1962 pink moen sink

Albas posted this strange pink 1962 sink for sale on the Forum. A one eyed one horned giant purple people eater. Actually, there seem to be THREE of these sinks for sale. But what are they? We have never seen these wodditties before.

So I write John, vintage plumbing expert at deabath.com (an advertiser xoxo). He writes:

Hi Pam,

The valve looks to be a Moen.  I ran across one of these sinks in a salvage yard a couple years ago, no valve.  We just figured it was one of those 60’s “what were they thinking” sort of things…. Think of all the extra plumbing work!

John

1. Jana says:

Love those wodditties! This one is a doozy 🙂 If I had a hubby who was a plumber, I would scoop it up in a heartbeat!

2. Lynne says:

Can you imagine how often you would have to clean that mirror, and the crack where the mirror meets the counter?? It’s mighty cool, but no thanks!

3. TappanTrailerTami says:

Personally, I don’t think this is all the odd…as compared to the recent last few years of having your bowl mounted on top of the counter like a vessel in all sorts of configurations…..just could never get into that fad (thankfully!).

I kinda like the big disk handle mounted to the mirror!

4. cynthia says:

I don’t mean to be crude, but the thing reminds me of a urinal, for some reason. no wonder they didn’t become popular.

5. Jessica says:

I don’t know about that sink…it just looks a little wrong to me…like a misshapen body part…or something.

However, this and your Save the Pink Bathrooms site reminded me of my stay 10 years ago at the Budget Host Inn in Colby, KS. The bathroom was pink and green, complete with pink sink, toilet and tub! I was delighted; it felt like staying at an old aunt’s house or something. The remote to the TV also had a total of 4 (unlabeled) buttons, and on the back said “made in West Berlin”. It was a total time capsule motel room. I wonder if it’s changed or if they’ve updated by now?

6. Retro Junkie says:

My dear husband is a plumber. While I thought this was unique, he said things like this could make him lots of money, and don’t get any ideas about getting one.

7. Kae says:

Since this post is about something you haven’t seen before, I thought I’d ask if you had ever seen a tub like ours. Our new house was built in 1969 and has an all tiled, sunken bath “pit”. It’s about 4 feet deep with tiled steps leading into it. We can’t find info on anything like it anywhere.

8. Natalie says:

Oh, I love this! How unique and chic – modern and vintage. Awesome. It deserved to be ‘worked around’ as you update it’s surroundings. I am always a little sad when I see people ‘updating’ mid-century bathrooms with those amazing colorful tiles or built in heaters.

9. SHAWN CURTIS says:

My aunt had one of these in her bathroom early 60’s ranch .I always thought it was soooooo cool .Never thought I’d see another one after her mid 80’s remodel .