V

Vintage Masketeers birds – and the WWII spy story of their owner

vintage masketeers ducksGeorge writes:

I with great joy saw a print of you in the middle, with two ladies on each side holding three seagulls. I have the exact three made by the Masketeers, Inc. of Belington, W. Virginia. They are from the early 60s. The wood is black walnut,with the wings of anodized aluminium. These came from a dear friend’s home, which was built in 1949-1950. The label is still perfect on the back, and I am placing these on Ebay as she is now in assisted living and I am selling her items. A small note, she was one of 200 women in WW2 (NAVY), that key punched data accumulated from Japan’s coded messages. The punched cards by these ladies were loaded into, at that time, an unknown super computer. These ladies did indeed helped bring Japan to there knees and end the war. They received only a ribbon, highly secret, then three years later the medal. It is a great story, as this being a time that women were not recognized.

What a wonderful story, George – thank you for sharing, I’ll be on the lookout for your ebay postings. And readers, be sure to check out the “original” post on the vintage Masketeers seagulls or, M R Dux…? The most hilarious comment string in Retro Renovation history.

Categoriespostwar culture
  1. 50sgal says:

These are definitely ducks, both by their wing flying pattern and their ‘mallard’ stripe on their neck. What fun these are. I do often see these type of images in my old magazines innocently hanging on walls in ads for many things.

2. SaraTinkelman says:

Good grief! The unbridled coolness! Under what category would one list these things on eBay? “Flying Mallards” “Collectables”? “Wall Sculpture”? To paraphrase Fearless Leader, er, Pam “I want those ducks!”.

3. vintigchik says:

I have 2 of these birds, but I guess I’m missing one:) I have them on either side of a cool diamond shaped clock that I purchased at a different time. The wood and metal on the clock match perfect and they look like they were meant to be together. Now I’ll be looking for that 3rd elusive one.

4. joyce's jane says:

Some of you may remember that my Uncle Walter worked at Masketeers and my Aunt Joyce came on and posted historical information about the wall hanging design. Unfortunately, Uncle Walter is in failing health, but they will both be thrilled to know that Masketeers is still alive and well in the hearts of Retro Renovators.

5. lorena says:

i have a masketeer revolutionary war map and generals where all there battles were fought need to know more about it

6. Doug says:

I have two of these birds that I grew up with as a child. We only had the two hanging over our 1959 Curtis Mathis (tube powered and stereo) console radio, record player, reel to reel That I also have. I Love these ducks!

7. Anne L.H. says:

We have the same trio which we found at vintage store. It’s great to have the history. Thank you for sharing!

8. brad says:

My wife found these similar ducks at a yard sale for $10
    these are painted BLACK with a ring around the neck also
    I can’t find anything online like them.
    where can I find out more about them?
    thanks

9. brad says:

Joyce, where can I find out more about these ducks?
    I am a new collector & WVU grad, and I appreciate the beauty that was crafted by your relatives.