Maile’s vintage Magic Chef stove “Miss Lucille” takes her rightful place in the kitchen

vintage kitchen stoveRemember how Maile transformed her dark 70s kitchen into a bright, sunny 1940s delight? When we first featured this story, the kitchen was nearly complete, save the final pièce de résistance — her waiting-to-be-restored-and-converted-to-propane 1948 Magic Chef Stove. We finally received word that the stove — which Maile has affectionately named “Miss Lucille” — has taken its rightful place in her sunny vintage kitchen.

vintage kitchen stove Maile writes:

Miss Lucille….my 1948 Magic Chef Stove is installed in my kitchen. I can’t tell you how much fun it is to cook with gas again!  It’s like all the pieces came together for this. She was named Miss Lucille after my dear aunt who was an exceptional, contest winning, published, ‘oh yeah, James Beard called me for a recipe’ kinda cook.

I send a big, huge, humongus ‘thank you’ to Rex at Homestead Vintage Stove Company, dealers in antique stoves. He did a wonderful job retrofitting her from natural gas to propane, and she cooks like a dream.

vintage-kitchen

Maile’s old stove, a placeholder for Miss Lucille.

vintage kitchen stoveMaile, the stove looks fantastic in your kitchen. I’m sure it was worth the long wait to be able to cook with gas on “Miss Lucille” every day!

More vintage stoves:

Comments

1. Chris says

What a beauty! In my opinion, a lovely vintage stove is the keystone of a retro kitchen. (Wish I could afford one! What fun it would be!) Miss Lucille is just gorgeous!

• Maile says

Thanks Chris. I found her on Craigslist in a house about to be demolished. She needed me as much as I needed her. It was meant to be! In fact, some of the cabinet handles came from that old house. They were happy to give them to me.

This renovation is one of my favorites on this site, and that stove is perfect! I hope we can do an equally good job when we start tackling our beyond worn-out 1949 kitchen.

3. Janet in ME says

Maile, your kitchen is lovely and your stove is wonderful and the perfect choice. I love old stoves and have a 1958 GE in my kitchen. I know a lot of people admired the NOS Airliner and I just wanted to give a bit of advice on those older double oven sized stoves. Some of the early GE’s were 39″, not 40″ wide. If your stove is built right in between the cabinets, and you are getting another old one, be sure to check the width. Sometimes we had a problem selling the 40″ one because it wouldn’t fit and people couldn’t cut down the cabinets. Just a bit of a warning to be careful measuring.

4. LuAnn says

I just love this kitchen renovation and the stove is the crowning glory. I love how Maile chose the era she loved and was able to make here dream kitchen. 🙂

5. J D Log says

It looks great and such a huge difference for the look of the kitchen. I know I find pleasure cooking on my 1957 St George double cooker. Are you going to go the next step with a vintage fridge?

• Mary Elizabeth says

Maile, your stove is beautiful and your kitchen happily completed. May you enjoy it for many years. J. D., are you British? That’s the only people I know who call stoves “cookers.”

• J D Log says

I am Australian but as a kid we used what is known as the Queens English as my parents would say colour instead of color, bonnet instead of hood bog instead of bondo not sure if the younger generation are taught this anymore with the advent of computers.

• Maile says

No, unfortunately the cost of a retro fridge isn’t in the budget. I wish you could just buy vintage door facades to put on current models!

6. Scott says

Congrats, the “new” stove really ices the cake perfectly. I don’ t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like this model before, a very intriguing design indeed.

• Maile says

Yes, this was such a hard model to track down! I spent hours going through old photos and adds trying to date this stove. I finally found a very grainy pic of an old Magic Chef brochure showing this model dated 1948. I’m still trying to figure out what the two side cabinets are for besides storage.

7. Ed says

Reminds me of the Tom & Jerry cartoons I saw as a kid in the early ’80s. They always seemed to have a strong 1940s/50s feel.

8. lorraine says

Beautiful! And i’m following your Pinterist board. Finished the kitchen in my main house, now doing a “kitchenette” in my guest/office/studo in shades of Jadeite and red accents. I wanted to do linoleum counters but I don’t think anyone around here is qualified to install and I don’t want to be some contractor’s learning curve so I’m doing butcher block.

9. Mary Lou Keller says

Oh how delightful to see the happy ending of this story! The stove looks perfect there! So happy you were able to get it restored and converted! I love the name. My mom’s name was Lucille and she was a wonderful southern cook.

10. Christy says

My grandmother and then my mom had an identical stove when I was a kid. It was so old toward the end of it’s life (1970s) we had to prop a chair against the oven door when we were using it. But it still baked the best cookies and pizza of any stove I’ve used since. It’s comforting to know there is at least one that still exists. Brava!

• Maile says

Christie!!!! Maybe you can tell me what the metal bar is for in the right cabinet. I can’t figure it out. Hang towels? Doesn’t seem safe. Also, if you know of anyone who would have another oven rack for this stove, I’d love to hear from you. The measurement is 16×17.
      thanks!

11. Kersten says

Maile, after reading the original story, I ordered samples of both the counter color and flooring! I’m trying to begin ideas for our 1955 knotty pine kitchen, and I think that floor would be lovely with the wood. How are you liking the floor? The sample makes the color seem dark, but your photos sure look nice and light and bright and optimistic! Super great job! I’m going to visit your pinterest board next.

• Maile says

I love the floor, and it’s so easy to clean. Just make sure you have an installer that is familiar with this commercial grade flooring. You’re going to love it!

12. rosemary says

hi, I am interested in your counter edging. we are re doing an old camper and want edging like that for the cabinetry.

Rosemary, see the original story — click on the hotlink in bright blue in the first sentence of this story.

The original story cites resources — although Maile says she is not sure where her contractor got her edging.

We have lots of sources for metal edging — see our our Kitchen Help / Countertops category here — http://retrorenovation.com/category/kitchen/countertops/ — or, use the Search box, it works really really well.

13. Nancy diedricksen says

I have this exact same stove…..salvaged from the Otter Creek fire dept. on mount desert island in Maine……it needs work and I can’t find the model number or parts…..help!

• Maile says

Hi Nancy, I have spent hours and hours on line searching for pix/info on this stove, but with no little luck. I’ve seen a couple for sale in the midwest, but without any good info. I do have on my Pinterest board a hard to read pix of a 1948 brochure from Magic Chef showing this model. I have yet to figure out what to use the side cabinets for other than storage. My oven only had one rack in it, so I’d dearly love to find another! You’re going to love cooking on your stove, and the oven heats up so quickly.