Vintage countertop laminate from GE Textolite

1961-ge-textolite-laminate-1.jpg

1961-ge-textolite-laminate-2.jpg

How is this one, Retro Renovation readers? I recently scored a full box of est. 1960-65 era GE Textolite laminate samples, absolute mint condition unused. This is the first bunch — the others aren’t so over-the-top FABULOUS, but still are great gauges of what to look for. OMG. What else do I need to say. We can all eat our hearts out, together, on this one. This post originally ran on Jan. 4, 2008

Comments

1. Paula says

In 1960 what was considered the top of the line countertops? I am needing to replace my existing and do not know if my old stuff was considered top of the line for comparison for insurance to pay for it.

2. Matthew says

I absolutely love this! I am currently taking foods class at my school, and the classroom still holds its original yellow Geneva cabinets and GE White Spungold counter tops. Sad, though, they’ve seen better days. They are filthy as all heck. I guess the other foods students don’t understand what the teacher means by “Be sure to clean your kitchen!” They are coated in over 50 years of grease, dust, and God knows what else. That is why, when we do labs, I let the group do the cooking while I scrub the kitchen down. My teacher loves me for that, but I do it for the sake of giving those cabinets their life back. Maybe someday I can offer to restore them. (Yes, I want to spend my life rehabbing old houses.);)

3. Tracy says

I have a 1960 Avion camper that has the original White Gold countertop and drop leaf table. The problem is that the sink covers are flaking badly from the bottom (tops look great). I was hoping to get a new piece to make new ones but it doesn’t sound like that is possible. I guess I either have to use a different print for them or try to adhere something to the underneath. Any ideas?

4. Heather says

I bought my 1959 house from the original owner 4 years ago. Everything is pink… appliances, double sink, bathroom tile, tub, toilet, sink… LOVE IT!! At some point the countertops were changed and Textolite laminate TX-4700 “White Spungold” is what I currently have for my bathroom and kitchen countertops. It’s staying in the bathroom… stripped and stained the bathroom vanity to match the wood doors… looks great! But, what I wouldn’t give to have the TX-4812 “Dusty Pink Twilight” to replace the kitchen countertops. It was horribly abused around the kitchen sink… as a cutting board and most of the pattern is scrubbed off.

Does anyone have any idea where I could get ahold of the TX-4812 “Dusty Pink Twilight”?

5. Jenn says

Oh wow–golden beige twilight is what is in my bathroom! It makes up our shower surround. If this is from the 60s, somebody did a bathroom reno because my house was built in ’52.

I have struggled with whether to keep it–I don’t find it very attractive, but I hate to rip out something original or semi-original–but the stainless steel trim around it is so cool. Nothing else about that bathroom is original, unfortunately, so it looks very out of place.

• Missy says

I recently bought a house, and was gonna rip out the kitchen. I thought i was horrible! I decided to clean up the kitchen counter so i could eat while painting, and to my surprise… STUNNING aqua twilight! So, yes, if you’re lucky, you can!

6. Jessica Owens says

I recently bought a house from the estate of the original owners that was built in 1964. We have Golden Nugget in fabulous condition. It even extends into a sitting peninsula/breakfast nook! I never planned on removing them. But now I will not allow anyone to touch them since I know how rare it really is! I’ll be glad to share pictures!

7. Wanda Cooksey says

Our “new” home has a laminate on the kitchen cabinets – white with green swirls and some flecks of gold. I am looking for the name of the laminate. I don’t see anything above that matches. Thanks!

8. Elijah Bryan says

A couple years ago, we rented out the MOST BEAUTIFUL house built in 1946, and everything is still original. In the kitchen, it has the “White Gold” for the flooring; the White Gold is also the flooring in the office. In our Pink Bathroom, the entire vanity was finished with “White Gold,” except it was pink instead of white. Also, the shower flooring was the “White Gold.” I’m guessing that she and her husband were a big fan!

9. Catherine Cramer says

We are in the process of building a new house, but in my husband’s 1958 house, one kitchen counter was done in the “white gold” the other in the gold faux marble color. I guess they were done at two different times. Unfortunately I can’t find the same for the new house and we have to replace these when we fix up the house as they are not in the best shape. We found American Kitchen metal cabinets (8 of them and inexpensive as a friend had them from an old kitchen remodel, in fantastic shape) and bought one other separate cabinet that has sort of the “gold nugget” laminate, although I think the color isn’t gold but still the same design. I’ll have to check on that. Wish we could match it since we’re obviously doing the 50’s kitchen. Even have grandma’s mid 50’s O’Keefe and Merritt range to go with it and a yellow cracked ice formica table with chairs FREE from an old high school sweetheart! Pays to stay friends with people! Thanks for the great site!

Hi, Have followed you guys for a while, we have just found our textolite laminate listed in your blog, we are refurbishing the legs on a kitchen set including original side cupboard, will sen you pictures once its finshed.
    regards sian

11. Katie says

Love it! I grew up in an apartment in Chivago in the mid/late 80s-early 90s and we had the gold & white speckled laminate on our counters-I loved it! And a hudee ring around the huge sink. Funny I always thought it looked 70s to me. Must’ve been the gold in the countertop mixed with the darker cabinets. I think the cabinets reflected more of the “frontier/ colonial” 1970s fad. Every time I see a countertop vaguely similar I get excited. Great memories!

12. John says

Is there anywhere to purchase the golden nugget laminate countertop material if so what is the contact information. Thank you