T

Two metal-rim bathroom sinks with 8″ faucet spreads — the only source I know of

hudee rim bathroom sink 8" centersmetal rim bathroom sink 8" spreadsWow. This story is proof that primary reporting is important and that I should never “assume.” For years, I have known about Ceco Sinks — but looking at their website I had assumed that they were manufacturing their sinks — all porcelain enamel on cast iron — for Kohler and other companies. Well, an email from reader Sarah prompted me to finally call them and argh, I learned that they are actually competitors — yes, they are another source altogether — for cast iron bathroom and kitchen sinks. And importantly, and the subject of this first story about the company and its products: They make two designs of metal rim — aka hudee ring — bathroom sinks that include both 4″ and 8″ spreads for the faucet. This is important news to Retro Renovators, because Kohler recently discontinued the 8″ spread on their similar Tahoe model, leaving those of us who prefer an 8″ spread with only vintage options to consider.

The two Ceco bathroom sinks you want to look at are under the “Lavatories” section of their website“.

hudee rim bathroom sink 8" centersAbove: The #580 and #581 Maui sink — one model number is for the 4″ spread, the other, for 8″ spread — read the details. Kohler makes a sink similar to this — their Tahoe — but today it is available only with a 4″ spread.

metal rim bathroom sink 8" spreadsAbove: The #578 Kauai — looks like there’s just one model number (?) — be sure to specify 4″ or 8″.

Like their other products, Ceco’s two hudee-rimmed bathroom sinks come in six colors: White, biscuit, almond, bone, black and platinum (similar to Kohler’s ice grey, Ceco told me). Alas, prior to 2009, Ceco offered up to 50 colors. But the Great Recession and related factors forced Ceco to streamline their product line.

Even so, it’s great to have these two bathroom sink options available — especially because it’s also difficult today to find a good, retro-styled 4″ spread faucet. My favorite option for an 8″ model is the 8″ Mississippi bathroom faucet from Strom Plumbing — their 4″ model is no longer available. I used the 8″ Mississippis in two of my bathrooms, I love them.

How to buy a Ceco sink

Ceco Sinks is a wholesaler — they do not sell directly to the public. To order one of their sinks, try a local plumbing supply store (not a big box store, though) to see if they can order the sink for you. If you have any trouble, call the company, and they can direct you to the nearest regional distributor.

The company tells me their prices are competitive with — maybe even 10-15% less than –Kohler, as one example. However, depending on how close you are to a distributor, shipping charges may be required, which would affect the total price.

5 designs of kitchen sinks with hudees:

1. Sam R says:

I have two Regency Blue (American) “Standard” brand sinks. Both have some rust around the overflow, but I plan to get some properly colored repair enamel and sort it out once and for all.

2. sarah says:

yeah! So happy my tip helped 🙂 keep up the good work, I’m a big fan of the site…it’s my remodel style “go to”

3. Lisa Compo says:

Whoops..I didn’t mean to imply that white was a part of the “griege” scheme. White is a timeless beauty that stands alone. 🙂

4. Anastasia K says:

Hello!

Thank you for the informative article and comments. Hubby and I moved into a wonderful 1957 ranch one year ago, and we promised ourselves to live here without making changes for a while. I am so glad that I did, because now I adore EVERYTHING about both of our bathrooms (all original except lighting and towel bars). The only problem is that one of our original cast iron bathroom sinks has corrosion and rust in the “apron” piece underneath the main basin. So it doesn’t look like it leaks, but it leaks slowly underneath (where it cannot be seen) and winds up on the bottom of the cabinet. I am reluctant to buy a replacement if I can repair the original. Has anybody ever repaired one? I would love some suggestions, as we are new to the world of mid-century renovations. Thanks!

5. Scott says:

I just put in the Kohler this fall with my new countertop and the fit is so snug you can’t even get a fingernail under the ring.

Of course my installer knew what a “Hudee” was so maybe that put me in good hands. 🙂

6. pam kueber says:

hehe, yes, maybe “what is a hudee” should be a screening questions for contractors and other professionals we let into our houses!

7. Mary Elizabeth says:

Anne-Marie, I do think it’s a matter of quality and proper installation. The Hudee ring in my summer kitchen sink has no problems whatsoever, and it is from 1959. In fact, the only thing wrong with that 55 year-old porcelain sink is that, because it’s the only sink in the basement, generations of do-it-yourselfers have just dumped paint brushes and whatever in there without cleaning out the stains. A tiny bit of the tried and true aluminum and stainless steel cleaner Cameo on a rag, followed by a warm water rinse and polish should perk it up if it ever gets dull. The woman who sold me my house told me her mother used to scrub around the edge with a soft toothbrush, and I recommend that for any place (like around bath faucets) that grunge tends to accumulate. The only place the original homeowner had trouble was with the chrome trim around her counters,upstairs and downstairs. Believe me, if I am able to rejuvenate my porcelain sink, I’ll make sure all painters clean up after themselves. Including me. 🙂

8. Mary Elizabeth says:

I don’t disagree with anything either Pam or Lisa has said. I think color and optimism go hand-in-hand, and it’s a chicken-and-egg sort of thing. Our environments shape our moods as our moods determine how we arrange our environments. Who could be what the war generation called a “Gloomy Gus” in an aqua kitchen or yellow and white bathroom?

9. Anne-Marie says:

I really appreciate all the feedback here. I love the look of Hudee rings. They make the sink and counter-top look neat and tidy. In general, am a huge fan of trim and all the little details that make for a thoughtfully finished look, but have been very nervous about installing a hudee because I wan’t sure I could keep it clean.

Now however, I am about to embark on a bath remodel, and I am ready to embrace a hudee!

10. Noah says:

I am in the process of getting a nice retro house in Cincinnati. I had a plumber come in to give me quotes on getting things back up and running as the house has sat empty with the water off for aprox 10 years. The facets in a jack n jill bathroom are what he is calling Crane DialESE ?? he said parts are not available if the valves are bad or the pop up drains.
    Is this true?

11. Jason Perry says:

Mom had the same sofa, chairs and Lane tables in the living room for 22 years!!!! Dining room furniture changed only once, with old set going to my brother. Kitchen table and chairs stayed for 22 years, too, but were reupholstered. I think that if dad had lived longer and my older brother hadn’t decided to move to Florida, we all might have lived in that house much longer. The house I have in Florida is Mom’s…..she passed in 2008. A 1985 ranch. I am half/ass retro decorating Mad Men style trying to do retro projects that provide the style and feel without the expense of demolition and reconstruction. Changing the bathroom sinks and vanity countertops is one of those types projects. I was going to go with the Tahoe, but was anticipating having to rebuild the vanity to accommodate the size, until I saw the Ceco brand sinks, which may drop into the existing hole with the Hudee ring or only require minimal enlarging of the hole. What I wanted to note is that the bathroom tubs, toilets and sinks are that u*** [edited] Almond color and with the lack of availability of matching color sets and my minimal reconstruct budget, I will just have to stay with Almond……but with a Hudee ring sink! Of course, I could just live with the bathrooms the way they are and save the money……NAW!!! Thanks for your website, Pam!