1952 time capsule kitchen…70s time capsule bathroom…and more

I spent not one — but two — days this weekend at a fabulous estate sale in Adams, Mass. I’m really busy with work right now, so don’t have a lot of time to post, but I wanted to start getting photos from the house (and my finds) online. This is a 1952 Geneva kitchen. It was the second, upstairs kitchen in the house. As far as I could tell, it was virtually unused – absolutely pristine.

1960s-butlers-pantry This is a shot from the dining room, looking through the butler’s pantry toward the downstairs kitchen. You can see Geneva’s also in the butler’s pantry. But the downstairs kitchen was renovated in the 70s, so there were melamine cabinets there…plain white, nothing eye-popping. However, look at this fabulous vinyl-tile floor. Seriously wonderful.

metallic-dining-room-wallpaper
Gold metallic-Asian inspired 70s wallpaper in the (Victorian) dining room. You know I love this paper. Beyond words.

1960s-bathroom-dressing-room
The downstairs master bathroom / dressing room was expansive — a dream bathroom. . Notice the tiled-in nooks just above the vanity top – a very nice feature. That’s a big mirror looking at the closet opposite. The sinks are avocado. The floors are a small multicolored mosaic of white, avocado and harvest gold tiles. This bathroom was incredible.

1960s-kitchen
On the walls were 4×4 harvest gold American Olean tiles, each designed to look like three smaller, longer, rectangular tiles (see image below, as well). Interestingly, I have about 5 big boxes of this very same tile that I picked up at the Re-Store last year. There were Hall-Mack Towelscopes on both ends of the vanity.  Just beyond the door on the right is the separate toilet — that’s a Danish Modern light fixture on the wall, I have some close ups coming. Oh, and to the left of the Towelscope … look up… and you can see the can lights kind of sticking out of the ceiling about an inch… satin chrome or maybe brushed aluminum finish. It was a wonderful detail. Oh yeah – wallpapered ceiling. If you have a house built after, say, 1965, I’d say you must think seriously about wallpapering your ceilings.

1960s-frigidaire
Oh — a gorgeous vintage Frigidaire in the upstairs kitchen.

It is going to take me like, five days, to get through all the photos from this house. And then I will start on WHAT I BOUGHT. I was so enthralled, I spent 3 hours at the house on Saturday, then I drove back on Sunday to go through it again. The house was an inspiration.

1. Rachelh says:

Wow! The upstairs kitchen is so amazing, from the dynamic flooring pattern, to that great rounded cabinet. It looks like something out of a 1950’s design magazine. I dearly hope that the next owners appreciate it for what it is! It would be a travesty to tear it out.

2. Virginia says:

Do the stripes on the kitchen floor actually line up with the reverse stripes in the adjacent room? It looks like it in the top picture, and if that is so this is my favorite kitchen of all time. Attention to the details slays me!

3. Christine says:

Where do you find these estate sales! I also live in Mass. and would have definitely drove the 2 hours to Adams to see this house!

4. Cindy says:

Wow, we are all agreed, that kitchen is fantastic! My first thought was that I’d splash in some wonderful color.
    I have a really silly question for Pam and others: where do you see notices of these estate sales? Are they posted in the newspaper, or do you find out via an auction site? I never know when/where to see finds like this!

5. As a Realtor, I noticed in one particular town that every house I showed had two kitchens. I just recently learned that it was common for Italian families to have a “show” kitchen and a working kitchen…kinda like the formal livingroom reserved only for guests.

6. midmodms says:

I think wallpapering ceilings were in style before 1965. I have a memory of being woken by my parent’s hysterical laughter, and creeping downstairs to see what was up. I was about 4 so this would have been 1957ish. They were trying to wall paper the ceiling of the living room and making a disaster of it. They eventually gave up, but I loved watching them laugh so hard.

7. MrsErinD says:

DREAMY kitchen!!! Sigh… The only thing I’d do is paint the walls pink and put up some barkcloth cafe curtains! ;O) The floors are the best!