A

Albert van Luit 1964 “Du Barry” vintage wallpaper designed by John Leigh Spath

With just one corner of the dining room left, I ran out of leopard print fabric to cover the walls above the wainscoting in my Mahalo Lounge. Scouring my stash — no: It’s a hoard, and I’m not apologizing, because it came through for me! — of vintage wallpaper rolls collected over the past 15 years, I came across 21 linear feet of this 1964 paper — “Du Barry” by John Leigh Spath for Albert van Luit. So excited! The colors — gold, reddish bronze, and dark brown — are perfect — and I’ve always wanted to get some vintage metallic wallpaper into the house.

I carefully measured, cut, and staple-gunned. There was just enough. Hey, I even did a plumb line thingy with some twine. So the lines look straight. “soproud”

Although my punch list is probably still 50 items long, the Mahalo Lounge is really getting there. If I get time, I may try to make a little video this weekend. For now, enjoy the continued sneak peeks.

I have company coming this weekend, and I need to clean the darned house, get food, study Mai Tai recipes — and keep getting and staging accessories into the lounge to keep dialing up the krazy.

I’ll be back on the blog July 5. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Categoriestiki and bars
  1. Barbara says:

Happy 4th!
    Your hoard of gems came threw one more time.
    Looks great on the wall!
    If you want to get your house cleaned, but, sick and tired of cleaning, you invite friends over to your party. It always worked for me.
    It’s crazy party time!
    Barbara

2. Stacy says:

That wallpaper is fantastic! One of the things I love about the tiki bar look is the whole “evolved/collected over time” eclecticism of the decor…so the mix of your wall treatments is perfect. Can’t wait to see more ! Have a great 4th. 🙂

3. Karin says:

I like how the Baroque pattern of the wallpaper is “pushed back” by the horizontal elements, giving it a casual contemporary edge. It works well. Have a wonderful 4th of July from Toronto, Canada.

4. Jay says:

Very Nice! I like that you very quickly stapled it up in the same manner as the leopard print material, no messy prep and paste. Enjoy your long holiday weekend.

5. te says:

Looks great with your dentils , bambooish light switches, and the leopard prints. Keep up the updates! It’s like a a really good book your mahalo lounge

6. Allison says:

That is a ridiculously gorgeous wall paper!

And how beautifully it both coordinates and contrasts with your tiki theme.

One of the real delights of tracking down vintage goodies is not just the treasure-hunting thrill of finding them but the wonderful excitement of finally putting them into their perfect forever place, .

7. LA Leslie says:

OMG Pam, I cannot believe I am READING this post less than a week after randomly picking up a lot of like 50 wallpaper samples from this before unknown (to me) person! I looked up on eBay like every other person only because well I had no idea and was curious finding only one other listing and leaving it there. I have to send you the pics – these samples are wild…super ornate, crazy and NOT cheap for the time. Most are dated early 70’s AND only on loan from the Pacific Design Center here in Los Angeles yikes I wonder if I better go return them, LOL!

8. Pam Kueber says:

LA Leslie! Howdy! Yes, send me samples. But are ya saying: You can still get the 70s designed reproduced by AVL?

9. LA Leslie says:

Hi Pam,

I just saw your reply – SO SORRY! I will take photos of the samples and let me know which ones or all your like and will mail to you. Looks like this was just something unearthed and donated as I picked it up at a local thrift store since it looked like a cool stash.