hudee ring adDC Girl Rebecca sent in this question about hootie rings. Yes — hootie rings!

Pam,

Do you know if anyone sells just the metal rim to go around sinks? I have a fantastic, huge cast iron sink that I want to reuse after replacing our countertops, but a plumber I had in recently said I couldn’t because no one makes that edging anymore and it’s next to impossible to remove the sink without damaging it.

This can’t be true, can it?

Rebecca

Update: See this story — we found the source — and note the correct spelling of HUDEE!

Originally, I had consulted with John V. of deabath.com, who explained that saving the existing ring may be possible, or not:

Hi Pam;

Unfortunately, the plumber is fairly accurate.  Quite a few of those old Hootie rings were made specifically for the sink, and once the sink is discontinued, the ring goes as well.  The best I could recommend to your reader is to hit up local, well established plumbing houses and hope there’s one kicking around in the warehouse…

I’ve saved them before, and I’ve lost them before as well.  It just depends on what material was used to seal the ring onto the old countertop.  I would certainly give it a go.  And, as long as the ring isn’t physically broken, a body shop can probably repair the damage incurred during removal.  Give it a shot, what do you have to lose?

Believe it or not, the ring were originally made by Hootie Manufacturing.  Love the name….

John

Love that name, too, John, thank you!

Some pristine "Sun Tan" Crane fixtures currently at deabath.com - they have a new pink toilet, too!
Some pristine fixtured for sale now at deabath.com

1. Marguerite says:

I see this is very old, and that your question was not answered here. I am in the same quandry. I got the sink out, even bought a new hudee ring to fit the sink, couldn’t get the old one off, so I just cleaned underneath it. Soaked all the rusted clips in the rust remover stuff, sanded clean, wire brushed the screws, all working now. Setting the sink back in today. There was nothing under the hudee; i.e. plumbers putty, silicone, but thinking it prob doesn’t need any as the clamps tighten it down to make a seal. So I now have a 32×21 hudee that I won’t be using because the old one just would NOT come off the sink. I guess I could have pried it up and off, but then i figured what if the new one won’t go on, so I left it. The new sinks with their lips are a hassel so I do not want a new sink, plus the sink I have is a very pretty teal color.

2. lambchop1968 says:

I have the hootie rings on both bathroom sinks. I redid the countertops but didn’t replace the sinks. The ring wasn’t the color I wanted for the updated bathrooms, so I painted my hootie rings! I finished off w/several coats of clear varnish. So far it seems to be working well and I am very happy w/the way it looks:)

3. Jennifer C says:

Barkeeper’s Friend is the ONLY thing that cleans our 1957 original kitchen sink. Our sink is white, so be sure to check if it will work on a colored sink if you need it to. It does a great job with a minimum of elbow grease. Good luck!

Jen

4. Leslie says:

I’m a little late to the party here, but there is only one company, to my knowledge, that still makes true-to-the-period cast iron bath and kitchen sinks with Hootie rings and that company is CECO.

To my knowledge, you cannot by the ring ala carte, you need to buy the sink and ring together, but these sinks are the real deal.

CECO’s web site is terrible, but their phone number is posted at http://www.cecosinks.com and you can call them. They are in Santa Anna, CA.

Or, you can log on to FaucetDepot.com and take a look at some of CECO’s products. Here is just one to get you started:

5. pam kueber says:

Leslie, we have written about CECO including speaking with the company directly — they should come right up in our Search box or in Kitchen Help/Sinks and Bathroom Help/Sinks..

Kohler has the Delafield — use the Search box or category.

And see all our stories about Vance Industries — where you can still get hudee rings — Use the search box or category.

This story that you commented on is a quite old one… we are all over this issue!!!! Thanks!

6. Deborah says:

I’m landing on this one late. I would love to save the hudee ring on my cast iron kitchen sink as well. The sink isn’t the prettiest but it’s original to the house and still quite serviceable. Old and slightly dinged is okay with me.

7. Linda says:

I would like to simply loosen the seal of my hudee ring, leaving the sink, plumbing, and counter in place, to relaminate the countertop. I will either remove the existing laminate or go over it with new, and then hope to re-attach the hudee ring. Has anyone done this? Removing and replacing the sink is a bigger job than I want to take on.

8. Laurey says:

Hi – I’m updating my bathroom which has a sink with a hudee ring. Have you been able to remove just the ring keeping the sink and plumbing in place? I’d like to paint or replace the ring. Thanks.

9. Linda says:

I have not done the work yet. I have been told the ring is holding the sink in place. Remove the ring, and the sink drops down. However, I also heard the sink can be reinstalled – either with the salvaged original ring (can be tricky to pull off) or a new ring from Vance.

10. Pam Kueber says:

I believe there are clips holding things in place as well. Another place to investigate: Installation instructions for the Kohler Tahoe or Delafield with metal ring.