DIY putz house #11 — Palm Springs ranch house with breeze block patio — free downloadable pattern

midcentury ranch housekitschmas-krazyOur 11th DIY putz house in our growing Christmas Village subdivision is this adorable midcentury modern Palm Springs home, complete with a time consuming, but oh-so-cool mini decorative concrete block wall. Sharpen your x-acto knife for this one, folks! midcentury ranch houseThe core of this putz house design is actually quite simple. Windows line the roof line except for one open spot on the right, where you can choose to paint, draw, or glue a decorative stacked stone or brick wall to add interest to the otherwise simple exterior.

midcentury ranch houseThe stacked stone area is a great backdrop to a mini flamingo!

midcentury ranch houseThe only part of this pattern that is challenging is the decorative concrete block courtyard wall. Cutting out this portion of the pattern takes several sharp x-acto knife blades, a steady hand and patience. It took me about half an hour to carefully cut out all of the little block openings, but it turned out so neat that I think it was worth the effort. I give you my pattern for breeze block, but if you are feeling even more retro krafty, you can ogle some of the many real designs of decorative concrete block that we have profiled an come up with your own.

midcentury ranch houseDon’t you just love the way the light shines through the mini decorative concrete block?

If you happen to have a shortage of sharp knife blades or time, here are a few alternate suggestions for creating a similar wall:

• Print the decorative concrete block pattern on a transparency, and use it without cutting.
  • Use found materials (packaging, packing or leftover building materials) with tiny perforations that create interesting ‘concrete block like’ patterns.
  • Use paper to weave a design, leaving some openings to allow light to pass through.

Use your imagination! Pam and I love to see what readers come up with to decorate these tiny midcentury homes.

midcentury ranch housemidcentury ranch house

Get the pattern:

Make a whole neighborhood of midcentury “Putz” style houses:

Comments

1. linda h says

This might be my favorite one so far.
    Just an idea-re: my additional comment yesterday- maybe you could put the intended house dimensions on the plans.

2. Lynne says

Another thought for the cement block is to look at the plastic “baskets” that some produce (little tomatoes) comes in. Sometimes the design has an interesting geometric pattern. I used this for a nice room divider back in my dollhouse days.

Also pay attention to the plastic trays that packaged cookies and crackers come in. Think glass block and stained glass windows.

When you do dollhouses, you look at everything in a whole new way.

Yes, I was doing an ornament wreath yesterday: The boxes that the teeny tiny ornaments come in have punched round holes. As you said: Thinking of this Kate project, I held it up and moved it this way and that assessing, can this be used as breeze blocks!

3. Robin, NV says

Oh my goodness, this one is ADORABLE. I’ve probably said this before but this is my favorite of the Putz houses, so far. Those breeze blocks are amazing.

• Mary Elizabeth says

Robin, this is my favorite, too. The pink trees and flamingo and faux stone wall make it unique. But I think the reason we keep coming up with a new favorite is that Kate keeps raising the bar and outdoing herself!

4. Mary Elizabeth says

Kate, I love the whimsy of this one. In my various trips to Florida, I have never seen a flamingo hanging out by the front door of a house. This must be a faux-faux flamingo! 🙂 I have, however, seen egrets hang out in front of a fisherman’s house and even in front of a suburban house in St. Petersburg at the exact time the person living there gets home each evening. That is because they are waiting for an expected handout. The person in the house feeds them at the same time each day, and they are quick learners. So maybe flamingos do that, too, but I didn’t happen to see them. Does anyone know?

• Kate says

This flamingo is supposed to be a yard ornament — A real flamingo would probably not let snow pile up on herself and wait around in someone’s front yard. tee hee hee. 🙂

5. Kathy says

Very cute! I think that metal perforated screening of the type used for radiator covers (available at Home Depot and such) could be painted, perhaps with the “stone” type spray paint and be used as the breeze blocks. It is fairly expensive, but the rest could be used for another craft project, such as an insert for a kitchen cabinet.

• Karen says

What a great idea and the trailer is fabulous. When I looked at that brickwork, I imagined Styrofoam but was relieved to realize it was thinner-whew. Sooo much creativity Kate! Where did you score the flamingo?

• Kate says

Thanks Karen! I got the flamingos (came in a 3 or 4 pack I think) last year at Menards. It was part of their mini village decor display. 🙂

6. tammyCA says

Oh, wow that is a great job on the decorative “concrete” wall. I did a similar wall on one of my little houses & used a tiny circle hole punch..check out different punches at the craft store, they have lots of decorative ones in the scrapbook section. Punchinella (sequin waste) is another cool thing to make mini stuff out of..it’s metallic looking..I’m planning on making some HR dollhouse lamps.
    Packaging is the best stuff..I second the plastic cherry tomato containers..cut it up & you have cathedral window frames..also the plastic needlepoint grid canvas makes great tiny window frames.

7. Erika Tugas says

I am IN LOVE with this one! Every year I make a few houses from your awesome patterns – this one is going to be a challenge with those blocks! First though I have to clear out the mess from the ornament wreaths I’m making. The Kitschmas crafting struggle is real! LOL