I

Is this Saul Bass Pomona tile in Cody’s 1964 bathroom?

1964 cinderella bath tub pink with gray pomona tileToday, a delicious 1964 bathroom with a mystery. Cody knows that his 1964 bathroom is something special — it has a Cinderella bath tub and an original pink sink surrounded by Formica Skylark laminate. But my eye went right to that sculptural gray trim tile at the top of the tub surround. Could that be Saul Bass for Pomona Tile’s Distinguished Designer Series? At minimum, it seems to be “in the style of.”

Formica Skylark boomerang laminate on a bathroom counter with a pink sinkCody wrote me this weekend:

Hi there,

Just thought I would share a pic of my master bathroom in my mid-century home, featuring a pink Cinderella tub, matching sink, and boomerang pattern Formica counter. These fixtures and countertop are original to the home, built in 1964. I really enjoy your site and I hope you will share this photo for others to enjoy as well!

Best,

Cody

pomona dimensional tile by saul bass possiblyLovely! I told Cody that the sculptured trim tile around the Cinderella bath tub might be Pomona Tile by Saul Bass. I don’t see it exactly anywhere online, but it surely is reminiscent. Cody says there is dimensional tile in a “birdwing” design on his kitchen backsplash as well!

This isn’t an epic story. But this surely is an epic bathroom. Many thanks for sharing, Cody!

1. lynda says:

Very pretty bathroom. It looks like the house might have soft water and no one ever used scratchy cleaners on this bathroom. Or maybe the bath has not been used much over the years. How lucky not to even have a chip on the formica. Thanks to former owners for being such pristine homeowners! I love Cinderella tubs. I wish someone would make them again.

2. Jeff H says:

Really nice, and I particularly like the sink and counter.

The dimensional tiles look identical to some mint green Franciscan Hermosa/Gladding McBean tiles that we used in our bath. Our tiles were salvaged from a neighbor’s home in eastern California that was constructed in the early 1970s. I’m sending a photo to Pam, in case that is of use.

3. Lisa Compo says:

That IS a neat bathroom. I am impressed with how little wear and tear it shows. Almost looks like a “Cody bulit this bathroom” feature story. 🙂 Cool starburst clock, too.

Although I don’t know about the tile, I have always wondered how it is to use a Cinderella tub. I’m fascinated with the shape and love the convenience of the built in seat. I guess like most things, it takes some getting used to. 😉

I always enjoy a good pink bathroom story.

4. Ms. Vel-Vida says:

Very cute bathroom. The dimensional tiles are a beautiful design. I like the privacy glass divider between the tub and the vanity, that way you still get ample light in the tub when the curtain is closed.

5. Shari says:

I grew up in a 1959 mid century modern home in Arcadia, California that was built by my step-dad. It had a Cinderella bathtub in our “blue” bathroom. Our tub was enclosed in frosted glass with a glass door. It was fabulous!

6. DJ Sparkles says:

I’m so jealous of your bathroom! And your clock; I love it, too. But Cinderella tubs are my absolute favorite. I’m green with envy!

Bless you for appreciating that gem of a bathroom. I hope we get to see more pictures of your house!

7. Greg McKinney says:

I have the exact same beige tile, both flat and sculpted in my apartment bathroom from 1965! I have it in white in the kitchen too. Saul Bass was a movie titling designer from the 60s-70s, I never knew he did tile too.

8. Misty says:

I think this is my favorite pink bathroom ever – at the very least, in top 3. I am so envious! Love it!