B

Breaking News: GE to introduce retro style kitchen appliances in September

Appliance White — Chrome (No stainless steel version) — Old fashioned logo — Analog!
retro refrigerator stove dishwasher

Breaking news on the retrosphere — GE is releasing a new “Artistry” line of appliances with retro styling. The line comes in two colors — black and white — with a focus on simplicity and attractive design. The line will be released in Fall of 2013, and is marketed towards young, first time homeowners who are looking for stylish and affordable kitchen appliances. The retro-contemporary design of the line ensures it will fit in a wide range of kitchen styles from modern to vintage. It is great to see new, affordable appliance options becoming available for those of us with an eye for retro style.

Artistry_Range-2Artistry-Kitchen

Press release:

GE Unveils the First Line of Appliances Designed by a Millennial for Millennials

• Unique design focuses on simplicity, creating an entirely new aesthetic at an affordable price for first-time homebuyers, younger consumers
  • GE Appliances has tripled investment in design over the last two years

GE-retro-appliancesLOUISVILLE, Ky.—June 26, 2013—(NYSE: GE)—With the introduction of the GE Artistry™ Series, GE’s designers focus on the needs of today’s generation of Millennials and their desire to uniquely express themselves. Created by a 27-year-old GE industrial designer with his own generation in mind, the Artistry Series provides first-time homebuyers with a distinctive and cool appearance at a price they can afford. This new line of stylishly sensible kitchen products includes five appliances: a gas range, electric range, bottom-freezer refrigerator, over-the-range microwave and top-control dishwasher.

Artistry_Bottom-Freezer-2Today’s Millennials comprise a significant number of first-time homebuyers; in fact, according to real estate brokerage company, Redfin, homebuyers in the 25- to-34-year-old age group make up the largest portion of homebuyers.

retro modern appliances“These buyers are price conscious and design savvy, but also want appliances from a brand they trust,” said Lou Lenzi, director of GE’s Industrial Design Operation. “In today’s marketplace, affordable appliances tend to look the same; GE Artistry Series fills that void for consumers by offering unique-looking products not currently sold by other manufacturers.”

Aristry_Bottom-FreezerDesigned to delight and disrupt at retail

Most appliances in this segment of the market have similar features that consumers use every day; the Artistry Series offers this, as well as a design aesthetic that will stand out in the home and on the retail floor.

Artistry_Range-black“Investing in the design of these appliances was a top priority for our team,” said Lenzi. “We’ve tripled our design resources over the past two years, and after much research, Tomas DeLuna, industrial designer for GE Appliances’ Concept and Brand team, was tapped to lead the development of the Artistry Series. The look needed to be simple and approachable with very clean lines. DeLuna’s design sensibilities made him an ideal fit to lead the project.”

DeLuna took the opportunity to design for his own generation by focusing on touchpoints that mattered to him, in areas where consumers interact most with the product—handles, knobs and clocks. “Making the critical consumer touchpoints metallic, and set against either a pure, white gloss or black gloss finish, creates a look that is both familiar to our consumers, yet remains fresh and modern,” said DeLuna. “That’s what makes the GE Artistry Series special; the design is authentic and contemporary with a nod to the past not currently offered in the marketplace.”

Artistry_MicrowaveThe GE logo, visible as a badge on the appliances, also reflects this philosophy. The GE monogram with the words “General” and “Electric” recalls the product badges of the past, yet the juxtaposition of chrome and high-gloss color evokes the core, contemporary Artistry design principles.

Both the new dishwasher and refrigerator are ENERGY STAR®-qualified appliances. The bottom-freezer refrigerator costs $49 to operate annually.

Artistry_Dishwasher-blackThe full GE Artistry Series will be available in September 2013. Estimated retail price of the full GE Artistry product suite is $2,416.*

*Retailers set their own prices. Estimated retail pricing per appliance is as follows: bottom-freezer refrigerator, $1,099; top-control dishwasher, $499; over-the-range microwave, $219; gas range and electric range, $599.

Personally, I’m digging the design of the GE Artistry line — and I think it will appeal to many retro/modern loving folks like myself. Now how to convince my husband that we need to spring for a new white GE Artistry dishwasher when they come out this fall?

GE-retro-logo

Pam adds: It is sooooo interesting to see how GE seems to go out of their way to avoid using the term “retro”. They say “contemporary with a nod to the past.” But this suite of kitchen appliances is so old skool looking — they used an old fashioned logo — appliance white (no stainless steel!) — chrome — and analog! It’s like they are afraid of getting tagged with the retro-moniker out of concern it will pigeonhole them. Oh well. I see a lot of readers going for the stove and fridge, in white, at these prices. However, if you want more sensuous curves — and color — Big Chill is still your likely best go-to.

See all our stories about REFRIGERATOR options here — and be sure to see the Fisher Paykel counter depth, which has similar lines and is counter-depth!

1. Scott says:

As an early, no-nonsense postwar look you could almost fall for that electric oven if it weren’t for that blasted smooth cooktop.

2. Mindy says:

Wow – how nice – I am definitely going to take a look at these in the Fall. I wish they would make them in Avocado Green!

3. Jackie says:

Great info, Julie. Thanks.

One last question–will this one have the lidded silverware baskets at the front of the rack? Honestly that’s the one feature that owners of current GE dishwashers seem to dislike because it seems to block water from getting to the detergent.

4. We are planning a kitchen remodel. I really don’t need retro but don’t prefer stainless. These are quite nice. I would consider the refrigerator and microwave. The stove is a critical piece and needs to work really well, so we will up level it. And frankly, for small mid-century modern kitchens you can’t beat Bosch for dishwasher. Tiny and quit. I am kind of not into the concept that all the appliances need to match. I want to get the best value, and most effective appliance in each category. No manufacturer excels in all these things. But, am pretty sure I want all white. It will be a deal breaker if I can’t get white.

5. Ann-Marie Meyers says:

Now, we wait for color. Buttercup, maybe? Or a slightly more yellow version of harvest gold?
    I can’t afford the Big Chill refrigerator, and I am nursing along my 1990’s Kenmore with the broken freezer shelves and wonky thermostat until the right one comes along.
    This one may be it. The price is right.

6. Jennifer says:

Thank you GE for giving us an affordable option. Is it as cute as my late 1940s Frigidaire, no, but the freezer is tempting. They are simple and clean design. Not only that, the preliminary specs means the 66 1/2″ height given in the specs means it fits under our odd size cupboards. Looking forward to seeing them in person! Thank you Julie Wood for answering the myriad of questions and Pam, what would we do without you?!

7. Pat says:

Oh, how I wish I needed a new refrigerator! and dishwasher! Who knows, I may need one soon (hoping). I hate stainless steel and love retro, these are just perfect! I just realized, I could use a new microwave!

8. denise says:

That’s my concern, too. I’ve been procrastinating on getting a DW because I keep reading reviews on all types of models and even with the pricier models, there are a lot of complaints.

9. denise says:

I noticed the depth in the photo…way too deep for me. That’s about 10″ (I realize including handle) that it juts out from a standard countertop. I’m a top freezer person, too. Guess I’ll just be hanging onto my older fridge (but not old enough to be a coooool older fridge) 🙂

10. Amy Harvey says:

Pam: We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen, but are willing to WAIT on our appliance purchase until these come out in September… they are SOOOOOO cool and I LOVE them!! Will they be available in the “big box” stores?(ie Home Depot or Lowes), or how will we be able to purchase them?? Thanks for any help you can offer! ~ Amy

11. Jan says:

Yay! It’s a big start in the right direction! Now if we can just get them to put those appliances out in turquoise, mint green, yellow, light blue, pink…

12. diane mcmurphy says:

I second all of the positive comments about this line….”Yay!”, sums up my feelings. Is it perfect? Maybe not, but oh my, what a great start!

There are MANY of us out there who have been looking for an affordable alternative to BIg Chill, Smeg, Elmira etc. I know, because I have been looking, for several years, for such appliances. I have considered buying a vintage refrigerator, however, DH wouldn’t hear of it….sigh….

We are building a new home, and along with our Chambers stove, I believe we will probably have this wonderful refrigerator and dishwasher.

Thank you to GE for filling the void in affordable, (dare I say it?) retro style appliances!…and a second ‘thank you’ to Julie Wood for her helpful and timely input.

13. mollymcFABULOUS says:

I’m pretty sure I just secretly hoped our range and fridge would break so I could get these. Oy vey..

14. mollymcFABULOUS says:

Haha, that was the first thing I thought when I saw the clock only had two hands! Good thing everyone has timers on their cell phones these days ;]