Classic farmhouse drainboard sinks look quite charming in a vintage kitchen. We continue to do extensive research on all the options for retro sinks and faucets — so now there is enough information to make a whole page of all the alternatives — including stainless steel options too.
1. Authentic vintage farmhouse drainboard sinks:
If you are the owner of an older porcelain enamel bathtub or sinks — or are considering buying one — please see my May 2, 2016 story Understanding potential lead hazards in old porcelain enamel bathtubs and sinks and ceramic tile of any age; this article focuses on raising awareness around three other potential sources of lead dust exposure in your home – old porcelain enamel bathtubs and sinks and ceramic tile of any era — and steps you can take to assess and, if required, address them.
Midcentury and prewar farmhouse kitchen sinks were, I believe, generally manufactured using a cast iron or steel substrate, covered with porcelain enamel. They were available in white……in pastels and other colors, as in Erica’s Jadeite kitchen (shown above.)
Here is slide show of 16 vintage Kohler kitchens that give you some idea of the designs.
Vintage sinks can usually be found at salvage companies, on craigslist, your area ReStore / Habitat for Humanity, etc.
2. Re-porcelain a vintage sink:
Vintage sinks can be re-porcelained. Custom Ceramic Coatings is one resource we found to do it (photo above is an example).
Reader Barb had a porcelain-enamel-on-steel sink (not cast iron) and found another source Independence Porcelain Enamel, to reporcelain it.
- Do your own research with these companies to ask what materials and processes they use in their re-porcelaining processes.
3. Cleaning a porcelain enamel drainboard sink:
I reached out to Kohler to ask about various cleaning products for their porcelain enamel on cast iron products made today. See this story:
- Kohler says “no” to: Magic Eraser, Comet, Bar Keepers Friend, Zud, vinegar, etc…. for cleaning its porcelain enamel cast iron.
Please consult with the manufacturer of your sink you buy new; and again, if your sink is vintage take care considering this story.
4. Farmhouse sink reproductions — porcelain enamel on cast iron:
We know of several sources for a reproductions of apron style farmhouse drainboard sinks. These designs below are porcelain enamel on cast iron — the very old school way to make these sinks.
Ready to Re is making reproductions of these 60″ wide dual-bowl, double drainboard sinks again. They sit on your countertop, sans hudee.
The first is the Sanford Cast Iron Kitchen sink with drain board and apron from Signature Hardware — like Laura used in her adorable summer cottage kitchen.
Above: Strom Plumbing also has a 42″ design – also in cast iron.
The other available option — also in cast iron — the Clarion farmhouse drainboard sink. It is made by Strom Plumbing and marketed by a number of companies such as our longtime advertiser, deabath.com — but you can shop around. This apron sink is 60″ wide.
These faucets will use a vintage style wall-mount kitchen faucet — as some examples of such designs available on the market today, see our story 8 vintage style wall-mount kitchen faucets.
5. Steel drainboard kitchen sinks:
- Elkay still makes a number sink-top drainboard sinks very much like the porcelain enamel on cast iron. See this story on the different styles of Elkay stainless steel sinks.. above: Read this story about how Joe used one of these Elkay steel drainboards to replace a damaged original sink in his kitchen.
- See these vintage-inspired designs from Ready to Re.
- Second, we did a separate round up eight places to find drop-in stainless steel sinks.
- See this story, too, about ways to do stainless steel sinks and countertops in your kitchen. Check local building codes to ensure these are to code in your locality.
- Also check companies like Ikea and Franke, they may have some “drop in designs”.
Ready to RE — stainless steel reproductions
Ready to Re has designs on Amazon — note, in this story, links to Amazon may net me a small commission if you click and buy. Reader to Re lots of choices here:
Need a faucet? I like the one that Joe used. It looks like << this Chicago model.
6. Reproduction farmhouse sinks available from Nelson Bath Tub, Inc.:
Above: The second sink from Nelson Tub and Bath is a 66″ wide double sink double drainboard farmhouse sink.
Above: Nelson’s 42″ single bowl, single drainboard sink. And be sure to check their website, they continue to add new designs each year, it seems.
7. Reproduction drainboard sinks in other materials (including colors)
CorStone drainboard sinks come in five designs and lots of colors — including pale yellow, greens, pinks and even a bluish lavendar.
Another new option is this Blanco sink (*affiliate link) lists for $933 plus shipping. While this model has the lovely drainboard — and appears to be made of a composite including hard rock granite — it is not what we’d describe as “retro” in style. Still, we’ll put it out there for you. This model is available in eight neutral colors — but also has the drawback of no faucet holes — limiting counter top options.
8. Drainboard laundry sink
Also of note — the CorStone Hamilton Laundry Sink (*affiliate link), prices starting at $258 — with three holes for a deck mounted faucet — appears to come in all of the same 36 colors as the kitchen sink. So if your laundry room is right off the kitchen, and you like colorful matching sinks, this might be just what you’ve been looking for.
9. Salvage Places:
Salvage places are another place to get vintage drainboard sinks. Here’s an ebay feed to one of my favorite, NY Salvage:
- Vtg Mid Century White Porcelain Single Basin Double Drainboard Farm Sink 752-17E
- Vintage Cast Iron White Porcelain Sink Extension Standard Drainboard Old 187-18P
- Vintage Cast Iron White Porcelain Sink Extension Standard Drainboard 186-18P
- Vintage Cast Iron White Porcelain Sink Extension Standard Drainboard Vtg 185-18P
- Vintage Cast Iron White Porcelain Sink Extension Standard Drainboard Vtg 184-18P
- Vtg Steel White Porcelain Sink Basin Cover Drainboard Kitchen Fixture 183-18P
- Large Vtg Steel White Porcelain Sink Basin Cover Drainboard Old Fords 05-18E
- Vtg Steel White Porcelain Sink Basin Cover Drainboard Old Kitchen Fixture 04-18E
- Vtg Cast Iron Porcelain Double Drainboard Basin Farmhouse Kitchen Sink 789-17E
- Vtg Mid Century Cast Iron Drop In Sink Porcelain Double Basin Drainboard 751-17E
- Vtg Mid Century White Porcelain Single Basin Double Drainboard Farm Sink 750-17E
- Vtg Heavy Steel White Porcelain Kitchen Sink Basin Extention Drainboard 29-17J
- Vtg Cast Iron Porcelain Double Drainboard Single Basin Kitchen Sink 599-17E
- Vtg Mid Century Steel White Porcelain Double Basin Drainboard Farm Sink 588-17E
- Vtg Cast Iron Porcelain Double Drainboard Basin Farmhouse Kitchen Sink 494-17E