S

Seagrass square rugs and where to find them — an affordable, retro favorite popular again today

seagrass square rug
Seagrass rug from Frank’s Cane and Rush.

Doing research for my recent talk at Arizona Tiki Oasis on tiki decor, I learned about Frank’s Cane and Rush Supply — another great source for tropical matting, bamboo, and these seagrass square rugs. What a flash from the past when I saw them! These seagrass squares rugs are super retro — they are used on some ceilings at the Mai Kai, and of course, they have been used for decades as rugs. Mike, the owner of Frank’s, told me that his seagrass square rugs were featured in some well-known shelter magazines recently, and that they are selling like hotcakes. They suit many styles: beachy… natural… nautical… and tropical — all these styles are all hot today in mainstream decor.

seagrass rug
Oceanic Arts also sells seagrass rugs

Seagrass rugs are inexpensive and relatively inexpensive

Also good news: These seagrass squares rugs are not super expensive and can be sewn together to create larger sizes:

• Frank’s sells its seagrass rugs in two sizes, a 9 x 12 that costs $165 and a 9 x 24 that costs $330. Owner Mike says that shipping within the U.S. will run $35-$72, depending on how far east you live. Franks also sells jute cording kits that enable you to sew them together to create even larger rugs. Hey: I have a 15 x 30 room — I could sew three 9 x 12s into a 12 x 27, wouldn’t that be something!
  • I called Oceanic Arts, and they sell a 6 x 9 for $115.
  • Continue reading to the end for a few other sources I found.

seagrass squares on ceiling of mai kaiSeagrass squares also were used on the ceiling of tiki bars — like at the Mai Kai, above.

Thanks to the Facebook group Home Tiki Bar Builds for tipping me to Frank’s Supply.

Where to get seagrass rugs and squares:

Jute rugs that have the seagrass-squares look too:

Jute rugs also have the look. If you are trying to decide which material to buy (seagrass vs. jute etc.) use the google to do some research on the features and benefits of each material. Where to find jute rugs woven decoratively:

Like I said, natural fiber rugs are hot right now!

Categoriestiki and bars
    1. Wendellyn Plummer says:

I agree! Pier 1 used to be a great source for a lot of retro items. I wonder what happened?

1. Pam Kueber says:

I was just there the other day — found some small hanging glass floats, on sale.

I think they are more mainstream now. But, they still have a lot of rattan etc. including those awesome rattan/bamboo (?) hanging egg chairs!

1. Stephanie says:

I think they opened too many stores in close proximity to one another. I used to have 4 within 30 minutes of my home and now there are just 2. They still carry products made with natural fibers including placemats, rugs and furniture. One of the stores near me just moved to an expanded space in the same shopping center to accommodate more outdoor furniture and a dedicated section for rugs, some of which are jute.

1. Mary Elizabeth says:

I remember during the 1950s that seagrass rugs were used not in homes, but in simple summer cottages owned or rented by family members. Fancy floor coverings would not be practical, especially where there was no electricity and hence no vacuum. These rugs are great when people are tracking sand in from the beach every day. The sand filters through to the floor, and at the end of the week, when the renters leave (or if you are a nice renter, before you leave), you roll up the rug and sweep up the sand.

2. DJ Sparkles says:

They’re great unless you have cats! And don’t blame your kitties; they are naturally attracted to certain fibers and textures, which is good, because if you supply them with proper things to scratch, they’ll leave your wool rugs and furniture alone. Cats need to scratch- it’s exercise for them. And when you decided to adopt pets, the responsible thing is to provide them what they need. Good scratching posts are covered with jute, not carpet, which just teaches your cat to scratch carpet (ugh!) So please don’t blame your kitty if you try natural grass mats and kitty thanks you by enjoying them “too” much!

I tried using coco entry mats outside, but my neighbor kitty, who spends his days here, thought they were for him. I kept the last one but moved it away from the door, which gives him something to scratch instead of my wicker furniture (which he had thankfully never touched, maybe because they are painted), and bought a non-scratch-able rug for the front door. Kitties are worth it.

3. Grama Robin says:

I had one of these to put under the awning of our vintage camper. I’m old enough to remember when this was sold off of rolls by the foot! While I loved the look and the versatility, folding it and unfolding it to move it took its toll. I got pretty good at sewing the squares back together.
    But I would highly recommend these for a more sensible stationary use! They look and feel really cool and they even smell good!

4. Marianne says:

I have been trying to find these thinking they were still common and easy to find. I was very wrong. I found you through an internet search. Thank you so much for sourcing them!

5. GG says:

Another commenter here to say I’m so glad you sourced these! I’ve been noticing them in a lot of home features lately in SL and other publications and haven’t been able to find them ANYWHERE. After months of searching on and off, I finally put in the right keywords and you popped up in Google – thanks so much!