Doing research for my recent talk at Arizona Tiki Oasis on tiki decor, I learned about Frank’s Cane and Rush Supply — another great source for tropical matting, bamboo, and these seagrass square rugs. What a flash from the past when I saw them! These seagrass squares rugs are super retro — they are used on some ceilings at the Mai Kai, and of course, they have been used for decades as rugs. Mike, the owner of Frank’s, told me that his seagrass square rugs were featured in some well-known shelter magazines recently, and that they are selling like hotcakes. They suit many styles: beachy… natural… nautical… and tropical — all these styles are all hot today in mainstream decor.
Seagrass rugs can be relatively inexpensive
Also good news: These seagrass squares rugs are not super expensive and can be sewn together to create larger sizes:
- Frank’s sells its seagrass rugs in two sizes, a 9 x 12 that costs $165 and a 9 x 24 that costs $330. Owner Mike says that shipping within the U.S. will run $35-$72, depending on how far east you live. Franks also sells jute cording kits that enable you to sew them together to create even larger rugs. Hey: I have a 15 x 30 room — I could sew three 9 x 12s into a 12 x 27, wouldn’t that be something!
- I called Oceanic Arts, and they sell a 6 x 9 for $115.
- Continue reading to the end for a few other sources I found.
Seagrass squares also were used on the ceiling of tiki bars — like at the Mai Kai, above.
Thanks to the Facebook group Home Tiki Bar Builds for tipping me to Frank’s Supply.
Where to get seagrass rugs and squares:
Jute rugs that have the seagrass-squares look too:
Jute rugs also have the look. If you are trying to decide which material to buy (seagrass vs. jute etc.) use the google to do some research on the features and benefits of each material. Where to find jute rugs woven decoratively:
- Rugs USA has a connecting circles jute rug that is very cute
- Overstock has octagons and other designs (diamonds – nice) — finished looks with edging.
Like I said, natural fiber rugs are hot right now!