W

Whirlpool “White Ice” Appliances — another nice choice for a vintage or midcentury style kitchen

whirlpool white ice appliancesDo you need new appliances in your vintage-style kitchen? Thanks to a tip from reader Donna, we discovered the Whirlpool Ice line of applianceswhich look like they would fit nicely into a retro-style kitchen. While they are not overtly vintage-looking appliances, their sleek, clean look could mesh well with a vintage vibe.

whirlpool white ice appliancesDonna writes:

For nice white appliances – checkout the new line from Whirlpool called White Ice. I am restoring a 1940s cottage and really wanted one of those lovely vintage gas ranges but they were too costly for us. After doing a TON of research I chose The White Ice line. They have a very clean white finish, and will fit into the tiny kitchen we have. They harmonize beautifully with the vintage inspired cabinetry and features of the home.

whirlpool white ice appliances

Whirlpool also makes a standard white, the same color. Whirlpool said that White Ice is differentiated from the standard white color by its “silver accents, elegant lines and sleek handles.”

whirlpool white ice appliances

Above: For retro-aesthetics, Pam says she likes it when there is no ice machine in the door. This can be a hard feature (or: “absence of a feature”) to find!
whirlpool white ice appliances whirlpool white ice applianceswhirlpool white ice appliances

whirlpool white ice appliances
whirlpool white ice appliances
whirlpool white ice appliances whirlpool white ice appliances

Another nice-looking appliance line to check out if you are in the market for new appliances for your vintage or midcentury kitchen. Thanks, Donna, for this tip!

Link love:

1. Caitlin says:

I chose the white ice wall oven in my nod-to-mid-mod remodel a few years ago. It was very difficult to find a white wall oven and the silver accents could tie in the stainless cook top. I am really pleased with both the look and function. Nice to see a write up on this line.

1. Caitlin says:

It is also self cleaning, but as the writer noted above, I too have heard this is not good, so have only cleaned it the old fashioned way.

2. Sarah says:

We put a Whirlpool White Ice stove in the middle of our restored shiny white 1952 Youngstown cabinets (with original black Cusheen countertop), and it looks great. We had tried a GE Artistry stove with analog clock (adorable!) but it was too blue-white and looked wrong, even though I wanted it to work.

3. Scott says:

Maybe I’m being dense, but the white ice is white metallic? If so, that makes a lot of sense as that’s a huge trend in cars, with some models not even offering a non-metallic white anymore.

I’m glad to see Whirlpool spinning off all these creative non-stainless options. Why do I keep thinking this will also be the courageous brand that will bring back some colors too? Fingers crossed! 🙂

1. pam kueber says:

I am not sure if it’s metallic. I tend to think not, since it is apparently the same COLOR as Whirlpool white but with different design appointments.

4. Joe Felice says:

Now we’re talking! An alternative to stainless steel, as is GE’s line of slate appliances. Of course, it’s all too late for Joe’s Diner, as he had already purchased new appliances. And I was not aware you could get a SxS refer/freeze without ice & water in the door. I use the filtered water ALL the time, for myself and the cats, but don’t use the ice. Those ice dispensers never seem to work right or consistently, and they shoot ice out onto the floor sometimes. That technology has not changed in 50 years.

5. Diana Jorgensen says:

Wish I was the awesome one to tip off retrorenovation– one of our favorite sites! After looking far and wide and thoroughly vetting our white ice gas range, we bought it in November, 2014– and we’ve LOVED it. It has aqua lift– can’t stand the nasty chemical smell from other self cleaning ovens. This one simply has you put a little water in your oven, and it heats it up a little, and you wipe it down. Super easy peasy and safe– it was one of the main reasons I bought it. It also has a convection oven which we loves. The colors are perfect for a slightly vintage look– did also look at GE’s Artistry line, but they lacked several essentials. I wanted an amazing range and oven, and we saved up for it. So happy we did. 🙂 This is one you won’t be sorry if you buy— easy clock set, easy timer set, easy oven set, preheat, warming– one thing I’d like it doesn’t have is, when the timer’s on you can’t see the clock. That’s it. Everything else is awesome– super powerful gas range. **They do have a dishwasher, fyi (someone mentioned they didn’t see it).

6. Mary V says:

I am so glad this article came up. I have been remodeling my 1939 kitchen for over a year, partly due to finances. I have a modern GE 18 cu ft white fridge and a 1950’s Wedgewood Holly stove. My kitchen is painted 90% white. The other will be a yellow or green accent. Still thinking about this. I have looked into buying chrome handles for my modern fridge. Today, when thinking of the chrome handles, I debated in my mind that this might look tacky. Thanks for the article. I know that this kitchen project is headed in the right direction! There is not anything tacky about any of this restoration/renovation.

7. Tim Johnson says:

Nice writeup. We put these in with the gloss white Ikea cabinets in the kitchen remodel for our MCM. They totally match each other, and we found pulls that mimic the arc on the Whirlpool appliances. Yes, they’re expensive, but we got all but the microwave at Sears outlets. Check out the pix:)

8. Diane in AZ says:

I just bought the Whirlpool White Ice appliances and I had no idea they seemed retro in style, I just wanted something with a little more zing instead of my all white Whirlpool ones. I also have the French door all white fridge( plain front) that I am hoping the white ice door handles will fit since I don’t need a new refrigerator. Fingers crossed that when I order them they’ll be a perfect fit. Btw, I was happy to read in the article that the white color is the same. Yay!