V

Video: My affordable beige tile bathroom. Yes. Beige.

So I had the bathroom clean… I put on makeup… The good camera was all set up on the big tripod… and DH was on the scene to help me shoot this video all about my bathroom renovation — completed with affordable beige ceramic tile from Home Depot. Then, the camera froze up, and we couldn’t get it back on. So I grabbed my little Canon that also shoots video — and, well, the show must go on.

Which is to say: This isn’t my greatest video, but, if I didn’t do it then, I was never gonna do it.

In this first of three segments — all about the renovation of my small, 1951 master bathroom — I talk about why I chose beige 4″x4″ field tiles, with white bullnose.

Beige ceramic 4″ x 4″ tile:

• A totally accessible color if tile — available immediately and inexpensively from Home Depot, Lowes and other big box stores…
  • An everlasting gobstopper timeless tile color — as is light grey, but I’ve never seen that color stocked on the shelf at Home Depot…
  • And it’s super easy to punch up with color via wallpaper or a patterned shower curtain and then, with towels.

Yes, I installed a beige bathroom.

Oh, and this is embarrassing: I swear I cleaned the bathroom. But, the yellow cast of light is making the floor grout look pukier than it really appears in real life. And, crikey, I need to figure out how to really clean the non-skid surface of the Kohler tub, which turned that kind of bottom-of-your-feet color within a month of installation and which I’ve never been able to get white again. Anyone? Bueller?

Two more Beige Bathroom videos to come:

• My Beige Bathroom: Features I Like
  • My Beige Bathroom: Things I’d Do Differently

Want to see my other bathroom design videos — including the one that went viral, Things I’d Do Differently — click here.

1. karyn o'connor says:

love the beige bathroom !!

i have that ever-classic pink and have wondered what i would do if i ever tired of it. now i know

any recommendations for vintage wallpaper sources?

2. Larry says:

Great bathroom. I’m planning on redoing mine to reclaim a window (after the monstrosity of a porch project is done, remember the pile of bricks?) and planned on using beige tile. Here’s my dilemma. I want to use the tile on the floor as you did but my household is only men. My thoughts are: sleepy man + middle of the night trip to bathroom + tile on the floor around the base of the toilet + porous grout = well you get the idea how that turns out over time. I really want tile but keep leaning toward sheet vinyl. Any thoughts?

1. I think your concerns are well-founded,though I have no info on the cleanability of various grouts. Maybe use marmoleum, instead of sheet vinyl. It’s quieter underfoot and doesn’t off-gas like vinyl as it ages. Plus lit ooks more retro-appropriate. We used it in a master bath with a thin bead of clear sealer where it hits the toilet and the shower and it looks great after 3 years.

3. Brini says:

You look beautiful Pam!

I suggest vinegar in the tub. Line the bottom with hot water, pour in half a bottle of vinegar, let it sit over night and it should clean up easily the next morning. It’s also good for fiberglass – doesn’t mar the surface.

4. Katie says:

When you repaper, you might consider using vinyl wallpaper. My mom put some in when she spruced up her PINK bathroom, and she’s been very happy with it. Its quite easy to clean, and it resists moisture, so its a good choice for bathrooms.

1. pam kueber says:

I have heard that vinyl wallpaper is not good for bathrooms cuz it traps moisture behind it potentially causing mold. HOWEVER, i have not officially verified this anecdote

1. Katie says:

I hadn’t heard this, so I looked into it, and according to the Dow chemical website, apparently the moisture trapping thing is only a problem if its on a exterior wall, because then the moist air coming into the house from the outside, gets trapped between the wall and the paper. So it might or might not be a problem, depending on the layout of the bathroom. This might be something where it would be a good idea to consult a pro 🙂

2. Paula Webb says:

I had not heard that either. My neighbor is a bathroom designer and recommends it, especially for bathrooms used frequently by men.

5. Jan says:

Pam!!!!!! Not a thing wrong with beige as like you said, you can punch it up with color. I think your bathroom looks fantastic! LOL @ the tub! I have horrible newer ceramic tiles in my kitchen (no, I didn’t-the 2nd owner did) that look dirty all of the time, so I know how you suffer.

6. Andi says:

I don’t have any tub-cleaning suggestions (I could use some of those hints myself) but I love the video—from the opening music, your fabulous polka-dot dress (perfect combo of retro, classic and glam, and looks amazing on you!), and of course the bathroom itself. Who knew beige could look so great? So fresh & clean. I have trouble with neutrals in that I almost never want to use them, anywhere. This is a great demo of why I should reconsider that stance!

The wallpaper—oh, I love it! I’d probably try to repair that and get a few more years out of it, but you no doubt have a warehouse of vintage papers to replace it with, and why not?

Off to a great start, can’t wait for the follow-up videos!

7. Lissie says:

Great post and makes me like my beige guest bath a little more. Though the shower tile isn’t original, I am lucky the previous owners picked 4′ x 4′ ceramic tile that is appropriate. I’m dying to do wallpaper in both of my bathrooms but neither has a fan/exhaust (though both have working Thermador heaters) and I am worried the wallpaper will not last.

8. Nancy says:

I’ve used whitening toothpaste to remove stains from Corelle and once, ages ago, I used the regular type to clean my bathroom sink. If nothing else works, it might be worth a try. (Mind you, the mint fumes are *majorly* overpowering in large doses.)

9. natalie says:

yay! finally another teeny tiny master bath like mine. i think yours is still bigger though. what do you do about storage of all the bath/beauty products? we installed a shelf over the toilet (made out of an old drawer and painted) but it looks kinda…messy.

also, my hall bath is beige (original) but it’s got speckles and the bullnose is brown so not quite as versatile 🙁

1. pam kueber says:

For storage, we have a two narrow linen closets in the hall. Stuff goes in there. I keep my makeup in drawers in the bedroom. So it’s really all quite manageable.