hudee ring adDC Girl Rebecca sent in this question about hootie rings. Yes — hootie rings!

Pam,

Do you know if anyone sells just the metal rim to go around sinks? I have a fantastic, huge cast iron sink that I want to reuse after replacing our countertops, but a plumber I had in recently said I couldn’t because no one makes that edging anymore and it’s next to impossible to remove the sink without damaging it.

This can’t be true, can it?

Rebecca

Update: See this story — we found the source — and note the correct spelling of HUDEE!

Originally, I had consulted with John V. of deabath.com, who explained that saving the existing ring may be possible, or not:

Hi Pam;

Unfortunately, the plumber is fairly accurate.  Quite a few of those old Hootie rings were made specifically for the sink, and once the sink is discontinued, the ring goes as well.  The best I could recommend to your reader is to hit up local, well established plumbing houses and hope there’s one kicking around in the warehouse…

I’ve saved them before, and I’ve lost them before as well.  It just depends on what material was used to seal the ring onto the old countertop.  I would certainly give it a go.  And, as long as the ring isn’t physically broken, a body shop can probably repair the damage incurred during removal.  Give it a shot, what do you have to lose?

Believe it or not, the ring were originally made by Hootie Manufacturing.  Love the name….

John

Love that name, too, John, thank you!

Some pristine "Sun Tan" Crane fixtures currently at deabath.com - they have a new pink toilet, too!
Some pristine fixtured for sale now at deabath.com

1. digitera, our helper removed it, but I’m pretty sure it was mainly held in place with metal clips. He was careful enough with them that we could reuse the clips. I understand the clips aren’t always salvageable, because they rust. I’ve heard you can get new clips, but I’ve also heard the new clips don’t always fit or work exactly right.

As for removing the ring, I would use a putty knife or something very flat to separate it from the countertop. Maybe even use a utility knife first, to break the glue seal at the outside of the ring.

Good luck!

2. Doug D. says:

Kohler stil makes different sizes, colors & configurations of cast iron sinks with new hudee rings and clips. I special ordered a white 2 sided kitchen sink with a ring from Home Depot about 1.5 years ago. I also order a yellow and a white bathroom sink with new rings. The yellow one matched the original 1963 Kohler sink exactly & fit in the hole in the original formica countertop.

1. pam kueber says:

Yes, Doug, you are right.

We have stories on Kohler’s Delafield and Bakersfield sinks on our Kitchen Fast & Easy Page here: https://retrorenovation.com/retro-kitchens/

And the Tahoe sink is listed on our Bathrooms Fast & Easy Page/Sinks here: https://retrorenovation.com/bathroom-hardware/sinks-and-sink-legs/ … The round bathroom sink with metal hudee ring is called Kohler Caxton. AND, Crane also makes at least one model of hudee-ringed bathroom sink.

Welcome, and keep your ideas coming! Also, we’d LOVE to see your ’63 bathroom retro renovation! send pics if you like, to retrorenovation [at] gmail [dot] com.

3. mid.century.girl says:

kohler also makes the hudee ring for 2 styles of sinks: one bath and kitchen…we just bought them…a &*#$! to install.

4. Jean says:

I have a 42″” double white kitchen sink with Huddee ring and my husbamd wants to replace with a new Kohler Cape Dory single basin. I am having missed feelings about this because the old sink is fairly chipped and one edge of the sink is seperated from the ring. We have to replace the old countertops which I am going to do in Formica and am really afaid I am going to be unhappy with everything new and clean looking around a n old and dingy sink. Help! I need some advice and feedback. I looked into resurfacing the sink and it’s quite expensive, nearly the price of a new sink.
    Thanks!
    Jean

5. Robert Shafer says:

Where can I purchase a hutee ring . I have a tripple cast iron sink 22″ x 42″.

Is there a special place that will make one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. pam kueber says:

robert, you are going to have to search online. i might have seen some info somewhere but i can’t remember and have never done a post. note, there were 1,056 different hudee ring sizes. first place to try: kohler sells metal ringed sink and stocks the hudee for it, not sure of the size. also try mac the antique plumber, who carries a different sized sink. then its google til your eyes pop out

6. Sue Christenson says:

We were able to save BOTH of our hootie rings, but alas, were not able to reuse the clips. Does anyone know where I can get the clips for these darn things? Or if there is a substitute that will work? The sinks are Elkay brand. Thanks in advance for your help.

7. Janet Gore says:

We have successfully removed two cast iron bathroom sinks along with the hootie rights that were with them for reinstallation (counter tops to be replaced). Cannot determine what type of “cement” was used to seal the ring to the sink and the countertop? Just curious ’cause we’re having a “heck of a time” getting that tannish stuff off. I know this isn’t a Q/A site, but thought maybe someone had some experience with the same thing ……

1. pam kueber says:

I recommend you contact deabath tomorrow – they are my go-to people on questions like this – may have a product that can help!

8. Seattle Amy says:

I have a question that is probably pretty lame for all the experienced people…how do I REINSTALL my sink with hoody/hootie/hodee ring?

I pulled the sink out to take the the local ACE to get the stopper out (it was super stuck and we think someone glued it in).

I have refinished the sink with tub & tile epoxy paint. It turned out great.

I painted the counter with stainless steal paint (turned out surprisingly good).

Now I have to put it all back together, but I can’t find anything on the web that tells me how to do this. I have plumber’s putty…but where to I put it? How much to put on? What’s the process to get the ring/sink/clamps back together?

I’m STUCK! If someone could help, I would really appreciate it!!

1. Marguerite says:

I see this is very old, and that your question was not answered here. I am in the same quandry. I got the sink out, even bought a new hudee ring to fit the sink, couldn’t get the old one off, so I just cleaned underneath it. Soaked all the rusted clips in the rust remover stuff, sanded clean, wire brushed the screws, all working now. Setting the sink back in today. There was nothing under the hudee; i.e. plumbers putty, silicone, but thinking it prob doesn’t need any as the clamps tighten it down to make a seal. So I now have a 32×21 hudee that I won’t be using because the old one just would NOT come off the sink. I guess I could have pried it up and off, but then i figured what if the new one won’t go on, so I left it. The new sinks with their lips are a hassel so I do not want a new sink, plus the sink I have is a very pretty teal color.

9. lambchop1968 says:

I have the hootie rings on both bathroom sinks. I redid the countertops but didn’t replace the sinks. The ring wasn’t the color I wanted for the updated bathrooms, so I painted my hootie rings! I finished off w/several coats of clear varnish. So far it seems to be working well and I am very happy w/the way it looks:)

10. Leslie says:

I’m a little late to the party here, but there is only one company, to my knowledge, that still makes true-to-the-period cast iron bath and kitchen sinks with Hootie rings and that company is CECO.

To my knowledge, you cannot by the ring ala carte, you need to buy the sink and ring together, but these sinks are the real deal.

CECO’s web site is terrible, but their phone number is posted at http://www.cecosinks.com and you can call them. They are in Santa Anna, CA.

Or, you can log on to FaucetDepot.com and take a look at some of CECO’s products. Here is just one to get you started:

1. pam kueber says:

Leslie, we have written about CECO including speaking with the company directly — they should come right up in our Search box or in Kitchen Help/Sinks and Bathroom Help/Sinks..

Kohler has the Delafield — use the Search box or category.

And see all our stories about Vance Industries — where you can still get hudee rings — Use the search box or category.

This story that you commented on is a quite old one… we are all over this issue!!!! Thanks!

11. Deborah says:

I’m landing on this one late. I would love to save the hudee ring on my cast iron kitchen sink as well. The sink isn’t the prettiest but it’s original to the house and still quite serviceable. Old and slightly dinged is okay with me.

12. Linda says:

I would like to simply loosen the seal of my hudee ring, leaving the sink, plumbing, and counter in place, to relaminate the countertop. I will either remove the existing laminate or go over it with new, and then hope to re-attach the hudee ring. Has anyone done this? Removing and replacing the sink is a bigger job than I want to take on.

1. Laurey says:

Hi – I’m updating my bathroom which has a sink with a hudee ring. Have you been able to remove just the ring keeping the sink and plumbing in place? I’d like to paint or replace the ring. Thanks.

1. Linda says:

I have not done the work yet. I have been told the ring is holding the sink in place. Remove the ring, and the sink drops down. However, I also heard the sink can be reinstalled – either with the salvaged original ring (can be tricky to pull off) or a new ring from Vance.

1. Pam Kueber says:

I believe there are clips holding things in place as well. Another place to investigate: Installation instructions for the Kohler Tahoe or Delafield with metal ring.