A

Avocado kitchen sink and appliances? Heck to the yeah, say Jon & Trixi!

avocado kitchen sink with metal rim

Jon & Trixi are back, with an update on the continuing un-remodel of their 1962 kitchen. They have slowly been (1) peeling away circa-2005 disprovements and (2) replacing millenial flip-this-house crappola with vintage goodness, all in the service of (3) reveling in their kitchen’s innate avocadoness.

Jon writes:

Look what went in this weekend! The avocado sink!! FIFTEEN HOURS it took, but it works and doesn’t leak!

You will recall that, when we first met Jon and Trixi, Jon explained about finding the sink. Well, in case you don’t recall, here is exactly what he said:

(OH — one last thing — if any of your Minneapolis readers are wanting a pink bathroom after the Pink Bathroom article in the Star Tribune a few weeks ago, point ‘em here: City Salvage. … We got our sink for super-cheap — the guy is dying to get rid of that stuff. We haven’t bought it yet — waiting for this next pay period, but our plan is to head there on Saturday. The guy told me there wasn’t a lot of call for avocado sinks, so there wasn’t much risk of it selling before then. It had a hudee ring!! A little bent up on one corner but I have high hopes I can gently hammer it back. But we have a working vintage Frigidaire fridge — in Avocado!! Goal: all matching avocado appliances.

Over to the right of the sink, you most surely did spy a Vance Industries, hudee-rimmed, built-in trivet slash cutting board. Here’s a close up:

built-in-countertop-trivet-and-hot-plateJon explains:

At long last!! It looks smashing! And one of the two “mystery holes” has been filled!  All that’s left in countertop land is to install our avocado sink and get a NuTone Food Center happening. And then we’re FINALLY on to the cabinets. I think we’re gonna see the hugest change once we start working on those!

My goodness, Jon & Trixi, you surely hath become king and queen of the hudees. We look forward, your royal hudee highnesses, to seeing the next installment of your kitchen adventures.

1. Jon Hunt says:

Our house had avocado-colored carpeting when it was built, according to the original owner — and there’s a sample of it in the basement closet, too! We’re gonna pair the avocado in our kitchen with tomato red. I think it’ll look super fresh together.

2. Ethan says:

Love it! I bought my house a year ago and it was built in 1974 and it has an avocado sink in the kitchen. We temporarily took out the sink and hudee ring. Cleaned the hudee ring and sink, re-installed the sink and put a new drain on it. We couldn’t be happier with the results either.

It’s taken us most of the year but we have matching appliances. A 1962 Frigidaire Flair oven, 1971 side by side fridge and a 1978 dishwasher all in avocado. The washer, dryer, dishwasher front panel and microwave I had professionaly painted in avocado but the others were made that way. Everything works great and it looks awesome.

Like you, Jon and Trixi, the cabinets are next. They’re cool 70’s cabinets but very beat up. We’re going to try the Rustoleum Transformations this summer.

Good luck!

p.s. There is a beautiful matching washer/ dryer set in avocado on ebay. If I lived closer to Colorado I would buy them.

3. MCM is grand says:

“…replacing millenial flip-this-house crappola with vintage goodness”…that is such a perfect way to sum up what this great blog is all about! thank you PAM!

ps – I remember the day, circa 1988? that our avocado fridge finally stopped working and had to be hauled away. My mother was upset. She tried to buy another one of the same color, but was told “lady, no one makes those things anymore”…

4. Janice says:

Thanks Jon! I’m glad I could play a part in saving some wonderful details in your kitchen. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

5. Jason says:

OMG Ethan!! As in my comment earlier I love a Flair! I <3 a 40" double oven frigidaire flair! I swear I might still buy one and put it in the garage lol.

6. ElizaJane says:

Oh my, your drawer pulls are the same as mine in my new/old house! I have the best time seeing stuff from my house on this blog.

7. Jon Hunt says:

Ah, alas, we’re replacing those when we rip out the laminate — not to say they aren’t lovely! I don’t mind the 70s burnished-brass-look at all. We had the 60s version of same in our house growing up!

8. Elaine says:

Obviously the bent corner turned out fine. The sink looks great. It is amazing how good the counter top looks. Ours is pretty worn, but we are going to live with it awhile to decide what to do with it. Just like in your kitchen, it also covers the backsplash, where it is in much better shape.

9. Tina says:

Gotta LOVE avocado! I have the original 1960 oval avocado sink in my 2nd bathroom, but sadly the toilet has been replaced. The sink is cracked on one side too, but since it is the only working sink in the house right now we use it. I’d love to find another avocado toilet and try and repair the sink. Kudos to you for going with that fabulous color! So 60s!

10. Just another Pam says:

I have to second that emotion, Brad. This is the first one I ever removed and wow to call it a science experiment under there would be kind and the lady who owned this house was a clean and tidy soul. Mine was in the bathroom so I shudder to think what she found under the one in the kitchen when she removed it.

11. Just another Pam says:

Brilliant idea, wish I’d known about it a year ago. I should have said earlier but your sink looks beautiful!

12. Mike says:

Jon: There are range hoods in avocado green, you just have to keep looking. My parents’ 1973 ranch had an avocado green fridge, dishwasher, trash compactor, and range hood. The cooktop was white, and the double wall oven was black. Over time, the avocado appliances wore out and were replaced with black. the range hood was the last to go. It was still functional, but was sent to the the local autobody shop for a repaint – black to match everything else.

13. Ann-Marie Meyers (Skylark) says:

Kersten,
    I asked at the La Crosse, ReStore, and they said when they get in the vintage stuff it never lasts longer than a day, so I don’t know why they won’t accept more.
    Guess we are stuck Craigslist and going to the Minnyapple for our stuff.

14. Kimberly V says:

MMMM…avacado appliances. I have an avacado GE electric doule oven free-standing range, think that it is a 1978, but not sure. I have this beauty that I call Ms.Green for 30 more days until the new LG arrives. I am redoing my parents avacado kitchen. Avacado sink is still in place! The last time they did anything to their kitchen was probably 1981.

I grew up in this avacado kitchen and although, I love retro. I am ready for the new. Glad to hear that someone appreciates the avacado kitchen.

15. Neotoma says:

Jon and Trixi, thank you very much for making that kitchen beautiful again. It’s tragic when people ruin things like that to replace it with lame eyesore awfulness.
    I am super lucky because my Grandma has lived in the same house since the early 1970s and hasn’t changed anything. And she is one of the most resourceful/frugal women I know of, so she has not 1 but 2 (non-working) avocado refrigerators and a avocado freezer in her garage (she uses them as cabinets them so they hold tools, etc.) Her avocado stove and dishwasher still work. And her floor is that same beautiful laminate that you guys uncovered. If her house ever goes to someone who doesn’t love mid-century modern, I think I’m going to strip the whole thing from light fixtures to shag carpet.