B

Built in bathroom scale that folds down — among the three most collectible vintage Hall-Mack & Nutone bathroom accessories

built in fold down bathroom scale

Every week I seem to be getting a new message from a reader — someone who has just made an offer on, or bought a 1950s 0f 1960s house — all excited that there is one of these in the bathroom: A Hall-Mack Concealed Scale. I’ve spotted these fold down bathroom scales and written about them several times, but to help these readers, I thought I’d do this stand-alone story so they can get right to it.

The above image was taken from a 1962 Hall-Mack bathroom accessories catalog in my private collection. As you can see, the metal box to hold the scale is recessed into the wall between the studs. It needs to be installed at exactly the correct point on the wall, so that the rubber-covered handle rests on the floor. I tend to believe that this unit came with a bathroom scale — but I am absolutely sure about this.

built in fold down bathroom scaleAbove: I spotted this fold downscale at a 1964 time capsule house nearby. It’s combined in a nook that includes a laundry chute — very thoughtful design.

recessed fold down bathroom scale hall-mackAbove: Cindy has a fold down bathroom scale in her 1960s bathroom, too. I think that when I went to visit Cindy, this was the very first time I ever saw one. Ooooooooh, Ahhhhhhhhhh. Love.

built in rotating chrome water glass and soap holderThe fold-down bathroom scale is not the only highly desirable vintage Hall-Mack or Nutone bathroom accessory. These “Concealed Lavatories” (above) — revolving toothbrush holders — are now going for more than $200 on ebay for New Old Stock. Golly — I have one in my attic somewhere that I paid $5 for, 10 years ago. I better go find it!

1962 hall mack relaxation unitAnd I tend to believe that, most rare of all is the Hall-Mack Relaxation Unit: You get your toilet paper, your magazines and — hey — even your cigs right there where you need ’em:

“Luxurious and practical and designed with a man in mind…”

I think that Hall-Mack was ultimately purchased by Nu-Tone, so these vintage chrome bathroom accessories may be in later Nu-Tone catalogs, as well. I will have to put this on my list to research. Why did these fantastic ideas not perpetuate? The only real reason I can guess is: Simplification and cost-cutting, probably during some severe recession. Alas, it happens.

1. Lisa P. says:

We are at the Country Inn in Montrose Colorado. The Inn built in the 1950’s has a scale exactly as pictured and still in perfect working order.

2. David Novitsky says:

I just renovated a 1950’s bathroom and the owner does not want the Nutone fold down scale I removed. It is in excellent condition, and accurate to the pound. What is the approximate value of this item as I cannot seem to find any for sale as a reference point. Thanks for any input on this matter.

3. Betsy says:

I have been cleaning the house of a clutterbug uncle who is laid up with a broken hip. Imagine my surprise and joy when I moved a pile of boxes on the bathroom vanity and found the concealed revolving toothbrush holder! I spent a good half hour turning it back and forth; I was enthralled!

4. Mary says:

I have several 1950s items from a recent bathroom remodel. The original bathroom included chrome shower soap holder, revolving toothbrush holders, concealed fold down bathroom scale and toilet paper holder. What is the best method to resell these items?

5. Katie says:

Hi,
    Just bought a 1951 house and it has all three of these in the bathroom. The scale and relaxation unit are in good shape but just curious if you have heard of how people have tried to clean up the revolving toothbrush holder. It’s a little rusty and deteriorating and I am just trying to decide the best way to salvage it. I tried baking soda and vinegar and that helped a little, just not enough. But just hesitant about what to try as I don’t want to make it worse. Thanks! Your article was extremely helpful to me!

6. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Katie, I suggest that you try existing manufacturers of such products to see what they recommend.