Polka dot patterns are a favorite for retro dresses — so, how about for the blue countertop of a retro kitchen remodel? Bridget shows us how, with her recently completed new kitchen featuring a tropical blue countertop with a polka dot pattern from Wilsonart’s Virtual Design Library. Props for getting some real pattern on the floor, too! Let’s take a look at more of this personality-rich kitchen’s design features >>
We bought our house two years ago as a “fixer upper”. The house was originally built in 1910, with its last renovation being a half finished DIY over 20 years ago.
I was OK with dealing with a janky kitchen for a couple years if it meant getting the kitchen of my dreams.
Blue polka dot kitchen countertops set the scene:
This year, I was finally able to go from Pinterest board to reality, and we demo’d the kitchen to its studs and built it back with the help of some brilliant contractors (REM Home Improvement located here in Lynden). The counter is Tropical Spot by Wilsonart, and the beautiful hardware on the cabinets and drawers are from the Lews Hardware Two Tone Collection in Robin’s Egg Blue.
I asked Bridget what friends and family thought of her polka dot countertops.
Family and friends were very apprehensive when I told them I was getting a robin’s egg blue polka dot countertop. But now that they’ve seen it, they absolutely love it! I have to admit that I was a little scared how it would turn out as well! Sometimes things don’t turn out how you envision them, like “would this read as mid-century or that I love clowns?”, but I’m relieved it’s better than I hoped.
- Blue countertop: Wilsonart Tropical Spot laminate from their Virtual Design Library.
- Metal countertop edging: Heffron’s retro banding
- Note, see my story: 6 places that make metal counter edge trim — stainless steel, aluminum, and faux
- Patterned flooring: Mannington Tapestry luxury vinyl tile sheet
- Backsplash tile: Bridget says these are off-the-big-box-shelf white glass subway tiles.
- Sink: Kohler Cape Dory Drop-in Cast Iron 33 in. 4-Hole Single Bowl Kitchen Sink in White
- Faucet: Kingston Brass
- Cabinetry: Sourced from a local hardware store/info on brand not available
- Blue cabinet knobs and pulls: Lews Hardware Metal Mushroom Knobs and Metal Bin Pulls in Robin’s Egg Blue
- Hanging pot rack: Elegant Designs Home Collection
- Yellow paint: Info on brand/color not available
- Curtains and hand towels: AVintageLook on Etsy
From “janky” to “whimsically wonderful” — that’s how I’d subtitle this wonderful kitchen transformation. Thank you, Bridget, for sharing your story, your photos, and your resources — and for setting a great example for taking a risk and choosing some real personality — blue polka dot countertops, hooray! — to one’s home.