design your own mosaic tile patterndaltile mosaic tile tool
Good news here in Retro Renovation land: After a few years off the market, Daltile’s Mosaic Designer Tool is back. And more good news: The selections continue to include some of our favorite retro colors including Aqua Glow and Spa, which are also pretty easy to get as matchy matchy 4×4(ish) wall tiles including from Home Depot.

I recall that Natalie and Graham were the first among our readers to use the tool, back in 2012. They created a custom mosaic tile floor in their laundry room and tucked in a dog shower for their dogs Reelee and Maeybe, too — so cute!

Daltile’s website explains the relaunched design tool:

Our mosaic design tool allows you to use Keystones or Color Wheel Mosaics to create unique patterns, color ratios and one-of-a-kind designs.

The custom designer also lets you save designs to your computer, print, or store in a “My Projects” account. Share completed designs via email or on social media. Create your own custom, random blends. Design your own patterns with unique color ratios.

Fun to create your own mosaic tile designs

Indeed, dive in to the Designer Tool — so much fun to play with! — and you will see that it serves up tiles and mosaic design combinations based on the type of project you are working on.

ssssAbove, Jamie used the design tool to create a bathroom floor matched to blue tile cove base, above — Frankie the Boston Terrier approves!

Two more readers who used the original Daltile Mosaic Tile Designer for their bathroom floors:

Get to the Daltile Mosaic Designer Tool:

Oh, and thanks to Melanie for a (different) story idea she submitted that led me to go look at the Daltile website this weekend and see that the Mosaic Design Tool was back!

1. Polly says:

Your story came at exactly the right time. I was resigned to using black and white hex mosaics but and was ready to buy some today when I saw this! I love the tool but so far its been glitchy and I’m wondering how you buy the design once you finish it. Would love to hear from someone who has been successful.

1. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Polly, glad you are happy about the tool coming back. I just looked at the tool and it looks like Step #3 is “Route to a location near me.” I *think* that means you order from a tile retailer. My recollection with folks who used this in its prior iteration is that there was lead time to get your order.

1. Polly says:

I tried that but it’s not working. The program also hangs up when I try to sign in again or save my project. Frustrating but I’m hoping someone at Daltile can help tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

1. Nikki says:

I used the mosaic tool to get a black/white/grey mosaic for a bathroom in the summer of 2017. I was working with a contractor, who went through a tile store. The tile store knew nothing about the mosaic tool. So I went with the contractor the tile store and explained to them about the tool, plus printed out the mosaic I had made to show them. I think it took about 10 weeks to get the tile. I don’t remember cost compared with regular porcelain mosaic. A little more, I am sure, but the bathroom is small! And I paired the tile with the same shower curtain as Jamie above.

1. Polly says:

My tile stores are confused as well and calling Daltile is no help but I’m not giving up yet. Did you have to cut your mosaic to match your mosaic pattern? From what I have figured out so far, you make your design, order the correct colors and then have to cut the tiles off the mesh to make the design. Is that how it worked for you?
            (Ugh, why does it have to be so hard to get cool stuff?)

1. Polly says:

Their response was to forward me to a nearby showroom. So far none of the showrooms have any idea how this works.

I know I can’t be the only person looking to recreate beautiful old-style hex mosaics.

1. Nikki says:

We did not have to make the mosaic. Daltile made it in 1 ft. squares and shipped to the tile store. Other than the longer lead time, once the order was made, the mosaic turned out just as I had hoped from the mosaic tool. We put it on top of floor heat, and I love it!

2. Adriel says:

This tool is a time warp. ;P

So, did look for this pattern shown and can’t find, does anyone know the code for it?

At least have random, what fun!

1. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Adriel, the patterns are in the tool. As I recall, different patterns are available depending on the product you are using.

2. Polly says:

The tool has a variety of patterns and you can make exactly what you want with your choice of colors. But then you have to find a local tile store that understands what you want and the process for ordering it. It took me a while to find that and I am now in the process of having my design fabricated at the Daltile factory. Fingers crossed that its what I want. I wanted the appearance of a vintage 1″ hex with specific colors. The good thing about Daltile is that my floor will be less than 1/3 the cost of the reproduction mosaic floors available from specialty tile shops.

3. Zoe Grey says:

Yay! This is why I have your blog bookmarked, Pam!

You just saved my 1962-ranch bathroom remodeling budget!

4. Ryan says:

Where’d the colors go? I cannot find any of the retro colors like Spa & Aqua Glow, did they take them off that quickly?