H

Hannah uses vintage 1970s mirror tiles to add dimension to her entry way

Mirror-Tile-WallIt is very satisfying to see vintage goodies that we feature find a welcome spot in appreciative readers’ homes. So we were happy to hear from Hannah, who purchased three NOS boxes of decorative 1970s mirror tiles from among a large stash that Pam spotted on etsy last year. Hannah used them to cover a dividing wall in her entry way — with groovalicious results.

mirrored-wall-tile-retroHannah writes:

I bought one box when the article first hit Retro Renovation. I wasn’t sure how or where we were going to use them, we tossed around a lot of options, but nothing that 12 tiles would really work for. I’ve kept the seller’s item on my watch list all this time as she had more available. I think it was late September 2013 when I bought my second box, then 3 weeks later my third. We’d done the measurements and decided the wall for the tiles would be the dividing wall between the living room entry and the kitchen.

Not sure if you can tell from this picture, but our baseboards are quite high at 7″. We’re going to finish off the top with something similar in style in an attempt to “frame” the mirrors.

I am absolutely in LOVE with the outcome of this wall!  I look at it every day in amazement at the dimension it adds to our small living room. Thanks, Pam, for always giving us a heads up of what’s out there for us Retro fans to finish off our dream homes/rooms.  And thank you also, for caring about Mid-Century “Modest”… which exemplifies my little 825 s.f. 1961 Ranch.

mirror tileHannah, you’ve really outdone yourself. That partial wall between your entry and kitchen was a great place for these mirrored tiles to land. You’re right — this feature adds interest, texture and dimension to your space. Also of note, the way the diamond pattern in the tiles mirrors the windows on your entry door. Repetition is one of the key factors of thoughtful design. Bravo on a job well done — and thanks so much for sharing your results with all of us.

Readers, there are still quite a few New Old Stock mirror tiles left in etsy seller cosasrara’s stash — there appear to be multiples of many of the designs, so you can create a mirror wall of your very own.

1. hannah says:

Hi Lisa – I remember that FB conversation and how afraid I was to make a decision. 🙂

The product that we ended up using is Lexel. It’s a clear substance and the tube says “A superior alternative to Silicone”.

Yup, Sr. Citizens here. I’m going to be 60 next May (so I’m 59 1/2 lol) and Mr. Wonderful is 63. But, we’re aging hippies so are young at heart.

Thank you for the kind words about my age and the wall!!

2. Jay says:

Oh yes! The thrill of the hunt! Great Buy!!! If something like that turned up in my neck of the woods – $$$$$.

3. Anne-Marie Cory says:

This is beautiful. The only mirrored walls I have ever really seen were in trailer homes in rural Montana in the 70’s. Thus, I had NO idea they could be so artsy, so beautiful and elegant. I am just in awe of your space.. Really, this is nice work. Thanks for sharing and changing my mind about mirrored walls.

4. hannah says:

I was blown away. Two young men with a booth had it marked at $20, all Mr. Wonderful did was ask, “You take $15 for that?” And they gladly did! I am NOT a haggler, and $20 was plenty reasonable to me! lol

A friend from HS that I hadn’t seen for 30 years came to visit this summer from Los Angeles. He saw my Heywood-Wakefield bedroom suite (head/foot-board, two night stands, two dressers – tall and low, and mirror) and said “That would be 6K in Los Angeles – I got the entire suite for $600 from the original owner (craigslist). 😀

There’s not a whole lot of resources for MCM here in southern Maine – but usually when you find it it’s at a reasonable price. There’s one ‘flea’ market that knows what they have and charge accordingly. I don’t typically shop there. 😉

5. hannah says:

Thank you for your comments Pat.

Too sad, but of course it’s the first thing they tore out….if you watch those real estate shows on cable that’s all they want to do to vintage decor and structural elements.

Last night after reading your comment I pulled up the MLS pictures and would click on them, then come back here to the pics – back and forth, finding myself amazed at what’s been accomplished too! Funny how you forget a little bit how it all started, and only see the flaws of what you still need to work on. Thank you for giving me some perspective. 🙂

6. hannah says:

Hi Alicia –

Alicia!!! You’re the SELLER of these fab tiles, right???? The adhesive used is Lexel. It’s a clear substance and the tube says “A superior alternative to Silicone”. Purchased at Tru-Value Hardware (sure you can get it at the big box stores too). So far, so good!

Glad you approve, and thank you for a terrific item at a great price.

7. hannah says:

Hi Dan –

Star Trek you say, heh? I grew up with the original and I suspect that’s the era you mean?

I’ve seen framed mirrors or serving trays with the gold vein mirror – love them and wouldn’t mind having a few myself. 🙂

8. hannah says:

Scott, your comment is most welcome. Sometimes I look at our ‘space’ and only see what I need / want to change about it or upgrade to more retro that I still have to wait on, for XYZ reason.

What 80’s band was it that had a song about ‘moving in stereo’? The Cars? That’s what your comment made me think of. 🙂

9. Alicia says:

Yes, I am the mirror tile lady, lol. I will be recommending Lexel for the tiles since the double tape tabs in the box are so old…better be safe.

Thank you very much, Hannah!

10. hannah says:

Anne-Marie – hello!

I have never thought of any home I’ve ever lived in (as an adult having moved away from the parents home) as ‘elegant’. That just makes me smile. When I look around here I see “Hippie slammed up against MCM that somehow works.” 😀

Happy to make you a mirrored tile convert. Are you now searching for a purchase and have a wall in mind???

11. Anna says:

I love your whole kitchen, it looks very inviting. My parents have a speckled mirror tile wall in the entryway of their 1970s house and this reminds me of that, very elegant yet cozy at the same time.

12. Chutti says:

Hannah-

I’m pleased to see how great your house is looking! I remember when it was a twinkle in yr eye, and all the work that went into just getting in there. Glad you are enjoying the fun (and maybe not as fun) parts of decorating your space.

Yes, the mirror tiles are perfect. You always have a great way with getting everything to feel authentic. Some folks MCM homes feel a bit like a museum or a showroom. Yours looks inviting and loved.
    Good work!

13. hannah says:

HI Chutti!!! (((BIG HUGS)))

I was wondering if you were still around, glad to see that you are. Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments! It’s nice that you remember what a trial it was just to get into the place. I almost gave up on it after 6 months of red tape, but hung in there and I’m SO glad I did.

My MCM style leans WAY more towards ‘kitsch’ / funky, and is anything but sterile. Though I’ve thought I could make some cash when I retire and open it up for tours calling it “Life in the 1960’s. 😉

How’s your house coming along? Say hi to your Mr. Wonderful for me!

14. hannah says:

Anna, thank you so much! It is a cozy place. I do wish we had a couple extra 100 sf to play with, but 825 sf is good enough for two old aging farts. I mean really, how much space to I want to keep clean when I’m 90??? 😉

15. Chutti says:

Doesnt it just feel like you were always there, now? Loooks like it….

Hubs is doing great…our house is slowly getting back to 1920. He just restored my 30’s mahogany sofa….just waiting to get the down cushions from the custom place. He thought it silly to spend as much on cushions as an ikea couch, but since I spent $40 on the sofa 20 yrs ago and it will outlast us all, it’s still a bargain.

Focus lately is on less fun stuff….cracks in stucco. Lots of em. Will have to focus on that before phase two of kitchen restore…..traditional mexican tile and my salvaged farm house sink. Since you’re fom CA, you’ll know what I mean when I say I want it to look like a See’s candy kitchen. All ‘modern’ and efficient, but circa 1926.

fun to see you all settled in!