M

Mosaic bathroom tiles — 3 unique designs in Kim’s 1962 house

beige mosaic tile bathroomOh my goodness, Kim has not one — not two — but three of the the most beautiful bathrooms featuring original mosaic bathroom tiles that I’ve ever seen. Wouldn’t these be amazing to replicate in a Retro Renovation bathroom today?

gold brown white mosaic tileI first heard from Kim when I reposted a 2015 story about where to find mosaic bathroom tiles in colors on our Facebook page. In quick response to my “pretty please,” she sent photos of all three bathrooms — gorgeous shots taken with her iphone. I’ll call the mosaic bathroom tiles shown above the harvest gold, brown, gray and white mix. A surprisingly pleasing color combination, don’t you agree?

Above: The blue mix mosaic bathroom tiles.

Kim fell in love even before the mosaic bathroom tiles

Kim wrote:

When I heard this house was for sale in my neighborhood, and I new it had not been updated, I just wanted to go see the bathrooms, as I wanted my husband to remodeled mine back to the 60s era. We walked in the front door and I said, ‘I want this house’! I hadn’t even seen the bathrooms lol! Later that day, we were the new owners!

No one has ever pressured us to remodel any of the house. Even the shag carpet is from 1962. The only thing we’ve replaced is kitchen and living room carpeting with cork flooring. The appliances are original and I love using them!

We are the third owners. We had the original owner over last year and he was so happy to see everything still as he had it built.

And above: The rich green mix of mosaic bathroom tiles. Weighing all three designs, I think this is my favorite, because of the density of the pattern. Which is your favorite?

All tucked in beautiful midcentury modern house

Oh, and as if we were not all envious enough looking at those original vintage tile bathrooms, here’s a bonus from Kim:

Here are a couple pictures of the outside!! I love my MCM home!

-Kim

Of course you love your midcentury modern home, Kim — what a beauty! Thank you for sharing these photos. The bathrooms! The house! It’s so lucky they found you! Adore! xoxo pam

1. Rachel M says:

I have been thinking if I can love my green mosaic tile. This article inspired me to embrace it. Is the mosaic tile typically 60’s? My home was built in 1949 so I am trying to understand when it was renovated. Thank you!

2. Sid says:

My heart! The colour combinations are cozy, fun, and welcoming and I love the whimsical touches (hanging pictures, a little mouse?? on the floor by the planter in the green bathroom, the “Men’s” sign on bathroom door). Love it all!

3. Marie Gamalski says:

I’m desperately trying to beat my “green eyed monster” into submission….I LOVE THIS HOUSE!! Did you SEE all those windows?!?!… sigh….???…great baths, I’m w/Pam.. fav, if I had to pick, the green…love the full size window w/the shutters… I’ve got shutters, I’ll try and soothe myself w/those????

4. Jean Benfante says:

Heavens to Mergatroid! (sic) Those twin blue hudee sinks are amazeballs! I love the shape of them- wide at the front and narrowing at the back. Its the design details that always get me about this period. Such style!

5. Ms. Vel-Vida says:

I love the use of wood in the bathrooms, especially on the ceilings, it makes it so warm and cozy looking. That window across from the tub is great, you can have a bubble bath with a view!

6. So great to see people saving the old instead of ripping it out for newer finishing with less character. When my parents had to sell my Grandmother’s home, an old stone townhouse in Philadelphia that had been refinished in the 60’s, I was ecstatic to see that the new owners had kept the blue and white mosaic tile in the bathroom. It was exactly like Kim’s!

7. Mary Elizabeth says:

Yes, definitely, the green is my favorite, too! Have you had any stories about caring for old tile, regrouting, resealing, etc.? Many times people rip out tile instead of cleaning it up.

8. Rebecca Prichard says:

The first is my favorite! It’s not surprisingly pleasing to me at all! Brown is best.
    All three are great. Thanks for the inspiration.