1966-wood-paneling-examples

I‘ve been holding off for a while on posting this incredible 1966 wood paneling, thinking I could find some today-sources for this stylish material. Click the images to enlarge and see the wonderful decorative detail. Alas, nothing on the internet. Does anyone have any other ideas…sources?

1966 wall paneling
1966-wood-paneling
It’s so interesting – that this was so popular…then so unpopular. Please don’t rip yours out unless it’s truly pedestrian! When we bought our 1951 “colonial-modern embankment ranch” seven years ago, another of the selling points was its original cherry paneling in the basement. The room itself needed some work – insulation, better heating, lighting, ceiling, carpet…but there was never a doubt about the paneling. Today, it’s the favorite room of my husband and his guy friends — a classic.

Methinks it’s time for paneling like this, to make a comeback.

This post was first published Feb. 19, 2008

Categoriesother stuff
  1. Ronn Ives/FUTURES Antiques says:

Hi,
    I’ve dealt with hundreds of pieces of Heywood. Despite some valiant efforts on the parts of refinishers, I’ve yet to see a re-done piece of Heywood that matches the original finish WHEN PUT SIDE BY SIDE. I say this because it’s become my opinion that when collecting Hey-Wake, collect either prime examples that need zero work, OR, collect all you want in whatever condition, then have one great & valiant refinisher do it ALL at the SAME time with the SAME batch of finish. This way, either situation gives you matching furniture.
    Just a thought.
    Ronn Ives
    FUTURES Antiques

2. Kitschy Kimberly says:

I have pine in my dining room and grasscloth in my living room. I did paint over some heinous paneling filled with pictures of deer, quail and squirrels in my son’s room that was creeping him out.

3. Palm Springs Stephan says:

The paneling, Pam, is actually just cabinetry-quality 4×8 foot sheets of 1/4 inch birch plywood from Lowes. You just have to dig through the stack to find the best pieces that will match. The HW stain, Femme1, has worked very well. It’s not perfect, and you can spot the difference if placing new and old pieces together, but for really damaged HW furniture, it is the most affordable alternative. He sends along two pages of very precise instructions that you have to follow to the letter, but it works! Of course, to do an entire walk-in closet, it took quite a lot of the stuff. Almost broke my bank! Lastly, a message to Ronn: I know of at least two people that refinish HW furniture and do it so well that you cannot distinguish original from refinish, even when they are side by side. One guy runs an antique place on South Broadway in Denver. His prices are high, but affordable. There is also a guy in Orange, CA, a suburb of LA, who does an excellent job but charges an exorbitant price. But I agree with your theory: stick to excellent or mint condition pieces, or refinish several pieces at the same time.

4. metanoia says:

Happy belated birthday Pam!

My bedroom as a youngster was that beautiful 1950s knotty pine paneling – not too dark and not too light – it was just right.

5. Ronn Ives/FUTURES Antiques says:

Stephan,
    It’s nice to hear someone is artistic enough to have apparently solved the Heywood finish match-up problem. I’m in Virginia, so I’ve never seen either of the shops’ work you mention. Aside from INITIAL matching however, I must add that if the finishes match TODAY, the aging process will “unmatch” them over the years. It’s just one of those situations for which I see no long-term solution, except under the two scenarios I mentioned. As far as my shop goes, I only deal in perfect or near-perfect original condition (with a few fixer-uppers I have in storage for those who want to dabble in their own experiments).
    Ronn Ives
    FUTURES Antiques

6. Kitsch-Astic says:

Hmmmmm. The 1950’s home we just bought has the lovely wood panelling in the kitchen.

We were going to prime it and paint but now Im having second thoughts! Its all in perfect condition, it just makes the room really really dark.

Now I dont know what to do lol

7. amysue says:

I know I’m a bit late weighing in on this subject, but I wanted to share the paneling in our 1953 ranch. My first reaction when I walked into the room was “Ugh, the wood paneling needs to go!” I lived with it for a few days and fell in the love with the incredible texture and warmth it brings to the room. Our wood paneling has a white washed effect that highlights the texture of the grain and lightens the overall effect. It’s now my favorite wall in the house.

8. Jean says:

My husband and are buying a 1965 custom ranch that has not been touched since built, it seems. There is incredible, real oak paneling in the “summer room” that I first thought would have to go, but we are loving it more and more. We thought about lightening it with a white wash, but don’t want to lose that original look. Any thoughts?

9. sablemable says:

Hi, Jean!
    In our 1955 ranch, there’s wonderful thick pine boards on the walls and ceiling in the sun room, still with it’s original dark honey colored finish. I wouldn’t change the color for anything and I love blonde wood.