How to make a Christmas wreath out of vintage ornaments — Georgia Peachez’ secrets

ornament wreath

Suzy of Georgia Peachez

Suzy aka Georgia Peachez

UPDATE: Read our expanded tutorial how to make vintage ornament wreaths here.

Last year I proclaimed my love and admiration for Georgia Peachez’ crafty Christmas wreaths made out of vintage tinsel-garland and ornaments. What a fantastic way to use ornaments hunted and scrounged at estate sales all year long — something to hunt for an actually use! Suzy, the genius Peach, is at it again this year — that’s her “That 70s Wreath,” above. Morevoer — we asked for her how-to instructions — and she graciously responded right away! Read on to learn how to make a Christmas wreath out of vintage ornaments of your very own. –>.

ornament wreath georgia peachez

Suzy writes:

• Start with extruded foam wreath base and wrap in tinsel-tone garland securing with hot glue.
  • Important to add a wire loop here before preceding.
  • Glue larger ornaments around the outer rim of wreath form.
  • Lay flat and then fill in with smaller ornies.
  • I like to mix up ornies with kitschy little things.
  • Important to use HIGH TEMP hot glue.

That’s it in a nutshell!
Suzy

Ooooh! “Kitschy little things.” I have plenty of those. Do spatulas get you in the holiday mood? I ask: Are the ornies attached to anything? or do you just glue them straight on … that is, no hooks? She responds:

• Just glue them right on. The tinsel gives a good surface to bond to.

One of the things that I think is particularly clever about Suzy’s method, is that by starting with the wrapped tinsel — the back side of the wreath is actually very pretty, too. Here is a photo from a wreath available in her etsy shop that shows what I mean:

If you don’t have time to get crafty, I think that Suzy’s wreaths are very well-priced at $50-$75. And, she says that she has never had an issue with shipping. Here are all the vital links:

• See Suzy’s Georgia Peachez etsy shop for wreaths and other holiday goodness.
  • Do-it-yourselfers, be sure to see her Wreath Blog. And you know me, Precautionary Pam warns: Be careful with those glue guns and sharp edges, peoples.
  • And, there’s even more creativity over on Suzy’s main Georgia Peachez blog.

Did I read something about “a little obsession” over in your headers, Suzy? I sure do emphathize. In a good way because, girl, you are good! xoxo

Comments

1. susan says

Love, love,love these! I bought a cheezy $5 wreath at a discount store. It already has the tinsel on it. Hope mom didnT throw away all of those yummy old ornaments.

Those are beautiful!!! My favorite things all together- I love the old ornaments w/ bits of paint chipping! You are very talented!!! Wish I had one for every door in my house!

3. MCM is Grand says

Oh, I recognize some of my childhood ornaments on those wreaths! This brings back happy memories. OK, now I have a project for next year. Thanks, Suzy for sharing your how-to tips.

PS – it would be fun to light up the wreaths, however, as I recall, those MCM bulbs get really hot.

4. kate mckinnon says

So cool!

If you want a wreath that will last forever, and be just as easy to make, get a wire wreath form- any craft store has them too. Then use inexpensive (but eternal) florist’s wire to wrap the ornaments onto the wire form. It’s easy as could be, and you won’t have to worry about them coming loose.

Each ornament has a hanging point already; just use that as your wrap attachment point.

A side benefit of this is that if you ever get tired of the wreath, or want to take it apart and share, the ornaments are still useful.

i would be worried about the ornaments falling out of their wire holder thingies. that always happens when we’re decorating the tree…

• Karen C says

Use a drop of hot glue on the end caps of the ornaments to keep them from falling off before stringing on thewire. It works quite well.

• says

I have a wreath that is crammed with vintage Christmas stuff, including a few old ornaments. I attached them initially to the wreath using the hanger on the ornament. But then I also wrapped a little thin wire around a couple times to form like a cage that cradles the ornament. I’ve had this wreath for about 20 years – nothing’s fallen off except a couple of the items that are just glued on, and I just re-glue them. And the wire is really not very noticable.

5. Christina Halas says

Being born in 1951, I too, am “mid-century” retro. I remember my mom and aunts making Christmas decorations in the fifties and sixties. To be truly authentic, what you need is to make a wreath out of old IBM punched cards, and then spray it gold. Another great idea from that time was to take a Reader’s Digest, fold each page half down, going all the way through; then you spray paint that “tree” gold or red or green, and glue little tiny ornaments all over it.

• joyces jane says

My dad worked in one of the few manufacturing plants to use punch cards in the 60s. I remember him bringing them home and saying that people were making wreaths out of them and my mom and i trying to figure out what he meant! Then she saw a picture in a magazine and we went to work making a wreath, which she declared “the craziest thing she ever saw”, and resorted to making a giant pine wreath out of a hula hoop (another 60s holiday fad). So glad I got to experience that!

• says

Back in the mid-1960s, when I was about 10 or 12, my grandmother and I made dry cleaner bag wreaths every Christmas. Everyone had stuff cleaned then, so we had plenty of bags and lots of wire hangers, too. It was made by forming a wire hanger into a circle, cutting the bags into strips, then tying strip after strip onto the hanger. They sound funny, but they were actually very pretty, and with hundreds of strips, they were sparkly in the light, too.

Hey, Denise, I was just looking at your blog and saw! (Did you get the idea from the newsletter that I sent out Sunday?)

• says

no, I’ll have to revisit the newsletter to see it! LOL

I’ve followed her for some time and loved them last year…then loved them again this year —so I thought I would spread the word on how wonderful they are, especially if one likes vintage ornaments…which, of course, I do. I’m glad Suzy can do it, but I don’t know if I’d be able to as I can be a little ‘don’t-do-anything-with-it-keep-it-the-same-cuz-it’s-vintage’ …a phobia I’m working on!

6. vintage_vantage says

I love the look of these wreaths. I wanted to put something on my front door that looked nearly period, but at the same time a little whimsical. Here’s my twist:
    At a local hardware store they were selling wreaths (fake and real) on the cheap. I bought a fake one to keep year after year, but you would be able to reuse the ornaments the way I created mine if you put it together on a real wreath.
    I took white ribbon and laced roughly 30 ornaments onto the wreath in groups of threes. Instead of ruining vintage ornaments in the weather, I found great vintage-esque ornaments at Hobby Lobby. They are plastic so they wont break and will make them easier to store come spring. I did notice that any glitter that you have on the ornaments will be gone if you leave them in the rain/snow. Thankfully I found that out on a test ornament before ruining the whole wreath. Anyway, I think everyone should have one! It looks great against my giant, vintage garland on my front porch!
    Merry Early Christmas ya’ll! … and to all a vintage “festivus”!

7. gsciencechick says

Thanks! Since we have way more ornaments than we can ever use on our trees, this might work if I can find the time to do it.

8. Pat says

Am I the only one that doesn’t have the heart to glue vintage ornaments, etc. to the wreath, and thus ruin them? I just can’t do it. I’d have to find some that were not really nice (I had some of them, but sold them at a garage sale a few years ago!). Here’s hoping I can find some less than perfect ornaments to make this!

As far as tieing them to the wire form, how about lightly glueing the hanger to the ornament, then you wouldn’t have to worry about them coming loose.

9. VacationBarbie says

This is also a good way to use up some of the vintage ornaments that have the top part broken (the part the wire holder thingy goes into) I have several of them…but can’t bear to toss them.

10. Nina462 says

Pat – I too, cannot glue the truly vintage ornaments from my family/childhood. However, I did somehow accumulate some along the way – that I had bought at a garage sale years ago. I actually tried to sell them at a garage sale this year but no one bought them. So I may just have to make a wreath out of them.

However, I have a comment – what she is using to wrap is GARLAND. Tinsel is the little silver icecly stuff. It very important to get that straight …Some of us are Tinsel people….others are Garland :)

11. tammyCA says

I’ve been a follower of suzy’s blog for a few years – always fun and colorful. The only thing I don’t like is the hot glue-ing of vintage bulbs! If you bump this and one bulb breaks then the whole wreath is completely ruined (I’ve seen such one at the goodwill)…if I ever make one of these with my vintage bulbs I would take the time to wire them…I also like preserving as much as I can.

12. magnarama says

I was going to post about a DIY wreath that I think is the best ever for an ultra-mod house, but reading the comments, I think it also solves the problem of not wanting to destroy your vintage ornaments

I saw this made on the B.Original craft show that used to be on the DIY TV network and loved its mod look:

And now I realize it could also be a showcase for vintage ornaments!

Here’s a link to a video about how to make the wreath from PVC pipe lengths:

13. Scott says

Suzy, you wreaths are beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I own a couple old ornament wreaths, but your wreath with the Xmas lights around the outside, sent me over the edge!

14. Sue says

I love your wreath! I actually made a couple a few years ago. My question is ..it is so hard to store these. I have actually left mine up all year because every time I go to move it I seem to break an ornament! The old ones are sooo fragile. I never see anyone comment on that but I can’t be the only one with this problem, Just curious how you store yours.
    Thank you!

15. Mary Meinberg says

I live in Williamsburg Va. and went to the Craft Show, as I do every year. This year I was so moved and excited over Suzy’s booth, it was like re-living my childhood of memories of all the vintage balls and wreaths. My friend who I had brought to the show bought the last wreath at the show that day. Although I was sad not to get a wreath, I’m so happy for my friend to have it. I will be at the door next year when it opens and I hope I will get my wreath!
    Mary Meinberg

16. Al Borak says

Neat wreaths! Wish I had beaten you to the estate sale and snagged those 49 (?) Fuller Brush spatulas. I see potential for picture frames for kitchen/eating area pictures or photos. (A little too informal for my dining room, but great in the breakfast nook.)

17. donna manning says

LOVE that wreath and it really makes me appreciate moms and grandmas old ornaments. Here’s one of my quick decorating tips for you. I use those old hand held iron cheese graters at christmas in front of my house on the sidewalk for my luminaria and in the past few years neighbors on both sides of me have joined in. The last two years we alternated red, white and blue candles to show support for our troops and the result was magnificent. I’m addicted to your blog!

18. Tee says

Want to try this but feel stupid – is an extruded wreath a flat one or round one? Guessing round but wouldn’t that be harder to use to glue the ornaments to? I would think the flat wreaths would have more stability and surface area for gluing. Does it matter? Just don’t want to mess this up with my vintage ornies.
    Thanks so much.

19. Peggy Crockett says

I just love Suzy’s wreaths and all of these tips. I have so many vintage balls and you all are giving me the confidence to get started on my wreath. And Suzy sent me information about Williamsburg- so I can’t wait until December!

20. Patricia Olson says

I”m confused on the wreath prices. You mention them being good deals at $50 – $75, but whenever I look at her available wreaths they are $150 to $300. Am I looking in the wrong place or just at the wrong time? They are beautiful, but I can’t justify spending that much for a wreath.

• Kathy Pinkerton says

have you priced vintage ornaments on Ebay lately? unless you find a huge stash for a small price then your wreath is going to be expensive. I’ve been shopping at Big Lots for glass ornaments…they are very cheap and some are quite pretty…use them as the base ornaments, then I’ll embellish with a few vintage pieces or other kitchy stuff. I made one last year (before I saw this blog)… it is really fun and pretty. I like reading everyone’s comments and suggestions because I am worried about hot glue holding up over time…to me these are art objects – I want mine to last. I can see why she charges up to $300 for one of these gorgeous wreaths…they are the real deal and she spent a lot of time making them. back to my glue…

21. Linda says

These wreaths are fantastic, but they are not selling on her website for $50-75. There are two – one is $150 and the other is $300. I’m sure they are very special, but way beyond my price range. I’m glad we have instructions for making our own. I am not “craftsy” so was hoping to possibly purchase.

22. Sue says

Love the wraths and am goin to attempt to make one, one question can you give details regarding the wire loop. Is this for hanging? Thanks

23. Rick S says

Pam.
    I do love the wreaths but am afraid my upstairs hall tree would be bare if I did this. I noticed the plastic lantern shaped on like on mom’s tree. They always were on bottom branches because they woundn’t break.
    I watched craigslist and got 65 ornaments for $10. An attic was being cleaned and contents sold. My wife and I found a Slim “fake” tree to decorate in the hall outside the bedrooms. It is dubed our “Twas the night before Christmas” tree because of the vintage and new vintage look ornaments and Santas. We have a gold glitter cardboard star on top too.
    I think there may be some new onaments that can fill out the wreath and use less than perfect ones or wire the true vintage into place with glued on ones.
    I think I am getting in the mood for Christmas.
    rick

If you’re not into hot glue, use the wire frame wreath (Michael’s with a coupon), wrap the garland, and then wire the ornaments in with the lids to the ornaments down using green-plastic covered wire. I prefer this for outside doors because the whole thing lies a little more flat, enduring the repeated opening and closing and occasional slamming a bit better in my 1959 house. I have shunned the satin-wrapped ornaments, but seeing how Peachez does it, now I have to expand my thinking a bit more!

25. Emily says

I am going to attempt to make one of these wreaths this year. However, I am very wary of hot glue. Has anyone tried making one of these wreaths with something a bit more industrial in strength like E6000 glue? I want to use the vintage bulbs as well as ornaments on my wreath so hopefully the E6000 will do the trick! I agree with the person who posted above. A “how to” video would be awesome!

I made one this weekend. I used the hot glue — it worked great and I didn’t have any issues with it. I have tutorial coming!

• says

It takes me 3 hours to construct a wreath using hot glue. I’m sure E6000 would work nicely but it would take a week to make one, waiting for all that glue to dry as you progress from one ornament to the next!