1961-ge-textolite-laminate-1.jpg

1961-ge-textolite-laminate-2.jpg

How is this one, Retro Renovation readers? I recently scored a full box of est. 1960-65 era GE Textolite laminate samples, absolute mint condition unused. This is the first bunch — the others aren’t so over-the-top FABULOUS, but still are great gauges of what to look for. OMG. What else do I need to say. We can all eat our hearts out, together, on this one. This post originally ran on Jan. 4, 2008

1. Paula says:

In 1960 what was considered the top of the line countertops? I am needing to replace my existing and do not know if my old stuff was considered top of the line for comparison for insurance to pay for it.

2. Matthew says:

I absolutely love this! I am currently taking foods class at my school, and the classroom still holds its original yellow Geneva cabinets and GE White Spungold counter tops. Sad, though, they’ve seen better days. They are filthy as all heck. I guess the other foods students don’t understand what the teacher means by “Be sure to clean your kitchen!” They are coated in over 50 years of grease, dust, and God knows what else. That is why, when we do labs, I let the group do the cooking while I scrub the kitchen down. My teacher loves me for that, but I do it for the sake of giving those cabinets their life back. Maybe someday I can offer to restore them. (Yes, I want to spend my life rehabbing old houses.);)

3. Tracy says:

I have a 1960 Avion camper that has the original White Gold countertop and drop leaf table. The problem is that the sink covers are flaking badly from the bottom (tops look great). I was hoping to get a new piece to make new ones but it doesn’t sound like that is possible. I guess I either have to use a different print for them or try to adhere something to the underneath. Any ideas?

4. Heather says:

I bought my 1959 house from the original owner 4 years ago. Everything is pink… appliances, double sink, bathroom tile, tub, toilet, sink… LOVE IT!! At some point the countertops were changed and Textolite laminate TX-4700 “White Spungold” is what I currently have for my bathroom and kitchen countertops. It’s staying in the bathroom… stripped and stained the bathroom vanity to match the wood doors… looks great! But, what I wouldn’t give to have the TX-4812 “Dusty Pink Twilight” to replace the kitchen countertops. It was horribly abused around the kitchen sink… as a cutting board and most of the pattern is scrubbed off.

Does anyone have any idea where I could get ahold of the TX-4812 “Dusty Pink Twilight”?

5. Jenn says:

Oh wow–golden beige twilight is what is in my bathroom! It makes up our shower surround. If this is from the 60s, somebody did a bathroom reno because my house was built in ’52.

I have struggled with whether to keep it–I don’t find it very attractive, but I hate to rip out something original or semi-original–but the stainless steel trim around it is so cool. Nothing else about that bathroom is original, unfortunately, so it looks very out of place.

1. Missy says:

I recently bought a house, and was gonna rip out the kitchen. I thought i was horrible! I decided to clean up the kitchen counter so i could eat while painting, and to my surprise… STUNNING aqua twilight! So, yes, if you’re lucky, you can!

6. Jessica Owens says:

I recently bought a house from the estate of the original owners that was built in 1964. We have Golden Nugget in fabulous condition. It even extends into a sitting peninsula/breakfast nook! I never planned on removing them. But now I will not allow anyone to touch them since I know how rare it really is! I’ll be glad to share pictures!

7. Wanda Cooksey says:

Our “new” home has a laminate on the kitchen cabinets – white with green swirls and some flecks of gold. I am looking for the name of the laminate. I don’t see anything above that matches. Thanks!