vintage stoveStove: From Dream Stoves

I have been blogging about midcentury home design since 2006, but my very first piece of published writing about home design in 1995 — an article about vintage stoves for the now-defunct Ann Arbor News. Vintage stoves were first becoming popular around then. I have been a fan ever since and today, have a circa-1959 GE Pushbutton electric in my kitchen. When we did a story a while ago about where to get your vintage appliances fixed, a number of readers had suggestions and experiences to share about vintage stove restoration experts. Karl T. also suggested suppliers. I did some additional research and came up with an expanded list — and readers continue to more in their comments, below, be sure to read them — and we now have 12 13 14 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  28 places to get your vintage stove restored… to buy a restored vintage stove… and to find parts and service for vintage stoves:

Note, before you buy, understand what you are paying for — this includes consulting with a properly licensed professional to assess the stove for environmental and safety issues. Be Safe / Renovate Safe — for more info see our Be Safe/Renovate Safe page

Restored vintage stoves — West and Southwest

Restored vintage stoves — Midwest

Vintage stove restoration — Southeast

Vintage stove restoration — East Coast

Note: Thanks so many readers for the contributions to build this list — keep ’em coming. Also, thanks to Todd at chambers.net for a number of these leads. This seems to be the go-to place for Chambers’ info!

Please know: I do not have personal experience with these resources, so I am not endorsing them…. Please make sure that you do your own research to verify that you are working with safe, experienced, properly licensed professionals with a proven reputation. And, as Lara Jane commented in the original story:

To follow up on Pam’s post, I know a lot of people on other home improvement sites were scammed by a guy restoring vintage stoves (some they’d sent to him, some were advertised on his site). Be careful who you give your money to, and if possible, use a credit card with buyer protection!

Yes, as with any purchase of this magnitude — please do due diligence regarding the companies you are engaging with.

Other stories of interest:

1. rochelle says:

Hi everyone,

I am looking for grates for my 1929/30 Magic Chef. One of the grates for the 6 burner broke. Does anyone know where i might find a great set of three or just one to replace the broken one. i thank you for watching out for my crates.

I’ll be so grateful….Rochelle

2. pam kueber says:

Rochelle, also see our story on where to find help with parts. It’s in Kitchen Help / Appliances category, at the top

3. Monica furlo says:

Looking for a magic chef gas stove 1920 1930. Willing to go just about anywhere for the right stove in proper working order.

4. Michelle says:

Saw this thread too late and missed the auction! Any chance someone here picked up the parts? I’m trying to track down a TS8 Grayson Safety valve that sits up under the clock/light for my Wedgewood.

5. pam kueber says:

Monica, no buying/selling here on the blog or it becomes chaos. I will delete this thread shortly.

Meanwhile: Refer to vendors listed in this story — contact them directly.

6. Patricia says:

Hi. I have a retro freezer that needs restoration. It works perfectly but the body is rusted and the chrome handle is loose & rusty. Is there any place in Phoenix, Arizona that restores vintage fridges/freezers? Thank you.

7. pam kueber says:

Patricia, please refer to our list and also go through the comments…. they contain all the resources we know of.

8. Lynne says:

I am trying to find a user’s manual for a gas stove from the 1930’s. The stove I have is a 1932 Sear’s stove, but I think any manual of that era would be of assistance. Any idea where I can find one??

9. M. says:

Inn the in 1963 we bought new home..it had a really great gas cook range. It had 2 ovens a broler a drawer for storage. It had a”burner with a brain. I loved it. Would like to have another.

10. Betsy says:

Hi there,
    I have a Western Holly wall oven, yellow, in perfect working order.
    It is my neighbors’ who have been the only owners. I am tryng to sell it for them, but I can’t find the value. None of the places listed above have prices listed on their sites. I called Anitque Stove Heaven on one of theirs. It was the double version of mine for $5200. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Betsy

11. Marcia says:

I need to replace my 1958 (approx) stainless Hot Point wall oven. It is in a brick wall in my kitchen. The opening is 22″ wide by 27″ high. I am trying to find a replacement without having to have a brick mason in. I have replaced elements several times but even that is now not helping – if I want to actually use it, I have to “pre heat” for a couple of hours to get it hot enough to cook. Any idea where I can find a replacement of that size?