Vintage Chambers stoves & oven in the time capsule house

stove-top-of-vintage-60s-chambers-stove

This is a vintage Chambers gas range. I am seriously in love with it, and want it so much that I could burst. For now, though, it is staying in the time capsule house. I am guessing — 60s. Any experts out there who can tell me for sure?

built-in-griddle-on-chambers-stove

This is the built-in, pop-up griddle. And yes, folks, those are stainless steel (or aluminum?) 4″ tiles behind the stove.

I am so seriously in love with this stove I cannot stand it.

vintage-chamber-stove

Here is the vintage Chambers range upstairs. I am dating it 1952 — because that is when the kitchen went in.

vintage-1952-chambers

Here is the porcelain cover folded down over the burners.

vintage-chambers-built-in-oven

And here is the built-in stove. It’s all so wonderful, and there is still more to come from this house, I’ve barely made a dent.

Comments

1. G.G. says

Mandi H.:
    check the classified ads and craigslist especially ones that list “old stove” with no details or photos, sometimes it’s nothing, but other times it’s something real nice. I know that I have seen three or four good 50s stoves within 50 miles of my house that I could have had for less than $100 in the last few months.

2. pam kueber says

Readers – I don’t approve comments giving fix-it advice about these stoves. I don’t think it is wise to do so, over the internet. So — any comments of this ilk are not going to appear. Anyone with vintage-appliances needs to do their own, thorough research, and consult professionals, to determine their correct course.

3. Neil says

Mandi H: Go to antiqueappliances.com or vintageappliances.com and you can find restored stoves and refrigerators of all brands. A good site also is Stovelist.com – that is affiliated with the Chambers website. I found my Chambers Model C on Stovelist and also got a complete 50s kitchen of cabinets and a turquoise 1955 GE Combination!

4. tailfin says

Mandi H.: I agree with all the sources that other have mentioned, but quite frankly, I find the best vintage appliances at estate sales, so keep an eye out for those in your area. Many times the vintage stoves & fridges are priced extremely reasonably because most people are looking for newer ones. I can’t even begin to count the number of appliances I could have had from these sales. Good luck!

5. Mandi H. says

Great, thanks for the advice on where to look! I’ll check it out! Maybe I can talk my husband into one for Christmas…. 🙂

6. Em says

Of course it doesn’t have to cost thousands of dollars. I paid $100 and $150 for two vintage Chambers stoves in original working condition (no gas leaks or other deterioration affecting safety). Safety and electric ignition systems are available for installation by a local technician for a few hundred dollars total, and later C-models have factory safety systems installed.

You need a basic level of competence to evaluate older stoves. Do your research and read the service manuals for models that interest you.

7. Catherine McCroskey says

Wow..I just fell in love with the green / white vintage Chambers range upstairs! I love that kitchen!! What an inspiration!

8. linda blackmore says

I have seen similar tiles in a fingerhut catalog(I think). I would rather have an old ratty Chambers than a new Commercial. They are wonderful. There is a place in Houston that specializes in renovating them.

There is one identical to the second stove you show above in my father-in-law’s house. I covet that stove with every inch of my being, but I doubt that it will ever be mine. Father-in-law passed away last year and wicked stepmother is not interested in sharing with her step-children, only her birth daughter. 🙁

10. DrewFromNY says

I just came across this page in Pam’s Blog (re: Chambers Stoves). I just bought an apartment in NYC that has the stove from the first photo above (the white one with the clock in the chrome backsplash). We are completely renovating the apartment and originally were going to junk the oven. However, there seems to be a lot of affection for this model, and it appears to be in great shape, having spent the last 50 years or so in one location. If anyone is interested in the oven, please let me know. I have not used it or tested it, but would be happy to discuss letting someone have it. (I don’t want to deal with shipping, etc. as I am not in this business, but simply a homeowner clearing out this apartment, so you need to get it from Manhattan!). It’s not about making a lot of money, but passing along an item that seemingly will bring someone some joy. Best, Drew.

11. KakiMack says

oh my the upstairs kitchen is totally gorgeous! Would love to have it—sure hope the new owners keep it intact. BTW, I’m guessing the marble countertop part was used for making pastry.

12. Randerson says

Missed this one first time around! The Chambers in the first pics is known as the Model D, or more correctly the MR-9-H. It’s the updated version of the Model C, basically the same but with MCM styling. Model C & B are much more common, the D not so much. We had one, its a wonderful range, and better than anything you can get new. Would love to find another in Coppertone to go with our knotty pine!