NOS vintage Moe lighting galore

vintage-moe-lights-NOSSome delectable eye candy for our TGIF: Stunning New Old Stock vintage Moe lighting from Alia, owner of Etsy shop Morning Glory Moderne. Alia discovered all of these vintage lights — much of them in unopened boxes — along with many other vintage goodies like hardware, coffee makers, TV trays and more in the back of an old hardware shop. Cleaning up these vintage finds and listing them in her shop has been a labor of love for Alia, who is surely living every mid-century picker’s dream as she uncovers more fabulous finds within the stash on a daily basis.

hardware-store-stash

Alia writes:

So, the hardware store is a small town hardware store that’s been owned for generations by the same family. I did an estate sale for these folks, got to be friends with them, and they asked me and my other friend to sell their inventory. We almost died when we went up there. I’m not exaggerating.  Stacks of Moes, and just anything you can think of –  NOS TV trays, coffee makers, dishes, tap lites, hardware from 1920s through the 70s, NOS lunch boxes — anything a hardware store sold back in the day. It’s dirty, there are mice, it’s under tons of other stuff, and it’s pretty much heaven for people like me.  About 60% of these lights are in the original box, but opened. Most have instructions; some have the hardware. I couldn’t figure it out.

hardware-storeAfter talking to some of the older folks at the hardware store, what I’m pretty sure happened is that the father of the owner (who is in his 60s) bought out an old lighting store that went out of business. I’m pretty sure the opened ones were used for display. For “truth in advertising,” I’m not listing those as NOS, but saying they are display pieces. The others are certainly NOS and unopened.

vintage-moe-pendant-lightJust look at the lines of this fun and playful pendant light — adorable, don’t you think?

midcentury-moe-kitchen-pendant mid-century-moe-light-wiremid-century-moe-lightUFO-retro-moe-light

The shape, the repetition, and the elegant design of this UFO style light make it a true work of art — what I wouldn’t give to have this hanging in my kitchen.

mid-century-retro-light retro-atomic-UFO-kitchen-lightMoe-UFO-lightUFO--light-finial moe-string-light-vintageThis ceiling lamp is amazing — I love the use of string in the design — pure perfection if you ask me.

mid-century-string-light mid-century-ceiling-light retro-string-light-Moe mid-century-retro-pole-light vintage-pole-light retro-wire-pole-lightThis pole light is to-die-for. The mix of shiny metal and natural rope shades with accents of black is so classy and sophisticated.

mid-century-pole-light retro-starburst-ceiling-light starburst-light atomic-UFO-ceiling-light mid-century-mod-ceiling-light mid-century-UFO-light-retro UFO-ceiling-light-mid-century retro-wall-sconce-moe moe-midcentury-wall-sconceLook at the profile of this wall sconce. I love the architectural qualities of these lights.

mid-century-wall-sconce mid-century-kitchen-light-fixture vintage-kitchen-light-fixtureThe crackle finish on this kitchen light is unlike anything I’ve seen before. Kind of a mix of shabby chic and midcentury modern.

mid-century-crackle-light retro-Moe-glitter-light midcentury-moe-orb-light mid-century-ball-light vintage-moe-gravel-lightThis globe light looks to be coated with some sort of gravel art like substance. Talk about texture.

bullet-light retro-bullet-light midcentury-moe-honeycomb-pendant-lightWe’ve written about vintage Moe honeycomb lights before. What a lovely example this one is.

Moe-honeycomb-light-blue-and-green Vintage-Honeycomb-light-moe sparkle-retro-wall-sconce mid-century-moe-wall-sconceThis wall sconce would look amazing in a midcentury bathroom with its chrome band around the base and sparkly edges.

Mega thanks to Alia for sharing these fabulous photos of her finds with us. If you’re interested in purchasing one of these beauties, all of these fabulous vintage lights and more are up for sale in Alia’s Etsy shop Morning Glory Moderne.

Note: We’re not gettin’ any money or anything for posting this. We just love showing — and being permitted to forever-archive – these photos.

Comments

1. michael says

I have that exact Moe light in the small hallway off my garage. What a treat to see it this morning. I’d love to buy several of these lights, and I’ll have to watch her store. This reminds me I wanted to ask if anyone wanted my all original one owner 1965 featured here. I’d be happy to tel it’s story and share pictures.

Gorgeous stuff!

Pulldown lamps are the Rodney Dangerfield of lighting. They just don’t get enough respect. Hang one over your kitchen table and you can transform the room from family central to intimate dinner in seconds.

And never has so little floor space given as much light as it does with a pole lamp. I have one next to my bed. Each of the three shades look like Gemini Space Capsules. I hang my hat on one of the nose cones.

Plug in a Pole and the countdown’s on for perfect illumination. The rotary switch becomes your own little mission control!

Aim the top shade at the ceiling for indirect light then turn the switch to position one for indirect light for your journey into night. Middle shade is aimed at my side of the bed and the bottom shade at the wall next to the headboard. With the switch in position two all systems are go for glare-free reading in bed. Switch position three lights up all three capsules to bathe the whole room with light.

I’m tellin’ ya, life’s better with pull downs and poles.

3. Ranger Smith says

OMG those are stunning! I especially like the pole lights, which I think are very practical. Its curious to me that pole lights are not in vogue. They are very practical in that they can be adjusted to cast light in various directions, while taking up a minimum of space. Great find!

• says

Ranger Smith, I couldn’t agree more about pole lamps. They are at once practical and sculptural. Some things, like console TVs and HiFIs went the way of the dinosaur because of newer technology. Not so with pole lamps. I suspect they will be rediscovered soon. Fortunately they can still be found at yard sales because too few share our passion for them.

Glad to see there are others on this board.

4. Kersten says

Oh my word! This would be a dream come true for me! I **LOVE** old hardware stores and all the hidden treasures stored away in some back room!

5. ecoffeedrinker says

And she has several aluminum screen door letters!! I have been searching for a Z for years & you just made my husband’s dreams come true!

6. Janet says

Thanks Pam for the tips! Too late for the wall sconces (someone is so very, very lucky) but found some great stuff!

7. Lisa Compo says

Wow, that is a great find. She has some really neat items. I checked out her Etsy shop and she has a very nice variety of things. Of course, I found about 10 things I’d like to have. :)

8. Kristy says

We have all Moe lighting in our 1964 home- except for the dining area which was replaced by the former owners sometime in the 90′s- I wish I knew what was originally there!

We have two of the globe lights with the “gravel” texture in our stairway and entryway. One is white and one is orange. The gravel is really like little beads of plastic all over the outside. They are fabulous! When I was looking at houses online I got to the second picture of the inside of the house and it featured these lights – I gasped out loud and knew that the house had to be mine!

9. Laurie Louise says

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The pole lights should be perfect on our soon-to-be restored screened porch. And if they’re not, I’m sure they’ll be perfect somewhere! Also enjoyed walking down memory lane…no kitchen is complete without an avocado coffee urn!

10. Mary Baum says

As we were leaving mom’s house for the last time in 1997 my Aunt Shirley asked, “Did you take the kitchen light? It’s a Moe.” I didn’t know what a Moe was but I took it. It’s in my dinning room, very cool.

11. Joe Felice says

I especially like the honeycomb light when on. And I wish I still had one of the several pole lamps we used to have back in the day.

12. Scott says

OUCH. Wish I’d seen this a little earlier, most of the goodies are gone now. The seller does have a nice selection of the mid 1950s aluminum storm door letters, but unfortunately no “B” left. Just not my day. :-)

13. KimberJ says

Thanks so much Pam! Your article led me to Alia’s Etsy site. I bought the light with the yellow cording on it for my entry way. We live fairly near each other so I’m going to show her the other areas in my home that need vintage lighting. She has more stock that isn’t opened or listed so everyone should keep checking back :)
    Thanks Again Pam!