3 places to buy metal edging for kitchen countertops

metal edging for kitchen countertop

Thanks to HardToFindHouseParts.com for the image.

If you are designing a retro kitchen, adding a metal edge to the counter top is a great way to add authentic vintage charm. Fortunately, metal counter top edging is no difficult to find — there are three places I know to go looking for metal edging — which you can get in either aluminum or stainless steel — ribbed or smooth — mill, satin or polished — screw-holes or no — and in a wide array of sizes.

metal countertop edging

• For aluminum counter top edging — Retro Trims: They are an advertiser on this site — and manufacture and carry a wide variety of aluminum countertop edging. Tell Thor that I sent you.
  • For stainless steel counter top edging — New York Metal has a wide selection of stainless steel edging, and their website is easy to navigate. They are the only place I’ve found with the stainless steel snap-on edging. But, they also offer aluminum smooth- and ribbed edging.  You can get cove molding in aluminum or steel, as well.
  • Another possibility for aluminum counter top edging — Outwater Plastics — Aluminum in two styles and three finishes (mill-, satin-, or polished-). You have to plow through their 600-page “online catalog” to find these; I did the work for you below. NOTE: I have heard from some readers in the past that local stores may carry some of these products. If you can find stock locally — you will save a lot on shipping, as this stuff (all makers) ships in 12′ lengths — oversized and a costly shipping upcharge.

Links to these three manufacturers — and please keep reading for more tips:

TIPS on other stories on my blog that can help in your quest —

Comments

1. Joe Felice says

I recall always getting snagged on the screw heads, especially when wiping down the counter tops. Little strings from the dish cloth would get stuck on the screw heads.

2. paula gremley says

I have a 1953 Crane Kitchen Queen Kitchen. The aluminum edging on the little window shelves is popping off and it is bugging me. I search the site and can’t find anything addressing how to repair edging. I think I could squirt some glue in there but can’t imagine how I can clamp it. I suppose I could use duct tape to hold the trim until the glue sets.

If anyone has done this? Any suggestion welcome.

Paula

For renovation shoppers in Oregon, we stock 12′ length of retro metal edging for countertops. This is a fluted aluminum edge, 1 1/4″ wide, with a tee. $38.00 for 12′ lengths.
    Lansing Linoleum Co., Inc.
    7307 SE Foster Rd.
    Portland, OR 97206
    503-777-3333

• paula gremley says

Thanks! Is there a link with a picture?

Also, those with metal cabinets google metal spice tins. I have herbs stored in these on the inside of a cabinet door near the stove.

My sister’s and I just re did the kitchen in the house we grew up in, and we got the edging, trim and mouldings from Outwater Plastics. We put linoleum on the counter tops. We wear going to use Marmoleum but Armstrong makes the same thing, and it isn’t as pricey. We also used VCT tiles on the floor. I wish I could upload a photo, but I don’t see how you can do that here.

• Joe Felice says

Yes. T-nosing/trim can. The trick is in the installation. If you don’t know how to do it, you should hire a professional, as I did. The trim has to have the baking cut in order to bend it around curves, such as on the corners of my dining table and on my breakfast bar. I also installed the cove molding along the wall where it meets the counter, but I do not think that could be bent more than a few degrees. Since I had a 90-degree corner, I just used my cheap-o miter box to cut the two end at 45 degrees, and the fit perfectly.

5. Ro Mayer says

I have a Herman Miller Eames designed pedestal breakfast room size table.I gave it to my daughter who used it outside. The table top is made of wood fiber which swelled.That made the table edging pop off. I tried to reattach it. But the swelling has made the table circumference increase enough that the original edging is no longer big enough to meet by an inch or more. Otherwise the table is still functional. I was looking around the net for edging options and came across your site with its counter edging suggestions and retro furniture add links. I thought you might be able to suggest some options. Thank you.

6. James Kunc says

I am looking to buy silver metal nose trim for counter tops and cabinets and can’t locate. Any help would be appreciated. James Kunc

James, try our sources in this story — you need to look at the story, note the vendors and reach out to them directly. Good luck.

7. AJ says

I can’t to seem to find any fluted edging that has gaps in the teeth so that it will go around a round table or curved surface. Any suggestions?

8. Lisa says

I am getting ready to put in a red countertop for our 40’s/50’s kitchen, probably the Wilsonart Pomegranate wavy laminate you featured in another story here. As I have been pouring through the archives I went to the Outwater Plastics Industries, Inc. someone mentioned in the comments above. I discovered an option for a “no notch aluminum tee molding.” It says this new technology allows you to go around curves without having to cut notches in the tee part. I have been agonizing about these metal edgings for a few years. I would love to know if anyone has used these new “no notch” tee mouldings. Because we will be doing this “the hard way” without contractors, I need this installation to be as simple as possible. Don’t know if this is the right place to ask this question so if it isn’t, please feel free, Pam, to move it to the proper place. The husband said I can order the laminate in March so I am looking forward to pinning down this metal edging.

Thanks soooooo much for the inspiration and resources this site provides. I am embarrassed to say how much time I spend on this site Every. Single. Day.

9. Donna says

P.S. Lisa, we have since learned that the aluminum does scratch, so be careful with metal items like belt buckles and stuff if you install this product. I was wearing a belt and washing the dishes and it left some marks.