T

That time you buy a 1959 house with three bathrooms built by a plumber and his brother, a tiler

What happens in 1959 when you are building a house, and you are a plumber, and your brother, a tiler. You end up with three — count ’em: Three! — close-to-original condition, lollipop-pastel-colored tile 1959 bathrooms in your house. Carolyn is just the second owner of this treasure chest, and she isn’t changing anything. Yesterday we looked at Carolyn’s amazing pink bathroom — oh, that Cinderella! Today: her blue bathroom, vintage wallpaper still intact.

Nearly-original condition: There appears to be a newer toilet, and it’s possible the wallpaper is newer — although it may well be original — and all that said: It all looks so very well maintained! I also spy: A Hall-Mack Revolving toothbrush holder aka “Concealed Lavatory Unit”.

Carolyn writes:

I really am lucky! Just for the heck of it, here’s the blue bathroom.

The main treat here is the three extra nozzles which squirt you in the middle. I imagine these aren’t too common in 1959 unless you happen to be getting a house dreamt up by a plumber. Just to round out my palette, I also have a yellow powder room. So lucky!

Best,

Carolyn

Thank you for sharing, Carolyn! Gorgeous!

Be sure to also see Bathroom #1 in Carolyn’s new/old house — the pink and gray bathroom with amazing Cinderella bathtub

Resources for pastel tile bathrooms:

1. Pam Kueber says:

Fantastic story. I will probably make it its own blog post. Love:

I’m leaving out the part about me sweating and having to endure an open house and practically spitting at other innocents that came to look at the open house. And the flat tire I got because I was just too excited and pulled in too close to the curb.

2. Carolyn says:

I think both the seller’s realtor and my realtor were a bit befuddled, but also interested enough in selling a house that they just sat back and watched. The seller was a bit saddened when I asked if he had saved the old light fixtures (alas, no) because I know he would have really liked me to have them.

3. Carolyn says:

Truth be told, I bought the house because of the hall mark tooth brush holders. I had never seen such a cool thing before.

4. Amy in Sacramento says:

Congrats on scoring such a beautiful house, Carolyn. Thank you so much for sharing your story and the pics. Keep ’em coming! 😉

5. Mary Elizabeth says:

Regarding wiping down the tile after every shower–I have been doing it since we repaired the plastic tile in our bath 6 years ago. I use a microfiber cloth hung in the shower for the purpose. It takes me only between 60 and 80 seconds, and it is well worth it, as I rarely need to use cleaner on the tile.

6. Alison French-Tubo says:

Karin, thank you for sharing your suggestion, I have been considering buying a steamer specifically for my 1959 grout and this makes me more hopeful it would work.

7. Jeannie says:

Yay, another three bathrooms saved!!! I have used Zap! Professional Tile and Grout Restorer for grout, and it works wonderfully.

8. Gen says:

Thanks for the pictures of the blue bathroom, it’s so pretty! I can’t wait to see the kitchen, please share some photos! Congratulations on your find, i love your story of how you got it! ????