1961-ge-textolite-laminate-1.jpg

1961-ge-textolite-laminate-2.jpg

How is this one, Retro Renovation readers? I recently scored a full box of est. 1960-65 era GE Textolite laminate samples, absolute mint condition unused. This is the first bunch — the others aren’t so over-the-top FABULOUS, but still are great gauges of what to look for. OMG. What else do I need to say. We can all eat our hearts out, together, on this one. This post originally ran on Jan. 4, 2008

CategoriesCountertops
  1. Heather says:

I bought my 1959 house from the original owner 4 years ago. Everything is pink… appliances, double sink, bathroom tile, tub, toilet, sink… LOVE IT!! At some point the countertops were changed and Textolite laminate TX-4700 “White Spungold” is what I currently have for my bathroom and kitchen countertops. It’s staying in the bathroom… stripped and stained the bathroom vanity to match the wood doors… looks great! But, what I wouldn’t give to have the TX-4812 “Dusty Pink Twilight” to replace the kitchen countertops. It was horribly abused around the kitchen sink… as a cutting board and most of the pattern is scrubbed off.

Does anyone have any idea where I could get ahold of the TX-4812 “Dusty Pink Twilight”?

2. Jenn says:

Oh wow–golden beige twilight is what is in my bathroom! It makes up our shower surround. If this is from the 60s, somebody did a bathroom reno because my house was built in ’52.

I have struggled with whether to keep it–I don’t find it very attractive, but I hate to rip out something original or semi-original–but the stainless steel trim around it is so cool. Nothing else about that bathroom is original, unfortunately, so it looks very out of place.

3. Jessica Owens says:

I recently bought a house from the estate of the original owners that was built in 1964. We have Golden Nugget in fabulous condition. It even extends into a sitting peninsula/breakfast nook! I never planned on removing them. But now I will not allow anyone to touch them since I know how rare it really is! I’ll be glad to share pictures!

4. Wanda Cooksey says:

Our “new” home has a laminate on the kitchen cabinets – white with green swirls and some flecks of gold. I am looking for the name of the laminate. I don’t see anything above that matches. Thanks!

5. Elijah Bryan says:

A couple years ago, we rented out the MOST BEAUTIFUL house built in 1946, and everything is still original. In the kitchen, it has the “White Gold” for the flooring; the White Gold is also the flooring in the office. In our Pink Bathroom, the entire vanity was finished with “White Gold,” except it was pink instead of white. Also, the shower flooring was the “White Gold.” I’m guessing that she and her husband were a big fan!

6. Missy says:

I recently bought a house, and was gonna rip out the kitchen. I thought i was horrible! I decided to clean up the kitchen counter so i could eat while painting, and to my surprise… STUNNING aqua twilight! So, yes, if you’re lucky, you can!

7. Catherine Cramer says:

We are in the process of building a new house, but in my husband’s 1958 house, one kitchen counter was done in the “white gold” the other in the gold faux marble color. I guess they were done at two different times. Unfortunately I can’t find the same for the new house and we have to replace these when we fix up the house as they are not in the best shape. We found American Kitchen metal cabinets (8 of them and inexpensive as a friend had them from an old kitchen remodel, in fantastic shape) and bought one other separate cabinet that has sort of the “gold nugget” laminate, although I think the color isn’t gold but still the same design. I’ll have to check on that. Wish we could match it since we’re obviously doing the 50’s kitchen. Even have grandma’s mid 50’s O’Keefe and Merritt range to go with it and a yellow cracked ice formica table with chairs FREE from an old high school sweetheart! Pays to stay friends with people! Thanks for the great site!

8. sian says:

Hi, Have followed you guys for a while, we have just found our textolite laminate listed in your blog, we are refurbishing the legs on a kitchen set including original side cupboard, will sen you pictures once its finshed.
    regards sian