That’s lovely fabric and I’m wondering if the trim on the wires is permanently wrapped or crocheted onto the wires.
    Every time I found a period lamp my husband would nix the buy. I had to go along, since I had nixed a few of his passionate wants! But these shades do make me want to go looking again!