10 great vintage Christmas decorating ideas and collectibles

vintage-cardboard-fireplace-for-christmasThanks to everyone who uploaded photos of their retro and vintage Christmas decorations. What a blast! Here are 10 of my favorites, but really, this was an impossible task — there was so much retro inspiration going on. Above, Kristopher’s vintage cardboard fireplace attracted a lot of comments. Gosh, I forgot I needed one of these. Kristopher G. writes:

My nephew, posed with the 1959 Evergleam tree and cardboard fireplace.

Ornaments and decoration handed down from the parents and grandparents were big favorites. Handmade by Mom? The BEST! Jeanne says:

I have to share my stocking that my mom made for me in 1957. It lost a few sequins over the years, but otherwise in good shape.

vintage santa placemats made from feltMore Made in the U.S.A. by M.O.M. Troysf writes:

Santa Placemats my mother made when I was a kid.

vintage-pixie-elf-christmas-figurineI am in love with pixie elves. I think these are my favorite. I neeeeed more! Loren ((aka Husband bungalowranch.blogspot.com) writes:

This picture just mysteriously appeared on our camera. The pixies are very into taking pictures of themselves. Merry Christmas!

vintage drummer boy from 1969More pixie elf love. Gini shares:

Drummer Boy ornament, from 1969, looks like he’s missing a little pearl drumstick end! Also a Christmas gift from my parents.

watercolor paintings of colonial williamsburg

More under the heading of “things I forgot or didn’t even know I needed: I really like the Colonial Williamsburg watercolors – further proof that “retro” is not just mid century modern, it’s early American, too. No name submitted writes:

Candleholders/candy dish – Col. Williamsburg drawings

christmas wreath made from vintage shiny brite ornamentsKatie gets props for making (I think?) a vintage shiny brite wreath using the tips that Georgia Peachez shared with us recently. Well done, Katie, who writes:

My wreath made from old Shiny Brites!

mego cher made up for christmas

Lots of silliness going on. In a good way. Chris writes:

My vintage 1977 Mego “Cher Makeup Center” styling bust all decked out for the holidays!

aluminum christmas tree and color wheelAluminum Christmas trees everywhere! This one represents them all. Jane writes:

Elvis  sleeps in the glow of the aluminum Christmas Tree.  — Elvis (aka) Jane

And our first photo submitted was one of the most heartwarming. Making the best of a situation, Meredith says:

Ladder tree – we are moving TOMORROW – no sense unpacking decos – Ladder Tree to the rescue!

Congrats on the new (old?) house, Meredith. And thanks again to everyone who participated!

1. Nina462 says:

Pam – Thanks for picking my Coolonial pictures. I’m sorry I forgot to put my name by them. I did mention all the details on the thread (artist etc). Best of all they were FREE!
    Besides Old Williamsburg – you might check out Sturbridge, CT. I came across a Sturbridge Yankee Workshop catalogue (circa 1968) with all the goodies that come in pewter or brass. I’ve actually visited there – it’s a nice little day trip.
    Thanks again —

Myself- I loved ALL the photos.

2. Mary T. says:

OMG — we had that cardboard fireplace when I was a kid. My sister and I looooved playing next to it since we didn’t have a real fireplace. So fun.

3. HollyM says:

My mother made three different felt Christmas socks – – same pattern with some of the same appliques as yours! – – for her 3 daughters. Must have been a popular D-I-Y pattern available at dimestores everywhere, like the cheap (then) Shiny Brite ornaments.

4. Jan Rader says:

Elvis looks so much like my Dodger (aka The Artful Dodger), and acts a lot like him, too! How sweet that he wants to pose a lot now!

5. Bonnie says:

Does anyone know what brand that “Jeanne” stocking is? My family has a tradition of felt applique stockings. The ones for the youngest generation are bucilla, the ones from my generation are Lee Wards, but the oldest ones (my mother’s generation) I can’t find any info on. The Jeanne one looks similar, except all the ones in our family have fake fur at the top. Anyone have any clues?

thanks!

6. pam kueber says:

I don’t know the answer to this one, Bonnie, but I have lots of searches on ebay around these kinds of items and will keep my eyes out.