V

Vintage Turner art print: Coral + chartreuse + teal + black color inspiration

This week I have been fixated on the color combination: Coral + chartreuse + teal + black. The Retro Decorating Gods approved, because I went poking around the Goodwill, feeling very lucky, turned a corner, and sure enough, there it was: A vintage Turner art print, in my fixation colors, perfect for my Mahalo Lounge, for $5.99. TGIF, everyone!

1. Cece DuBois says:

What a great color combo, Pam!! In fact, I grew up with that very combo in in my grandmother’s house. Nanny’s front porch columns — which looked like 10 inch wide ladders connected at 90 degree angles — were chartreuse, with the original pink flamingos in the front garden. Haha! She had *great* style, and was way ahead of her time.
    Nanny’s been long gone, but my younger brother and I often observe how much her style has influenced our own choices for our homes.

Carry on, sister. The lounge is looking great!!

2. carolyn says:

When I go thrifting/estate sales, DH wants to know “what I’m looking for?” You don’t go to LOOK, you go to FIND! The universe sends more and better stuff if you go with that mindset. Specifics? Won’t work. A couple of hours and a pocketful of cash – EVERYthing comes to you.

1. Mary Elizabeth says:

Carolyn, you are right, there are two kinds of shoppers–the lookers and the finders. I used to think men were the “lookers,” because when we went shopping together they would have a specific item in mind (blue striped dress shirt, ground beef, beige sofa, electric drill, etc.), go straight to it if they saw it and then go straight out the door if they didn’t. And I thought all women were like me, wandering somewhat aimlessly around the store, tag sale, or supermarket, looking for inspiration more than a specific object. But I’ve met men who are finders (I run into them in antique shops) and women who are lookers, too. I don’t run into the women lookers, as they are mostly shopping on line these days, even for groceries. 🙂

2. Jay says:

You are so right! It’s the wrong mindset to enter the Restore, GW or an antique mall “looking” for something; it’s all about the “find”. I go to a local church’s semi-annual rummage sale simply because I never know what I’ll find.

3. Neil says:

Yes but.
      There’s a further level of that flow; I often have a light bulb go off, and refine the image in my mind, savor the pleasure, and then hang it on the wall of my subconscious and forget about it…..and then some time later I’ll be walking through an estate sale and suddenly there it is filling my eyespace – exactly what I’d envisioned or often even better – waiting for me to take it home.
      And I do.
      Neil

3. Carol says:

Stunning! I live for old barkcloth colors. I’m pea green with envy for the first time in my life. Except for the time I found on Ebay 2 barkcloth curtain panels with chartreuse for over $900.00. They were the same fabric used in a Miami hotel stated the seller. Your print made me gasp. To me, it’s perfection.

4. Jay says:

Missed this post Friday; the gods were surely smiling on you – holding this for you to discover. Appears to be in excellent condition and will be right at home in the lounge.

5. Karin says:

Great score Pam! I love these colours. In case someone hasn’t already thought of it, how about framing a beautiful pillow sized piece of tropical barkcloth in a vintage frame?

6. Maria says:

What a steal! I have 2 large Turner’s, The flamingos and the cockatoos with four other smaller ones to group with them. I was thrilled to death when I found them, but I paid considerably more. Enjoy!

7. Joe Felice says:

Perfect for the Mahalo. I would have bought just because it’s a Turner.

Maybe you could do an article about Turner mirrors.