Where to find oversize sink drains and strainers for a farmhouse sink

Several readers have asked: Where can they find oversized kitchen sink drains and baskets for their vintage kitchen sinks? Seems like today’s standard for the opening to the kitchen drain is 3.5 inches. But back in the day, drain openings seem to have been as wide as 5.5 inches. Where to find parts? I find some answers — but maybe the community can help find even more?! 

This issue came to my attention when in a comment on my mega research about Farmhouse Drainboard Sinks, Jennifer wrote:


We need to find a sink basket for a vintage sink that has a 5-inch drain opening? Does anyone know can we purchase one? Thank you!!!


Where to find an oversize drain for a kitchen sink

My first, go-to place for questions like this is deabath.com. And indeed, they have had a special fitting for an oversized kitchen drain specially made:

Here’s what they say about their Oversize Kitchen Sink Drain — which gets ya to 5.5 inches.

So, you bought an antique sideboard sink, had it refinished, built your kitchen around it, and the plumber says “There’s no drain that fits this sink”.  We have a solution!  We are machining a ring and backing plate that our regular kitchen sink drain will sit into, but gives you a OD of 5 1/2”.  The ring “floats” so all you have to do is seal it with a bit of plumber’s putty when installing.  Two finishes available.  Sorry, we still have no provision for a garbage disposal.  Supplied with complete drain and 4” tailpiece.

Golly, I LOVE deabath. They are so retro geeky about their hardware! From childhood on, I have always been happiest in a… hardware store.

Okay. Anyway. Another reader, James, popped up in the comment thread, balking a bit at the price. He said:

I’m having the same trouble :(. Luckily, I have the drain, I just don’t have a basket to fit it. My plumber suggested I change the whole thing, but I can’t find a replacement. That deabath.com option is, indeed, hella expensive. I’m not sure I can justify that :(.

Please note, I permit balking at prices here on the blog. But not much more. That’s because: Machining parts is no small deal; running a business is no small deal; and running these niche businesses can be a very good way to: lose money. Heck, I lost money trying to sell TEE SHIRTS. 

Okay. So I did some more research. Is there any cheaper way? Try these links, maybe something will fit, heck if I know:

Other thoughts: If you are starting with a vintage kitchen sink: DO NOT THROW OUT the drain and drain pieces! They may be: Golden!

  1. Todd McBride says:

    American Plumbing, Des Moines, Ia had 5.5 in drain/basket assemblies nos as of a couple years ago. They have been in business on Grand Ave since 1936. In the basement is a trove of w/c lids

  2. Andrea says:

    If you are buying or installing a vintage or antique farmhouse type sink, make sure it has the drain FLANGE (the part that goes on the underside to connect the sink to the drainpipe). I scored an early 20th c. wall hung cast iron and porcelain kitchen sink for free on CL, and was feeling pretty smug. That smug feeling evaporated when the plumber pointed out that the cast iron flange was cracked, and no he didn’t know where to get one.

    I called and emailed many sources, including DEA Bath and NO ONE had a source for this part. I got very lucky, as the single listing on Ebay turned out to be the correct fit for my sink.

    My sink is missing the entire drain assembly – there is just a porcelain hole. Plumber # 2 also did not know where to get a drain assembly in the correct size – and he was sympathetic to vintage fixtures.

    My local dollar store sells a sink strainer that is like a wide chrome ring, with a dome shaped piece of wire screen, that will fit in many sizes of drains, including wide vintage ones.

    For a stopper, there many variations (on Ebay)that are colored silicone type materials. They are wide and will completely cover the drain and make a good seal. I bought a couple of different types for about $ 2.00 each, including shipping from China. The one that works best has a metal part in the middle that pops the cover up, and also works as a strainer. The dollar store screen is much finer so I pop that it after washing dishes. The suction is strong enough to suck regular sized utensils into the drain, so a good strainer is important.

  3. Carolyn says:

    I wonder if industrial (makes me think food manufacturing since I’m in the center of sausage and cheese) or institutional (schools or anywhere they’d have a cafeteria) supplies might be an option.
    Temporarily, you could probably jury-rig a gasket under the biggest strainer you can find.
    At one time, I was sans basket and bought a flexible round “seal” thing made specifically for that purpose – make sure you scrape all the food off your dishes, start running the water and then lay the thingie over the drain to assure a good seal. Be aware of it so you don’t accidentally shift it and break the seal.
    Now I’m intrigued and will start researching. Tried Lehman’s already but maybe am not using the right search term.

Comments are closed.