1967 Vintage Nutone Fire/Intruder Alarm system — New Old Stock woddity

vintage-nutone-alarm-box-originalWe consider ourselves connoisseurs o’ the vintage Nutone — such an inventive company! — so we were super excited to see this New Old Stock treasure pop up for sale on ebay:  a 1967 Nutone Intruder/Fire Alarm System (model s 150), mint in box (listing bel0w. It include instructions, mounting hardware, warning light, push buttons, wiring, heat detectors and the control system — and of course, terrific graphics on the packaging. It may not be the latest home security technology, but what a wonderful collector’s piece.

vintage-alarm-system-nutoneThe listing isn’t too descriptive — and we have zero idea whether this is functional — or should even be depended upon, as compared to modern systems. But it sure is sweet looking. From the listing:

Vintage NUTONE Intruder Fire ALARM SYSTEM..Circa 1967….Model S-150…Condition is NEW IN BOX…looks NEVER USED…box has some storage wear…What you see is what you get….HAVE NOT TESTED…RARE Vintage NUTONE Alarm System for your collection…Classic GRAPHICS on the box…COOL.

Here’s the listing, and a few other current vintage Nutone beauties we spotted (now gone):

vintage-nutone-fire-alarm-original-boxYou’ve gotta love the vintage illustration on this original box — the intruder is wearing a suit.

vintage-nutone-alarm-tag-original

vintage-Nutone-alarm-system-instructions

nutone-alarm-system-NOSHow about making this the epicenter display piece in a spy themed vintage rec room?

vintage-nutone-alarm-system-NOS

vintage-nutone-alarm-system-NIBMany thanks to ebay seller happyantiquers for allowing us to share these photos and to add them to our forever archive of odd and wonderful home products and features from the way back time machine days.

1. linda h says:

I recently saw a Nutone add in one of my vintage magazines that had a function I never knew a Nutone could do. I forget now what it was but will spend this cool, rainy afternoon looking for it again; then I will let you know what I found.

2. Sarah g (roundhouse) says:

We salvaged a lot of fixtures from a midmod house being torn down and we came back with two fire alarms. It took us a minute to figure out what they were, but once the alarm started going off we figured it out pretty quickly! They are pretty low-tech but hey they are still working 60 years later! No batteries, no need to plug them in, there is simply a thermometer inside and once it reaches a certain temperature they go off like crazy. I wanted to install them in my house but the BF didn’t think they were reliable/safe enough

3. Robin, NV says:

Who cares if it works, that box is awesome. I like that the intruder is wearing a hat and suit – “Stop!” “Catch him!” hehe.

4. Diane says:

I just saw one of these on top of a house in our neighborhood. Our next door neighbor has a speaker on top of her house.

Diane
    Honey Stop The Car vintage

5. Kim says:

I know! That is one nattily-dressed Bad Guy, indeed. It’s like he took a moment off to burgle before catching the 7:48 to Manhattan.

6. Jim DeAngelis says:

That’s no woddity! 🙂 I worked in electronic security during the 80’s and 90’s, and those were fairly common here in Baltimore! I replaced several of those with more modern (at the time) systems. The NuTone systems were a “diy” grade, compared to contemporary professionally installed systems. I don’t know how much equipment from the 60’s I’ve scrapped in years past!

7. Tut says:

My parents have this in their house, built around 1969/70. The control/test unit (big beige box with black button, green light, white button is on the wall in the laundry room. The klaxon (no amber light attached) is on the wall at the top of the stairs to the top floor. Then each floor has 1 or 2 heat detectors in the ceilings. We used to make people go to the stairs and wait for a surprise, then we’d go down and hit the test button.

8. Mike S says:

At least the thieves in those days knew a little about fashion. Where can I get a Mid-Mod gangster hat like that one?

9. Jill says:

Just bought a house with a Nutone s100 alarm. Have no idea how it works. Cant seem to find a user manual. Can anyone help?

10. Kevin says:

Hi
    Being that you are a vintage Nutone connoisseur, I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I just found a bunch of Nutone appliances in an estate including two NOS Nutone s- 132 alarms. They look almost identical too the ones you posted but have no plastic light. Do you have any idea of how I might test them out? There were no directions in the boxes and I cant find anything online.
    Thanks

11. Pam Kueber says:

Hi Kevin, I am not an expert on this. On issues like this — that involve safety issues — I recommend you find and consult with a properly licensed expert. Good luck.