M

Maile’s vintage Magic Chef stove “Miss Lucille” takes her rightful place in the kitchen

vintage kitchen stoveRemember how Maile transformed her dark 70s kitchen into a bright, sunny 1940s delight? When we first featured this story, the kitchen was nearly complete, save the final pièce de résistance — her waiting-to-be-restored-and-converted-to-propane 1948 Magic Chef Stove. We finally received word that the stove — which Maile has affectionately named “Miss Lucille” — has taken its rightful place in her sunny vintage kitchen.

vintage kitchen stove Maile writes:

Miss Lucille….my 1948 Magic Chef Stove is installed in my kitchen. I can’t tell you how much fun it is to cook with gas again!  It’s like all the pieces came together for this. She was named Miss Lucille after my dear aunt who was an exceptional, contest winning, published, ‘oh yeah, James Beard called me for a recipe’ kinda cook.

I send a big, huge, humongus ‘thank you’ to Rex at Homestead Vintage Stove Company, dealers in antique stoves. He did a wonderful job retrofitting her from natural gas to propane, and she cooks like a dream.

vintage-kitchen
Maile’s old stove, a placeholder for Miss Lucille.

vintage kitchen stoveMaile, the stove looks fantastic in your kitchen. I’m sure it was worth the long wait to be able to cook with gas on “Miss Lucille” every day!

More vintage stoves:

1. Christy says:

My grandmother and then my mom had an identical stove when I was a kid. It was so old toward the end of it’s life (1970s) we had to prop a chair against the oven door when we were using it. But it still baked the best cookies and pizza of any stove I’ve used since. It’s comforting to know there is at least one that still exists. Brava!

2. Maile says:

No, unfortunately the cost of a retro fridge isn’t in the budget. I wish you could just buy vintage door facades to put on current models!

3. Maile says:

Yes, this was such a hard model to track down! I spent hours going through old photos and adds trying to date this stove. I finally found a very grainy pic of an old Magic Chef brochure showing this model dated 1948. I’m still trying to figure out what the two side cabinets are for besides storage.

4. Maile says:

Christie!!!! Maybe you can tell me what the metal bar is for in the right cabinet. I can’t figure it out. Hang towels? Doesn’t seem safe. Also, if you know of anyone who would have another oven rack for this stove, I’d love to hear from you. The measurement is 16×17.
    thanks!

5. Kersten says:

Maile, after reading the original story, I ordered samples of both the counter color and flooring! I’m trying to begin ideas for our 1955 knotty pine kitchen, and I think that floor would be lovely with the wood. How are you liking the floor? The sample makes the color seem dark, but your photos sure look nice and light and bright and optimistic! Super great job! I’m going to visit your pinterest board next.

6. rosemary says:

hi, I am interested in your counter edging. we are re doing an old camper and want edging like that for the cabinetry.

7. pam kueber says:

Rosemary, see the original story — click on the hotlink in bright blue in the first sentence of this story.

The original story cites resources — although Maile says she is not sure where her contractor got her edging.

We have lots of sources for metal edging — see our our Kitchen Help / Countertops category here — https://retrorenovation.com/category/kitchen/countertops/ — or, use the Search box, it works really really well.

8. Maile says:

I love the floor, and it’s so easy to clean. Just make sure you have an installer that is familiar with this commercial grade flooring. You’re going to love it!

9. Nancy diedricksen says:

I have this exact same stove…..salvaged from the Otter Creek fire dept. on mount desert island in Maine……it needs work and I can’t find the model number or parts…..help!

10. Maile says:

Hi Nancy, I have spent hours and hours on line searching for pix/info on this stove, but with no little luck. I’ve seen a couple for sale in the midwest, but without any good info. I do have on my Pinterest board a hard to read pix of a 1948 brochure from Magic Chef showing this model. I have yet to figure out what to use the side cabinets for other than storage. My oven only had one rack in it, so I’d dearly love to find another! You’re going to love cooking on your stove, and the oven heats up so quickly.