Dear John Hollywood Parisian poodle vintage toilet seat

vintage poodle toilet seatBack in the 40s and 50s, the luxury of having indoor plumbing was truly a thing to celebrate — and not unlike today, people enjoyed their toilet humor. Today’s awesome example: This vintage toilet seat  artfully painted with primping french poodles and humorous messages for the ladies and the gents. There’s even a name, Dear John Hollywood, with a copyright — maybe there are more of these out there, manufactured in some volume? Oui Oui Madame!

vintage poodle toilet seatListing ends today

Spotted by reader Chicago Char (thank you, Char!), this vintage poodle toilet seat is for sale RIGHT NOW on ebay. *affiliate link*) But, if you *neeeeed* this vintage treasure, you better get moving, the auction ends today, and there are bidders.

vintage poodle toilet seat vintage poodle toilet seatThis vintage toilet seat is absolutely hilarious in the most polite of ways — with the top of the seat asking ladies to be seated atop the painted poodle profiles, dainty bows and a striped fire hydrant…

vintage poodle toilet seatAnd when raised for the gents, the bottom of the seat exclaims “Oo, La La Papa” — interpretation of which can be left to the imagination.

This toilet seat was undoubtably created for use in a vintage pink bathroom — one with an owner who didn’t take life too seriously — and one in which the throne is what makes it so wonderful.

Update: Mega thanks to reader Erik for spotting this link to an advertisement for Dear John toilet seat decals from a 1954 issue of Popular Science magazine on the blog Modern Mechanix. Looks like there were more of these folks — keep your eyes peeled!

Comments

1. Rickie says

This would be perfect in my pink poodle bathroom. I’ve never seen one of these before and believe me, I’ve done a lot of searching and digging through many junk and antique stores. I love it!!!

I remember the basement bathroom in Grandma’s House all Black and pink tile had whole set of bathroom accessories in this theme. She had the Kleenex holder, extra toilet tissue holder, scrubber for the toilet bowl and even a guest soap holder in black metal design. If I remember correctly I think even the wallpaper had a French poodle theme. But she did not have this!

• Donna Benton says

My neighbors gave me a set with a pink garbage pail, which holds 6 rolls of TP; and the bowl cleaner, I found a black tissue paper holder last year. Now if I can find the soap holder. I have a black and while, Parti Poodle. Thank you for Sharing.

3. cathie says

I love almost everything profiled on your site, but have to draw the line at an old toilet seat. Big, big yuck! The only place it should go is the garbage.

• Roundhouse Sarah says

That’s silly…. It’s a hard surface like any other. Get our your anti bacterial spray and you’re good to go…

• Jay says

Yes, I tend to agree, I see it as an old t-seat I want no part of and wonder why on earth someone would sell it. But on the other hand, it’s evocative of the time period when poodle decor in the loo was all the rage and after seeing the link to the decals I am sure many RR folks will attempt their own seat embellishment – Kate is up to the challenge.

• Chicago Char says

I thought that too when I first saw the poodle lid and seat but then I realized once any toilet seat is out of a package and used then it becomes a used closed toilet seat.

I also figured that this likely was used less than any public restroom open toilet seat and is better than any soft closed toilet seat. Perhaps having its design actually discouraged sloppiness. At any rate I am always delighted to discover and share something I’d never seen before!

4. retro says

I’ve been drooling over a glitter toilet seat on ebay for awhile now. It’s in the UK, so shipping would kill me. The acrylic seats are heavy! But, this is so much more simple! A few decals, a couple of coats of acrylic over the top … Wha la! Look out – fishy toilet seat here I come!

Yes…. maybe look for vintage Meyercords on ebay and etsy? Oopsy, I feel a Katiedoodle retro-crafty assignment coming on! Spray lacquer over the decal once it’s on…

5. lynda says

Maybe someone could find a white wooden NEW toilet seat and reproduce this look? It is sort of cute. I found some wooden seats with a quick check on Amazon. Someone should do this and show us their talent! I found quite a few poodle decals too.

Oh no! Oh yes! This is so hilarious. It is polarizing-you either love it or hate it. I love it, especially the poodle’s can-can dancer corset with cone bra. I chuckled at the sheer wackiness of it, with every surface covered with weirdness. Thank you, it made my day.

Now that’s a real treat! I’d definitely fall into a fit of the giggles seeing it somewhere, but that’s a reason to get it, definitely. 😉 What a find, it’s so much fun!

8. jim says

“Back in the 40s and 50s, the luxury of having indoor plumbing was truly a thing to celebrate”

Kate, exactly how old are you? My city family has had indoor plumbing since at least the 20’s. Even on our farm they had indoor toilets by the 30’s.

Now poodle toilet seats, that’s an entirely different kettle of fish!

• Angie says

Agreed
        . For indoor plumbing it really depended on where you were located geographically. Some areas just didn’t advance as quickly as others. I suspect there are still places in my home county that still do not have indoor plumbing.

• Rick S says

Pam,
        I was born in 1960 and remember using the outhouse at my Dad’s parents house on the farm, in rural Wisconsin. It was only when they moved to a different farm did the house have an “indoor” bathroom. My mom’s parents had one indoor bathroom at the time but the outhouse was still in use too.
        Electricity & indoor plumbing were much less common once you got out of town.

rick

• Jay says

The key phrase as you said is “city”. Geography played a big part. The deep south and apalachian areas had neither electricity nor indoor plumbing unless you were in a very large town or city. WWII changed the dynamics, after which much needed new housing, road and infrastructure construction took place.

9. Kris says

I’d never thought of decorating a toilet seat before. I’d forgotten the large winking owl that was on the inside of the lid of our toilet seat when I was a little kid in the 70s. I’m renovating my home so I think I will have to keep this idea in mind.

10. Kit says

My grandma had a red felt craft tie on Christmas lid cover that had a smiling Santa face with one white (or was it black or green?) mitten up waving hello. When you lifted the lid to use the toilet, the mittens covered his eyes. It was in the 1060’s.. It was sewn all round the edges 1/2 way, but unstitched from there down so it would fit, and had ties on the front and backside to hold the edges together. I must have been about 6 and thought the Metalic gold Rick-rack was beautiful! I’m sure she probably made it, and when her house was cleaned out, I found it and kept it for the pattern, but haven’t done anything with it.

I think though, that there might be a cleanliness issue if you a guest who was not very ‘neat’.

I am 60 years old and was 3 when my parents bought their first house in town. Up until than, we never had an indoor bathroom. It was quite a luxury to have just one small bathroom shared amongst the 9 of us in little 1100 sq.ft. mid century brick and cedar ranch.

11. Kit says

My brothers and sisters all remember going in to town to my grandmas house on Sunday for a weekly bath. Ihave vague memories, but it’s more from the stories, I suspect. There are photos of two ‘batches’ of kids in her tub since all seven of us were born in seven years and my grandparents didn’t want to fill the tub more than twice.

12. Joshua says

The link to the blow is missing the H in the http:…it comes back with an error unless you notice the h missing you would not know why.