retro-stoves

A DAY LONG IN COMING: New, retro-style stoves with an authentic vintage look. Big Chill is now taking pre-orders for fall delivery of these 30″ ranges, which run on gas or propane. Eight colors. This stove has a far superior look to all previous attempts, which have been too caricatured, in my opinion. The Big Chills seems to mimic real stoves from back in the day. For example, the backsplash (or whatever you call it) is pretty similar to vintage Magic Chefs, from my recollection. Even at $4,295, I think they should do quite well — not just in the retro renovation market, but among all homeowners. Cozy comfy granny retro will continue to be hot hot hot for years to come, extending deep into the mainstream marketplace, I predict. Many thanks to reader Lisa for sending me this hot off the presses info to share with all! Big Chill website here.

1. Theresa Call says:

I have a 1950 tappan stove, has a bread warmer , 4 burners, i would like to get it resotred and converted into propane..I live in California, by contra costa area and would like to find some that can restore and convert.. I really appericate your help.. Thank you..

2. Melissa says:

I have a 1953 Tappan Deluxe 4 burner stove with a center grill. Can Not seem to get the oven to lite I am not sure how too. Just bought it. Top works Great Oven is on right side Broiler is on left I see the red push button, I’ve read the instructions on the door. It has a cord to plug in. Does the cord have to be plugged up for it to light. I have tried it plugged but still couldn’t get it lit. DOes anyone know what I can do to get it lit. Can’t afford to have a professional do it. And I know the holidays will be here soon. I f you know how to get it lit please help.

3. Roni Dee ward says:

I like the look of these retro appliances. But $5,000. dollars??? What is it about these and other similar stoves (Elmira) that makes them worth that kind of money?

4. Nebraska Nan says:

I have some unrestored vintage appliances, but repair and parts in this part of the country–not happening. I would also prefer the original restored appliance, however–Hubby is not so tolerant of the little quirks of elderly appliances….plus, the restored price tags are higher than Big Chill. I think it’s a good compromise and for some of us, it works.

5. Jeffinprov says:

I happily follow and enjoy this blog, even though my personal sense of decor might be best categorized as a cat fight between Norma Desmond and Grace Coolidge. [ed. note: Do not underestimate the former First Lady.] I stoutly refuse to be guilted-out by those who know what I paid for my restored 1924 Glenwood six-burner range. It is not only a superb and delightful piece of kitchen equipment, I find it beautiful. There is not a piece of art to be had at that price range that would lift my spirits on a day-to-day basis, not to mention being exceptionally functional. When it’s not lifting my spirits, it feeds magnificently into my dark angel’s depression that we won’t see again a culture that could produce such an object. The retro-facade product line is undoubtedly lucrative for Big Chill, but my heart lies with the Real Deal, which seems to have its own Heart.

6. Tinyrica says:

Tappan Trailer Tami

I just got on this site.

Where did you get those ceiling lights. They are really nice.

Tinyrica

7. Jan Rutherford says:

My mother has a 1950’s 19″ Tappen double wall oved in need of a total rebuild on the face controls.Have been told the parts are not longer available. Is the a Portand Oregon locaton that can do this or sugggestions for 19″ repalcements?

8. Jeanie says:

We are remodeling our country cottage kitchen and would like to know if a 1950s O’Keefe and Merritt Aristocrat range is safe for use. It is in excellent condition and we are assuming the insulation and paint are original.

9. Miriam & Bill Ward says:

I just sent an question about an Harper-Wyman gas stove from the early 60’s. It’s an Enterprise, Model #G30T. The mercury sensor in the oven is not working. I understand that this part is not available as mercury is now banned and am needing a new part to replace this. When your company does a rebuild repair service on an antique stove what part do they use. ( I’m not sure I gave you my right e-mail address on my first comment to you.) Sincerely, Miriam

10. Scout Saylors says:

Hi there! I’m obsessed with these beautiful old oven/stove combos but the one I covet more than any other is a beauty I saw online several years back. It had many burners, a middle griddle, multiple ovens and warming boxes PLUS a telescopic window down into one of the ovens so you didn’t have to open the oven and lose heat! Do you know what brand made them? Do you have some? I can’t go to my grave until I own one so your motivation is to make some people happy by my passing. Spoiler: I ain’t goin’ anywhere!
    Thanks and I hope you can help! Scout

1. pam kueber says:

Hi Scout,

I recall having seen stoves with the peek-a-boo into the ovens from the stovetop feature. I did a quick google search and found one in this story >> https://www.oldhouseonline.com/kitchens-and-baths-articles/buyers-guide-to-vintage-appliances

There could well be other manufacturers that picked up this feature. Here is our story on companies that sell refurbished stoves, I’ll bet they could tell you more >> https://retrorenovation.com/2011/11/04/13-places-to-buy-restored-vintage-stoves/

I agree — great feature. I’m always opening that oven door to peak in to see if the cookies are ready and I know I’m letting valuable heat out!