vintage stoveStove: From Dream Stoves

I have been blogging about midcentury home design since 2006, but my very first piece of published writing about home design in 1995 — an article about vintage stoves for the now-defunct Ann Arbor News. Vintage stoves were first becoming popular around then. I have been a fan ever since and today, have a circa-1959 GE Pushbutton electric in my kitchen. When we did a story a while ago about where to get your vintage appliances fixed, a number of readers had suggestions and experiences to share about vintage stove restoration experts. Karl T. also suggested suppliers. I did some additional research and came up with an expanded list — and readers continue to more in their comments, below, be sure to read them — and we now have 12 13 14 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  28 places to get your vintage stove restored… to buy a restored vintage stove… and to find parts and service for vintage stoves:

Note, before you buy, understand what you are paying for — this includes consulting with a properly licensed professional to assess the stove for environmental and safety issues. Be Safe / Renovate Safe — for more info see our Be Safe/Renovate Safe page

Restored vintage stoves — West and Southwest

Restored vintage stoves — Midwest

Vintage stove restoration — Southeast

Vintage stove restoration — East Coast

Note: Thanks so many readers for the contributions to build this list — keep ’em coming. Also, thanks to Todd at chambers.net for a number of these leads. This seems to be the go-to place for Chambers’ info!

Please know: I do not have personal experience with these resources, so I am not endorsing them…. Please make sure that you do your own research to verify that you are working with safe, experienced, properly licensed professionals with a proven reputation. And, as Lara Jane commented in the original story:

To follow up on Pam’s post, I know a lot of people on other home improvement sites were scammed by a guy restoring vintage stoves (some they’d sent to him, some were advertised on his site). Be careful who you give your money to, and if possible, use a credit card with buyer protection!

Yes, as with any purchase of this magnitude — please do due diligence regarding the companies you are engaging with.

Other stories of interest:

1. Douglas Brewer says:

I’ve acquired a Philco electric stove from I believe the 1950,s. Like to know what it’s worth? It’s in excellent condition.

2. Rita Palma says:

I am starting my research on restored vintage stoves and would like to know from you all the details on the pros and cons? I am totally renovating a home and need a great stove. I had a health food store for 5 years, cooked on a Garland and loved it. I was originally moving in that direction and looking into Bluestar and Wolf. We are building an environmentally friendly home and the idea of vintage caught my eye and fits. Thanks!

1. pam kueber says:

Hi Rita, I am not an expert on the pros and cons. Remember that old products may contain hazards and/or not be up to current building codes (for example in my state, Mass., there are strict requirements regarding connecting gas appliances, I am not sure re: electric) — get with pros to know what you are dealing with. For more info see our Be Safe/Renovate Safe page. https://retrorenovation.com/renovate-safe/

3. Becky says:

I have a great 1950(+/_) O’Keefe and Merritt gas stove that is in really good shape. I’ve been using it for 20 years and I love it. However, I need some work on the oven. I’m near Colorado Springs and Denver. Does anyone know of someone who works on vintage stoves in this area? I’m 67 and I could haul it somewhere, but obviously would rather have it repaired in place.

4. tye says:

Anything near the DC area? Just bought a 51 bungalow with all the original kitchen appliances. Wife wants to restore everything.

Thanks!

5. ML says:

Searching for someone in my area to inspect a Chamber’s Stove. Andrew’s Range Service in Pittsburgh seems to be out of business. I’ve messaged Andy’s Antique Refrigerators to see if he has any suggestions or contacts in his network. Anyone else aware of someone in the Pittsburgh, PA/Wheeling, WV general area?

6. Drae says:

Macy’s Classic Stove Works in Houston, TX is an excellent vintage range restoration company. Specializing in restoration, repair, and sales.

7. Trish says:

I live in charlotte nc. I have a 1954 Westinghouse electric stove that needs some work. do you know of anyone in this area I could contact