Karlie’s vintage Metters Cook n’ Clean stove — a countertop range and oven combination

vintage metters stoveKarlieOne of the great joys of social media is that it helps us discover all manner of midcentury products that we might otherwise never come across out in the wild. Case in point: Karlie’s amazing vintage Metters Cook n’ Clean oven and stovetop combination — it’s designed to sit totally on the countertop! Karlie — who lives in Australia — and I ‘met’ via the Retro Renovation Facebook page, where she shared this woddity wonder from Down Under — and then we emailed back and forth to get even more photos.

vintage metters stove

Karlie writes:

Hi there! Not much more to see in my little stove, but I have always loved the knobs and dials!!! It’s a split oven, with the grill and stove beside the oven!

vintage metters stovevintage metters stovevintage metters stovevintage metters stovevintage metters stoveThat stove is awesome — such a great design for a small kitchen! And hey, what about those tiles behind it, Karlie?

vintage sparkle vinyl wall tile

Karlie replied:

The other magical feature is our original glitter wall vinyl tiles!

Mmmm glitter vinyl! So amazing — we love it, Karlie. We do see vintage tiles like this, New Old Stock, on ebay now and then. And remember the Lam-O-Tile, I’d love to know if anyone did something spectacular with that.

Of course, Precautionary Pam is wont to remind: Old materials in our houses may contain vintage nastiness such as asbestos and lead, etc. — get yee with your own properly licensed professional to assess what you have so that you can make informed decisions.

Thanks for sharing, Karlie — it’s fabulous to see the different brands and designs available across the big pond!

Comments

1. lynda says

How fun! Seems like that could be useful now for a basement kitchen, or a studio apt. Also about asbestos, in Maryland, I looked up the state approved testing facilities for asbestos. I talked to a couple of them last week. Both asked me to mail in a 2″ x 2″ square of the tile with some of the adhesive on it in a plastic zipper bag. They both said it would take about a week for an answer. However, one charged $95 and the other was $25! Pays to call around.

2. Dan says

What a sensible appliance, although those dials could be tricky to work with a full cooktop. Where does the “clean” bit come in?

3. Holly says

Cool stove! Those knobs and dials are fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

Very practical for a small space. If any walls are on an angle, something like this gives you more design options.
    I have an A-frame chalet and need to redo the kitchen. Always looking for ideas.

4. Scott says

That’s like the discovery of an entirely new species. What’s the cool little door under the cooktop, storage or a warming area?

• Glen H says

The little door opens on to the griller, it’s a common configuration on older type stoves here. The side by side layout was fairly common until built-in type appliances became popular in the 1970s.
        These were always mounted on top of a cupboard base, not on legs.
        My mother had this type of stove, Chef brand using gas instead of electricity.

5. Joe Felice says

With a microwave, that little oven is all I’d need. I’ve lived in my current home for 18 years, and I think I’ve used the oven 5 times, to cook pre-made cookies and warm pizzas. Who needs self-clean?

6. Mary Elizabeth says

I love these! I wonder if they were designed to take with you when you moved to your next house? Having two parts would make each piece lighter to carry than a full stove. The natural progression from here would have been the countertop burners and the built-in wall oven.