modern maid toastermodern maid toasterHere’s a fantastic idea — a recessed toaster. This Modern Maid built-in toaster toasts four slices of bread… it’s meant to be hard-wired in between stud walls… I’m not sure if it’s to code today, but it sure is sweet. And — it’s for sale on craiglist near San Diego right now.

modern-maid-toaster-label
Thanks to reader Linda for spotting this beauty. And thanks to the craigslist sellers for giving us permission to archive this shiny relic. The listing says:

This is a one-of-a-kind, vintage built-in chrome 4-slot toaster by Modern Maid (McGraw Edison, then Toastmaster now Salton in case you ever need parts). It is meant to be hardwired of 14-guage (14-2) wire when installing. Cut out dimensions 14 1/2 x 8 inches. Worked fine when we removed it for a kitchen re-model. Chrome exterior is in really good shape (nice and shiny like that 50’s chrome look). This item is a must-have for anyone looking for a true retro look to their kitchen!

Indeed, recessed appliances were “a thing” back in the day. Here are some others that we have show in the past:

1. Linda says:

I have the modern maid recessed vintage toaster. Love it! But the handle broke. Where can I find a replacement handle?

2. Jmom says:

Stayed with a friend who lives in a very old home in St Louis. She had one but I didn’t know to leave the drawer open during use. Oops.

3. Denise Ott says:

I am looking to replace or get parts for my Modern Maid in Wall 4 slice toaster. Same as one in picture at the top. If you can help me please I would appreciate it.

Denise Ott

4. Kyle says:

This is cool, it reminds me of a built in toaster we had once when I was a kid. Ours was a little different. It was there when we moved in, it was mounted up under the upper cabinets and tilted forward when it opened. I never knew much about it though, it was old, at least as as old as the 70s and sadly it was broken. It WOULD technically toast bread but it only had one setting… black.

5. Becca says:

We have one in the house we just bought, so we were curious about it. Doubt it will make it during renovations so we will probably eBay it.

6. Donna Frese says:

I am looking for an Edison in wall toaster as the one I have just quit working. The one I have does plug into an outlet inside the box where the toaster pushes back into. This was installed when we built our house in 1976. We live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and wonder if anyone might know where this might be repaired or where I can purchase a new one. Thanks so much for your help.

7. Jenn says:

We had this Modern Maid toaster in my childhood home. It recently went back on the market so I was looking at the interior pictures and it turns out it’s still installed!