A

Azrock Cortina Autumn Haze — discontinued — but fear not, there are proxies

the 1950s style vinyl tile in my kitchen - azrock cortina autumn hazeAlas, after some 40 years on the market (at least), Azrock has discontinued my favorite retro floor — Azrock Cortina Autumn Haze. That’s the floor in my kitchen, above. And based on reading about it here, many readers have put it in their homes, too. I love this floor because of it’s “jaspe” design — the streakies and slubbies. But do not fret too much, those of you looking for a similar design. Tarkett, maker of Azrock, two years ago introduced 15 similar designs in their Azrock TexTile line.

textileThere are two creamy beige colorways that look to be a good substitute for Autumn Haze, and 13 other colors ways.

Props to Shannan for letting us know that really truly you could no longer get Azrock Cortina Autumn Haze. I didn’t believe her — readers have been told so many times by their local dealers that this was not available. Shannan’s dealer was so adamant, though, that I checked with the company yet again. And yup, this time is really seems like it’s discontinued. The story seems to be: Azrock Cortina Autumn Haze was “officially” discontinued two years ago. At that time, I was told by the company, ‘don’t worry though — it’s been such a popular floor historically that we will still make it for replacement tile purposes.’ But, even that seems to have ended. If you want it, please, still ask and see if they have it. Otherwise, like I said — go to TexTile.

In addition, check these out:

See all our Kitchen / Flooring research here.

CategoriesFlooring
  1. midmichigan says:

That’s such a classic MCM color / pattern that was super popular; it’s too bad they’ve discontinued it. Again, you do yeoman’s work digging out the options, Pam.

2. Robin, NV says:

Oh Pam you must be so sad! A word of advice for anyone who wants discontinued flooring (or anything really), call the company directly and ask if they have any remnants. I was heartbroken to find that Marmoleum’s Pool Party was discontinued but called the company to ask about remnants. As it turns out, they had a piece that was almost exactly what I needed for my kitchen remodel. The folks at Marmoleum were very friendly and helpful and they gave me an amazing deal (no charge for shipping!).

1. pam kueber says:

Anther great option! We need to do a follow up story: Terrazzo-look vinyl tiles

Armstrong had sheet for a while, now discontinued, ALAS, it was great looking

1. Judy H. says:

I had no idea that the Daltile Terrazzo had been discontinued! I just showed it to my husband last night and we agreed it would be a great choice for the kitchen we have in our downstairs apartment!

1. pam kueber says:

Thanks, Tom — great resource! We’ll talk to the company and see if they are keen on selling directly to residential customers!

3. Judy H. says:

BTW, why in the world would a tile like the Azrock Cortina Autumn Haze be discontinued?! It is an iconic 1950’s tile and so VERY versatile. Judging from the comments I’ve read here, it would seem that it was one of its TOP sellers. Although, this is not the first time I’ve enountered a very popular product that has been discontinued. Makes one wonder who’s minding the sales!

4. Andi says:

What a timely post for me, nearly at the end of agonizing over flooring for our 1952 turquoise kitchen. For a variety of reasons (chief among them aging dogs), we’ve opted for high-quality sheet vinyl, which will work better for us all around, although I LOVE the VCT tiles and would prefer those, visually.

What I THINK we are about to get (one final obsessive hours-long hunt online still in my near future), is a commercial quality sheet vinyl by IVC. I’ve had all the samples on site in my kitchen, and really liked it.

It has a “terrazzo” sort of look, and I was SO happy to see in this post that others may think it has a retro flair, at least a little. Here is the link:

For our kitchen, the one called “@WORK MODUS 509” works best, but the other color ways were all nice.

I discovered that Armstrong and Tarkett both have an assortment of to-die-for retro-flavored sheet vinyl patterns—that are only available in Europe! Or Australia! Several times I shrieked, “This is IT!” only to realize I should not even have been on the European version of the company website.

As always, RetroRenovation is right on time…supporting all of us as we agonize our way to making a decision—-many decisions!

1. pam kueber says:

Wow, I really like that stuff, Andi! Thanks for the link. I also LOVE that this stuff is 13’2″ wide – I be most Retro Renovators could do their kitchens without any seams. Great find!

1. pam kueber says:

Kate, best to contact the manufacturer of your floor and see what products they recommend.

See this story — https://retrorenovation.com/2008/11/25/do-i-need-to-polish-my-newly-installed-vinyl-vct-tiles/

I’ve also had them done professionally a couple of times, I am not sure what they used. I found my pro by asking my dentist who did the floors in his office. It was a small operation, and they were happy to come to my house and do my floors (strip, polish, buff, all with high-end professional equipment.) I think that this shot was taken after the professional job, although I am not absolutely sure.

5. Maegan says:

I used Congoleum’s CX white/light pebble in my kitchen and I’m really happy with it. While the background color is lighter than the Autumn Haze, the color still feels warm and complements my mahogany cabinets. Plus, my floor hides a lot of dirt!

6. Neil says:

When I stopped and had a good look at the picture of this flooring, I was surprised to be flooded with a feeling of deep despair, from my childhood….a specific feeling/visual I’d mercifully forgotten about all these decades!

And I immediately recognized this pattern and color as the visual backdrop, like an old TV screen phzzing with snow-static, of a year-long, early-60’s, grade-school-hell experience; one where I spent most of every weekday with my eyes dropped to the floor – which also swam with the swirling trails of the janitor’s buffer – just trying to endure the misery.
    But endure I did.

Needless to say, I likely wouldn’t be putting this on my floor even if they made it another 50 years.

1. pam kueber says:

Golly, it’s interesting how visual cues from our past can bring back memories. I quite liked school. This floor makes me super happy!