3 places to buy metal edging for kitchen countertops

metal edging for kitchen countertop

Thanks to HardToFindHouseParts.com for the image.

If you are designing a retro kitchen, adding a metal edge to the counter top is a great way to add authentic vintage charm. Fortunately, metal counter top edging is no difficult to find — there are three places I know to go looking for metal edging — which you can get in either aluminum or stainless steel — ribbed or smooth — mill, satin or polished — screw-holes or no — and in a wide array of sizes.

metal countertop edging

• For aluminum counter top edging — Retro Trims: They are an advertiser on this site — and manufacture and carry a wide variety of aluminum countertop edging. Tell Thor that I sent you.
  • For stainless steel counter top edging — New York Metal has a wide selection of stainless steel edging, and their website is easy to navigate. They are the only place I’ve found with the stainless steel snap-on edging. But, they also offer aluminum smooth- and ribbed edging.  You can get cove molding in aluminum or steel, as well.
  • Another possibility for aluminum counter top edging — Outwater Plastics — Aluminum in two styles and three finishes (mill-, satin-, or polished-). You have to plow through their 600-page “online catalog” to find these; I did the work for you below. NOTE: I have heard from some readers in the past that local stores may carry some of these products. If you can find stock locally — you will save a lot on shipping, as this stuff (all makers) ships in 12′ lengths — oversized and a costly shipping upcharge.

Links to these three manufacturers — and please keep reading for more tips:

TIPS on other stories on my blog that can help in your quest —

Comments

1. linda blackmore says

Our house had metal edging when I was a kid. I had to remember not to rub against it or it would leave a black mark on my clothes. Not sure what it was made of, but I was sure glad when we got “new formica” tops. I do like the look, however, and I’m sure the quality has improved.

I have not such problems with my stainless steel edging. No problem with fingerprints either — I guess we don’t really put our fingers on the edging much…

Wow, I had no idea these were available! When we put a new layer of Formica on our kitchen counters, we went to Home Depot and got some inexpensive metal edging, carefully bent it around the corners, glued it and then put some decorative screws in. I think it was a very inexpensive option and it still looks great!

We went to New York Metal for our edging. Helpful guys, will cut it to length for you if need be, and wrapped it up nice so it was safe for the 2 hour ride back home in my truck.

Also note: Bars&Booths is just a reseller of NY Metal as far as I can tell, only with a GIANT markup. They do the same thing with formica sheets.

I thought I saw some different styles on B&B. I have to order everything from everyone and sort through it. Even so, I wanted to get all the sources/links out there. The saga will continue….

• says

I’m not mad at B&B for providing a product to a customer, it’s just up to the customer to do their due diligence and find it at a good price. Some people will pay a markup for convenience. I, on the other hand, drove all the way to Queens to NYMetal to pick up 4 12ft pieces of trim because shipping was going to be insane.

I agree. I provide all these resources so folks have the info to get at — but I usually do not do pricing cuz that changes and well, to be honest, it’s more work. I have my hands full right now (namely: day job). It’s on my list to get to that next level. At some point.

4. Danielle says

I just had my aqua boomerang counters installed and I got the Deco metal from Formica installed on the counters. It was something the fabricaters could order directly from formica.

5. MIfroggies says

I just ordered from mc-master carr’s, so when it arrives will post a picture and how it went. So far, I am delighted at their price plus shipping was 75% less expensive. Maybe not as authentic, but at that price I can swap out if I am ever tired of them.

• MIfroggies says

I ordered the aluminum tee edge in a 1 1/4 ribbed edge, bottom of this page, they call it push in stem aluminum trim. My problem was my counters were 1 1/4 thick so I needed this size, other places did not have snap on steel trim in that size. Notice they have different widths in this. I needed 8 – 6 ft pieces at $6.48 a piece.

For my cove, I choose aluminum 90 degree angle corner in a rounded profile 8 -6 ft pieces. At $2.17 for a 4 foot piece.

I realize this is not historically perfect, however, total shipping was $12 for the entire order. Total price was $82. As opposed to $135 to ship from other places, plus $220 for the aluminum trim I was considering, for a total of $355. So I paid a 1/4 of what I was expecting. Maybe I will only get a 1/4 of the durability, but I don’t mind. My goal with my kitchen was budget, made in USA, DIY, and reuse/repurposing. With all my kids, I will be able to determine fairly quickly how it holds up in practically industrial conditions!

• MIfroggies says

The trim is already here! Whoa, I ordered it late afternoon Feb.1, and here it is, in my kitchen, on the afternoon of Feb.3! Also, the shipping was less than $10 my total actually was $78.95. They sent it in heavy duty cardboard tubes. Do you want me to direct email you a picture, Pam?

• dcgrl says

Good luck with your install! I hope Pam posts pics when you’re done. I keep looking at these moldings wondering how in the world they get installed. do you just cut a groove in the underlayment and push that t-molding in?

Bars & Booths talks about installing the tee molding on their page. Requires proper tools and careful routing so that the top edge lines up properly.

• John Cunningham says

You need to rout an exact slot in exactly the right place. I left it to a professional and it was more than worth the money.

This is all very encouraging. I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and have put off the countertops for last becuuse I have my heart set on using metal edging but the shipping from NY is just not in the budget. Fingers Crossed, I am going to try to salvage and re-use what is already on there when we replace the countertops but if that doesn’t work then I will have to wipe up the tears and look to some other resources.

7. MIfroggies says

I am very happy with my trim from Mcmaster-carr’s, and it was not hard to install with proper tools. I sent Pam pictures, so sometime my kitchen should be on here so everyone can see how it turned out.

8. John Cunningham says

I haven’t taken time to read all the comments here (I’m too busy stripping wallpaper) but when I sought metal (T-Nose) edging it was difficult to find a company that would sell small quantities (I needed about 20′) without a large minimum order (say$200) or charging phenomenal shipping. I tried NY Metals and Bars-Booths but FINALLY found The Kitchen Store in Culver City CA. They were willing to sell me any amount, not matter how small. They warned me about the excessive cost of shipping 12′ pieces. They cut my pieces down to 8′ (which necessitated splicing a piece at 96″) on a 100″ edge. My counter man is so good you can barely see the splice. We used the metal edging in combination with Pionite “Primary Red”. If there was one thing more difficult to find than the edging it was liner (pencil) tile in RED, sized 6″ x .5″. I found the last 26 pieces that a Brooklyn DalTile dealer seemed to own~~

9. Joe Felice says

That’s funny, Pam. I used the exact-same laminate for my new breakfast bar, and I edged it with ribbed chrome banding that gave it an authentic ’50s diner appearance. I also put the same top & banding on my grandma’s kitchen table. I painted part of the walls in the dining room and kitchen the same color as the laminate, but didn’t paint all the walls that color, because I thought it would have been a bit too much. For the backsplash, I found a wonderful glass tile pattern called “Fiesta Blend,” which has the aqua tiles, as well as different shades of browns to tie it into my countertop and the remaining walls (which are brown). For the backsplash behind the stove, I had purchased a stainless-steel diamond quilt sheet with matching edging, but I could not find anyone who could install it for me! So I ended up going to Outwater Plastics, and bought the shiny-copper sheets that I was able to cut and install myself, quite easily. I had also ordered the cove molding for where the counter meets the glass backsplash, but was unable to use it, because there was too-big of a space for it to cover. That was a real bummer for me. I used wood quarter round and painted it to match the edge of the counter. It looks OK, but I’m not thrilled with it. I would have preferred to use the chrome cove. For the top edge of the glass backsplash, I purchased a roll of chrome plastic auto door-edge molding, and it topped the backsplash off perfectly! We have to be creative when renovating, I found out. I also found some retro-looking wallpaper for the top half of one of the walls in the dining room, and it has the aqua and shades of brown, as well. I had originally wanted to use the knotty pine or cedar panelling with the wide grooves in it that was so popular in the day, but NO ONE has been able to tell me where to buy it, even though I’ve seen it in pictures on this site. I’ve learned that we also have to open to changing plans during the renovation. I call it “design-build.”

10. t s bunting says

Hi I have been trying to find some alloy counter/bar top or cabinet it was an alloy strip with a lip on one side and a coloured plastic insert which covered the nails or screws that held it to the table edge these were around in the 1970`s. Thanks

11. Leslie Patron says

Hi Pam,
    Do you know of any boomerang, aluminum edged tables that are folding and easily transportable? We are considering modifying a couple of wooden top banquet tables otherwise.
    Thanks!

Hi Leslie, I don’t know of anything specifically but you can try places like Heffrons/A Moment in Time (an advertiser)-link to their site in my sidebar among the ads.

12. Kelly Whelan says

Hi Pam,

I am looking for the same push in trim / mould for a 50’s table in restoring and can’t seem to find it here in australa!
    Any info would be great
    Thanks
    Kelly

13. Melissa Betz says

Hi Pam, I am looking for replacement black ribbed rubber that goes on the side of the counter top to hold it in place. It appears to be made of aluminum. Looks like you slide it in or just push it in.
    This black rubbery plastic covers the screws / nails that hold up the counter top trim. It is approx 1/2 in wide. Some is missing, I am just a renter but have been here for 7 years ! It is time to do something with this counter molding/trim.

• Cille Coleman says

I, too, am looking for the rubber insert. Our kitchen is from 1955 and the insert is 1/2″ wide and 1/16″ thick. It is grey–about the same color as the aluminum edge it fits into. Someone please help if you know of a source. We have been looking for some years now with no luck.

14. Joe Felice says

I recall always getting snagged on the screw heads, especially when wiping down the counter tops. Little strings from the dish cloth would get stuck on the screw heads.

15. paula gremley says

I have a 1953 Crane Kitchen Queen Kitchen. The aluminum edging on the little window shelves is popping off and it is bugging me. I search the site and can’t find anything addressing how to repair edging. I think I could squirt some glue in there but can’t imagine how I can clamp it. I suppose I could use duct tape to hold the trim until the glue sets.

If anyone has done this? Any suggestion welcome.

Paula

For renovation shoppers in Oregon, we stock 12′ length of retro metal edging for countertops. This is a fluted aluminum edge, 1 1/4″ wide, with a tee. $38.00 for 12′ lengths.
    Lansing Linoleum Co., Inc.
    7307 SE Foster Rd.
    Portland, OR 97206
    503-777-3333

• paula gremley says

Thanks! Is there a link with a picture?

Also, those with metal cabinets google metal spice tins. I have herbs stored in these on the inside of a cabinet door near the stove.

My sister’s and I just re did the kitchen in the house we grew up in, and we got the edging, trim and mouldings from Outwater Plastics. We put linoleum on the counter tops. We wear going to use Marmoleum but Armstrong makes the same thing, and it isn’t as pricey. We also used VCT tiles on the floor. I wish I could upload a photo, but I don’t see how you can do that here.

• Joe Felice says

Yes. T-nosing/trim can. The trick is in the installation. If you don’t know how to do it, you should hire a professional, as I did. The trim has to have the baking cut in order to bend it around curves, such as on the corners of my dining table and on my breakfast bar. I also installed the cove molding along the wall where it meets the counter, but I do not think that could be bent more than a few degrees. Since I had a 90-degree corner, I just used my cheap-o miter box to cut the two end at 45 degrees, and the fit perfectly.

18. Ro Mayer says

I have a Herman Miller Eames designed pedestal breakfast room size table.I gave it to my daughter who used it outside. The table top is made of wood fiber which swelled.That made the table edging pop off. I tried to reattach it. But the swelling has made the table circumference increase enough that the original edging is no longer big enough to meet by an inch or more. Otherwise the table is still functional. I was looking around the net for edging options and came across your site with its counter edging suggestions and retro furniture add links. I thought you might be able to suggest some options. Thank you.

19. James Kunc says

I am looking to buy silver metal nose trim for counter tops and cabinets and can’t locate. Any help would be appreciated. James Kunc

James, try our sources in this story — you need to look at the story, note the vendors and reach out to them directly. Good luck.

20. AJ says

I can’t to seem to find any fluted edging that has gaps in the teeth so that it will go around a round table or curved surface. Any suggestions?